Mallya: The RRA is a must-have for F1

dal1110jy58_2632185.jpg

Force India owner Vijay Mallya says his team are "completely committed" to the Resource Restriction Agreement, saying it's a "must-have" for F1.

Discussions on a new RRA, with cost-cutting measures once again the major talking point, have intensified in recent weeks as June 30 is the cut-off point before the World Motor Sport Council vote takes place.
Mallya says he is in favour of resource restriction as it will help to secure the sport's long-term future.
"I think that the RRA is something that everybody agrees to, in principal," he told the official Formula One website.

"Even when FOTA was together - and active - all the teams agreed with the concept of resource restriction. In fact I would go one step further and say that the RRA was one of the reasons why FOTA was created. And then one by one, teams went in their own directions so we never had the chance to agree.

"The concept of the RRA is a must-have if Formula One is to survive in the long term. It also must provide a level playing field. Look at the amount of excitement this season. We have had seven winners and only one repeat victor, which is fantastic. The big four teams are dropping down and the midfield teams are getting on the podium. For fans across the world this is fantastic compared to a predictable season where one team or one driver is always winning.

source

Then I unleash a counter-attack! Sort of!

Frank Williams against cost control 'interference'

Williams team founder Sir Frank Williams says he opposes any method of 'invasive' cost controls in Formula 1, while pushing for restrictions on driver salaries.
Amid ongoing discussions over the future of F1 spending control, Williams said he did not want to see teams' finances 'interfered' with.
"I am against any kind of interference. I don't want any third-party interference with one's business, to have people sneaking around wanting to check this and that. It's just like waiting for the taxman every day," he told the official F1 website.
"Williams is not pleading for more restrictions. But I have said many times that we have to control driver costs."
He feels people should accept that an element of financial inequality is inherent in F1.
"There are 12 teams and each operates in different circumstances," said Williams. "We have several manufacturer teams. One of them is Ferrari, who seem to have a great deal of money and who are in effect subsidised. But that is fine - they are Ferrari. They are the core of Formula 1 and that is how it should be.
"That is fine with me. Take me, there are so many men in the paddock who have more hair than me and it has always pissed me off, but I live with it! You learn to get on with it."
Williams added: "Well, I am not a unique person, but I know for sure that millions of men would almost kill to be in Formula 1. I am exaggerating, but Formula 1 is so attractive that just to be there and be part of it, people would accept far more disadvantages than being at the far end of the grid."
Source

dal1110jy58_2632185.jpg

Force India owner Vijay Mallya says his team are "completely committed" to the Resource Restriction Agreement, saying it's a "must-have" for F1.

Discussions on a new RRA, with cost-cutting measures once again the major talking point, have intensified in recent weeks as June 30 is the cut-off point before the World Motor Sport Council vote takes place.
Mallya says he is in favour of resource restriction as it will help to secure the sport's long-term future.
"I think that the RRA is something that everybody agrees to, in principal," he told the official Formula One website.

"Even when FOTA was together - and active - all the teams agreed with the concept of resource restriction. In fact I would go one step further and say that the RRA was one of the reasons why FOTA was created. And then one by one, teams went in their own directions so we never had the chance to agree.

"The concept of the RRA is a must-have if Formula One is to survive in the long term. It also must provide a level playing field. Look at the amount of excitement this season. We have had seven winners and only one repeat victor, which is fantastic. The big four teams are dropping down and the midfield teams are getting on the podium. For fans across the world this is fantastic compared to a predictable season where one team or one driver is always winning.

source

Because he's losing money hand over fist.

I am definitely not a fan of the "king of good times", but I agree with him here. In 2014, engine costs will jump from 5 Million per year to 14-23 Million. There is no way the midfield teams will be able to compete with the frontrunners like this year when they have to shoulder that kind of financial burden.

And Frank Williams is a bit hypocritical. Last year, the team wasn't even sustainable financially, but now that he's got two drivers paying tons of cash and a car that is good, he doesn't want to give up that advantage again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back