1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux version news

Discussion in 'Racer' started by gazoo, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hello guys,

it has been a while already I was playing Racer on linux. Now I got the time again and wanted to see the progress of it but I see that the linux version has been discontinued. Is this just a temporary state, or is this for good?

I have seen some guys being able to run it with wine, but that's not my case. I didn't manage to run it under wine.

Please, tell me the news.

Thanks,
    Bernard

2. There have been almost no news about a linux version for a few years now, I think.

Honestly, developing games for linux is quite hard, since there are so many more issues with different distros and graphics drivers etc.

Why can't you just set up a dual-boot system with a secondary Windows installation for gaming?
    (I myself have a triple-boot system with Fedora12, Win7 and WinXP; If I had a Mac, I would probably also setup a dual or triple boot system with Windows and Linux).

3. KS95

KS95
    RACER Moderator

I used Linux for ages and was able to play Racer with Wine. Although it runs a lot smoother now I have Windows 7.

+1 for dual/triple/quad-boot.

4. Well, I am Linux only user and I see no reason for developing Linux version of Racer. I have 3 Windows Racer betas currently active - v0.6.5.5; v0.8.8.1 and v0.8.32. They are all working with no issues on Wine 1.3.17 in Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.2 64bit. Issues that a Linux user might have are probably no different than those of average Windows user, mainly a video card that is not able to run latest cg versions, or trying to run old non-cg content on a newer cg Racer. I would rather see Ruud putting his efforts into enhancing Windows Racer than developing Linux support for it..

5. Yes guys, your arguments are quite reasonable and I agree with you. I'm not a fan of a dualboot system, so I'll try to fix my issues with wine and run it that way then.

Have a good day!
    Bernard

6. Why not? Just curious...

7. Data corruption with some tools :) That was my bad in the old times.

But basically it is the philosophy behind - I don't want to adjust myself and buy a different system because of 1 or 2 apps that don't run on my current system. I want the developers to adjust to my need (not talking about Ruud, but in general) And for those who had done so, they know I reward them generously.

As I said, just a philosophy... ;-)

But I think after several years, I need to reinstall my system. All the new driver releases I haven't been catching up for 5 or 6 years...