Mclaren and Ferrari driver situation: Random stream of consciousness

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
I have written before about Hamilton and McLaren, Ill add that the only thing stopping Ferrari hiring Perez is that he is too fast. Montezemolo may opine that he lacks experience but for me the real answer lays in Alonso’s body language after Monza. Perez had beaten him in the Sauber fair and square. In fact Alonso may have not have even been on the podium were it not for team orders and a compliant Massa who drove a great race in fact.

Alonso did not even speak to Perez, did not face him or acknowledge his great achievement. In my view Perez has now made his name as a top driver and joins the elite group. To Alonso he is now the enemy. Alonso has proven he can be a gentleman and magnanimous in victory and a great team mate but only when he is clearly the dominant force. We all saw what happened at McLaren when Hamilton’s pure skill threatened him-complete meltdown. Followed by decisions to share secrets that ultimately cost McLaren £100m pounds in fines.
Alonso needs to be the star of the show to be happy.

Getting to my point. Ferrari does not want a driver to challenge and possibly beat Alonso. For some reason it’s just a scenario that the Maranello outfit has never been good at ever since Schumacher joined them. If you drive as #2 at Ferrari you are #2 and play a supporting role only. It was made clear to Eddie Irvine back when he signed for them (helped by Eddie Jordan). It was abundantly clear when Rubens drove as #2. It is ever clearer now.

So if you are Ferrari who do you want? In fact why do you even want to drop Massa if what you want is a clear #2 driver? It’s a quite bizarre conundrum. We want someone not too fast but not too slow. Can you think of anyone? Not sure I can, maybe Heikki Kovaleinen, he did that job at McLaren for a while.

Which leaves us to discuss Perez. He is a product of the Ferrari academy. They have helped him, helped built him up but if they don’t sign him what for him? Personally I think he has the makings of a World Champion and it would be nice if he can realise those talents. Will Sauber manage to challenge for a WDC? Ms Monisha Kaltenborn is clearly an intelligent and great operator but can they unlock the rivers of cash required to do this? It would be a fairy story if they did and in my view harder than when say Jordan F1 were in the title hunt in that famous season in Eddies History.

So where for Perez? I know a team that wants the best and is not locked in for a top driver for next season. I reckon Perez needs to give Martin Whitmarsh a call.

Luca di Montezemolo's statement of Perez being too inexperienced is ridiculous.
The downside of an inexperienced driver is usually that he's not very consistent and doesn't use every opportunity to score points. But that's much more the case with Massa rather than Perez :rolleyes:
Anyway, I think Massa doesn't have his fate in his own hands anyway. If, for some reason, Alonso doesn't manage to win the WDC they will need someone to blame and who would be better for that than Massa?
If Alonso does win the WDC, they might just go with "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" and keep Massa no matter how he performs.

Do tell?
My recollection is that Kimi mentally went AWOL and Filpe outdrove him.
What happened was that the nr2 simply became the faster driver that year.
Same thing can happen today. the only way someone becomes a nr2 driver is because of their own performance not cutting it.

Kimi has played the nr2 role just like Massa. And it was all down to themselves.
Not an order from Ferrari saying you should drive this fast and you can´t be faster then this person.

I have written before about Hamilton and McLaren, Ill add that the only thing stopping Ferrari hiring Perez is that he is too fast. Montezemolo may opine that he lacks experience but for me the real answer lays in Alonso’s body language after Monza. Perez had beaten him in the Sauber fair and square. In fact Alonso may have not have even been on the podium were it not for team orders and a compliant Massa who drove a great race in fact.

Alonso would have pass Massa without problems as he ad DRS and he was clearly faster at the last stage of the race.

Alonso did not even speak to Perez, did not face him or acknowledge his great achievement. In my view Perez has now made his name as a top driver and joins the elite group. To Alonso he is now the enemy. Alonso has proven he can be a gentleman and magnanimous in victory and a great team mate but only when he is clearly the dominant force. We all saw what happened at McLaren when Hamilton’s pure skill threatened him-complete meltdown. Followed by decisions to share secrets that ultimately cost McLaren £100m pounds in fines.
Alonso needs to be the star of the show to be happy.

Alonso was talking to Pérez in Spanish most of the time they were close after the race, I don't know where you get that from.

In McLaren case, was Ron Dennis forcing Hamilton as Nr.1 and the problem in Hungary (that I explained with videos like 20 times in this forum) what lead to the disaster for McLaren that year.

Getting to my point. Ferrari does not want a driver to challenge and possibly beat Alonso. For some reason it’s just a scenario that the Maranello outfit has never been good at ever since Schumacher joined them. If you drive as #2 at Ferrari you are #2 and play a supporting role only. It was made clear to Eddie Irvine back when he signed for them (helped by Eddie Jordan). It was abundantly clear when Rubens drove as #2. It is ever clearer now.
So if you are Ferrari who do you want? In fact why do you even want to drop Massa if what you want is a clear #2 driver? It’s a quite bizarre conundrum. We want someone not too fast but not too slow. Can you think of anyone? Not sure I can, maybe Heikki Kovaleinen, he did that job at McLaren for a while.

Which leaves us to discuss Perez. He is a product of the Ferrari academy. They have helped him, helped built him up but if they don’t sign him what for him? Personally I think he has the makings of a World Champion and it would be nice if he can realise those talents. Will Sauber manage to challenge for a WDC? Ms Monisha Kaltenborn is clearly an intelligent and great operator but can they unlock the rivers of cash required to do this? It would be a fairy story if they did and in my view harder than when say Jordan F1 were in the title hunt in that famous season in Eddies History.

So where for Perez? I know a team that wants the best and is not locked in for a top driver for next season. I reckon Perez needs to give Martin Whitmarsh a call.

@Hampus Andersson explained it perfectly.

Alonso did not even speak to Perez, did not face him or acknowledge his great achievement.

You watched a different race then :)

What Ferrari needs is what Alonso needs. They have the star, and if he is happy, he will perform like the best. His performances are also better when he knows he is the n.1 of the team, and when he knows he is simply faster than his team mate. Knowing that what is he able to do, I don't see why Ferrari should sign a top driver. They just need to focus on making a top car.

You watched a different race then :)

What Ferrari needs is what Alonso needs. They have the star, and if he is happy, he will perform like the best. His performances are also better when he knows he is the n.1 of the team, and when he knows he is simply faster than his team mate. Knowing that what is he able to do, I don't see why Ferrari should sign a top driver. They just need to focus on making a top car.
So David it would appear that the second part of your reply agrees in the main with what I have said.
The first part I dont understand. I saw what I saw and in the drivers room Alonso blanked Perez.
Anyway its got us all talking.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back