Loadcell vs conical break mod

Hello all,
Anyone here have actual experience with loadcell brake pedal vs using a conical break mod?
For further clarification, I'd like to hear from someone who has done some actual A/B testing moving back and forth between the two to see whether one really was better than the other, rather than someone having moved from one to the other and "think" one is better.

I've run with loadcell brakes before but am now looking at a Thrustmaster wheel/pedal set and wonder if I have to factor in replacing the pedals right off the bat or not.

I have both Thrustmaster T3PA with conical break mod & Fanatec CSL pedals with LC brake. The conical break is a cheap solution and the feel is not too bad, but the main issue is the max. break point always change because of the combination of rubber cone and potentiometer.

Upvote 0
I ran the T3PAs for years before switching to a pair of CSL Elite LCs. Obviously the CSLs are better but the T3PAs are by no means bad.

Personally I've replaced the actual rubber cone part of the cone brake mod and put a squash ball between the metal spacer and the brake pedal for what I feel is a more progressive brake feel, with this the T3PAs are perfectly acceptable for sims/games that have issues with multiple input devices. Like dabinn says above just remember to calibrate the brake when you start or T1 will be interesting ( This is easily done by braking as far as the pedal will allow you to go with your brake mod ).

TLDR: Obviously I prefer my over twice as expensive pedals with a LC, but the T3PAs will serve you until/if you decide to replace them, and for when running separate pedals aren't an option.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for your input!
So what you're saying is that the max brake point is changing between gaming sessions? Or is it over time due to the rubber changing (getting stiffer over time i guess?)?
Or is this purely down to the calibration as you mentioned @Rodent ?
Don't want my brake pedal to be changing every time i start gaming, would make learning brake points so hard, as if i don't struggle enough with it already :p

Upvote 0
Nah it shouldn't be constantly changing. Brake as hard as you can to calibrate the pedal and you'll be good to go.

Like I said I'd invest in a squash ball to replace the actual rubber cone with but I think that largely comes down to preference, the rubber cone is somewhat adjustable but I could never get it quite where I wanted whereas cramming the squash ball between the metal spacer and the brake gives me a nice progressive feel and better initial resistance in the pedal.

Upvote 0
Yes this is an old thread, but I easily found it, so I want to put my opinion for those it still may reach. If you are debating between CSL Elite and the T3PA Pro, then stop listening to anyone who recommends the T3PA. I made that mistake, and it was such a bad move. They are like a toy compared to Fanatec. I actually never could stick with sim racing, and sold everything...and I think it was the T3PA feeling so simple and toy like. Now to be fair, I tried the conical rubber, and it was like hitting a wall for me, so I took it out.
I just bought CSL Elites pedals and a new wheel, and starting over learning. Yes some guys can be great with cheap pedals, but not me. For the price difference, even if you found T3PAs for $100...it shouldn't even be a debate. Just save a bit more if you can't afford $200.

Upvote 0
If you are debating between CSL Elite and the T3PA Pro, then stop listening to anyone who recommends the T3PA.

But for those who already have the T3PA pedals, there's another viable option - the loadcell mod from Sim Racing Solutions in the UK. Because I'd never tried a loadcell brake, I didn't think that the conical brake mod was too bad. However, reading about using a loadcell prompted me to look into it further. I looked closely at the CSL Elite LC pedal set but, although most reviews seemed positive, for me they were a fairly large investment plus I read a lot of complaints about problems with the potentiometer gears on the throttle and clutch which put me off. I then read some good things about the Sim Racing Solutions loadcell mod for the T3PAs which costs less than half the price of the CSL Elite LC pedals so decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. Unlike some other loadcell mods, there's still pedal movement when braking and it was easy to fit and set up.

I agree that if you don't already have T3PAs, the Elite LC pedals are certainly worth looking into (but do read the complaints as well). However, if you have T3PAs, then I would definitely recommend the loadcell mod.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. I do like the clutch and accel pedal spring on the CSL, plus the longer distance you can push them. I am soooo much better with load cell brakes. It is hard to lock up the wheels, opposed to impossible to NOT lock them up. Without load cell, you can't feel anything. Garbage

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back