• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Looking for a wheel

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Luke Espin, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Luke Espin

Luke Espin

Ratings:
    +64
    Hello there. I'm 15 going on 16 and I've had a passion for racing since being a developing foetus.

Now, I believe it's time for a change. I'm in an XBOX 360 F1 racing league on here, and I'm ever-increasingly moving away from a casual racer to a sim racer. Currently, I am having to make-do with the controller. Laptimes are decent most of the time, I consider myself quite a quick and established racer, especially for my age. But that comes with a price. I cannot push anymore. I am trying my absolute hardest and I genuinely believe that I have reached the limit in which my controller allows. My hands are in pain and my fingers become pretty numb. I don't know if it is the way I'm holding the controller, but it's enough for me. I don't want to risk any kind of chronic pain or any injuries in the long term.

Now, I'm still a student. I don't have the cash to throw around to get a top-of-the-range rig with all the trimmings, but I don't want to make the mistake I've made many times before - buying cheap wheels. I have a boggo-standard wired MadCatz wheel and already it's buttons are unresponsive and I feel terribly uncomfortable sitting the thing on my lap. My room has potential to fit a bigger wheel that need not rest on my lap, but the question is... which wheel to choose?

As I've said, I can't afford anything too fancy. Here are the requirements:

• Must be compatible for XBOX 360
    • Must come complete with pedals
    • Flappy paddles are a must (even better if it comes with a gearstick so I'm free to make the choice)
    • Needs to be a decent size. (I feel much more comfortable and in control with a true-to-life size or as near true-to-life as possible)
    • No more than £100 (If push comes to shove, no more than £150)
    • Must be reliable. MUST. (A good warranty is indeed a bonus just incase)
    I hope that you can help me, and I'd be most grateful if you can. Thanks in advance! ;)