LFS: Latest Graphic Update Blog Post and Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
LFS Kyoto Update 2.jpg

The LFS Development Team have been showcasing the latest work on the big graphical update for the Live for Speed racing simulation.

Still very much in the throws of performing what has all the signs of becoming a significant overhaul to this classic racing sim, the latest previews of which once again feature the Kyoto circuit - specifically some of the lighting improvements that are being added to the simulation.

LFS Kyoto Update 1.jpg

Hello Racers,

Our previous progress report was about the Kyoto updates and the new lighting system. Since then, Scawen has done more work on the lighting which may be interesting for some readers. Eric continued with Kyoto for some time. He has now moved onto South City, which isn't yet ready to show but we can show you some more pictures from Kyoto.

Originally the plan was to minimally update the existing track areas to make them work well with the new lighting and shadows. But some of the tracks were very old and Eric wanted to do extensive updates to bring them up to a more modern standard. It takes a long time to update the tracks, scenery and buildings, so Scawen has had the chance to do a lot of updates on the program side. We described in our April report the new lighting system that changes in real time from day to night.

LFS Kyoto Update 3.jpg

Sometimes there is a lot of technical work do be done, which is not all that interesting to describe. Many readers may hope for a long list of cool things that we have done but the reality, most of the time, is a lot of research and experimentation for small steps forward. So for this month's report there are some technical descriptions, with random screenshots of Kyoto between paragraphs.

We mentioned in the previous report some experiments with a realtime generated sky, which is the best way to allow day to night transitions. The sky is generated by a system created by Lukas Hosek and Alexander Wilkie. The sky itself is an important part of lighting, especially in shadows where surfaces are not lit directly by the sun. The sky can produce quite different light colour and intensity depending on the direction a surface is facing. In older versions of LFS the sky light was considered to be a single colour but we now use a method called spherical harmonics, described by Ravi Ramamoorthi and Pat Hanrahan. This produces diffuse lighting that is different depending on the direction.

LFS Kyoto Update 4.jpg
LFS Kyoto Update 5.jpg

The Hosek and Wilkie sky system can also produce the sun lighting colour depending on the sun's position in the sky. When the more realistic lighting values were used, we found the solid surfaces in game appeared too dark. Researching albedo values in the real world and comparing them with LFS we were able to apply a suitable adjustment, bringing us one step closer to a physically based lighting system. We still need to work on the night system, allowing some lights to be on all the time (e.g. pit garages) while other lights come on only in the night (e.g. flood lights).

We mentioned the problem of exposure in the previous report. When lighting changes in a realistic way there can be very bright or dark scenes so the exposure sometimes needs to be adjusted, just as it does with a real camera. Also there is the issue of very bright and dark areas within a single image. Part of the solution can be to use a high dynamic range (HDR) backbuffer. It uses more memory but allows for very dark or bright pixels to be represented accurately. To present the HDR image to a monitor, which only has a limited range, some kind of tone mapping must be used. You can read a bit more on this page by John Hable. We can now select an HDR backbuffer and tone mapping options in our development version. They have not been used in these screenshots but they may become more important as the night system improves.

Planned development on lighting includes a system to produce clouds in the generated skies and better night support including the brightness of artificial lights and automatic exposure control. Other development topics include getting the new tyre physics up to a good standard for release, and hopefully a system to allow the physics and graphics to run on different threads, making use of the multiple CPU cores.

We hope that was interesting for some readers, though it was a bit technical!

LFS Kyoto Update 6.jpg

So let that be a lesson for you all - you can never write off a good sim racing title - even after all these years.

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

@Will Mazeo Not every subjective opinion is bait, and not everyone is constantly trying to bait others into something. (I don't even really understand what I was supposed to be baiting for. In fact, I'd say your response was more of a bait than my original comment, as evidenced by me writing this.)

It's a good thing LFS is kinda "coming back", only 2/3 developers & it's a part-time game so of course you can't just expect HUGE updates! Having a family to take care and having your own job AND OTHER ""job"" to update a game is not easy, and IMO the physics are STILL realistic ! I always hoped to have better graphics, other then that I still like the game a lot!

• Deleted member 503495

I am looking forward to buying the S3 pack in 2020 or 2021. :thumbsup:

I see a couple of people repeat some messages about licenses expired as a way to not update previously released content on certain games... yet here we have something 15 years old being revisited. Good to see the F-BMW is getting revamped and it will look great once the 3D models catch up to the beautiful 2D art and the natural lighting.

Umm, why wait? S3 has been out for... I don't know how many years now... ages.
Aka the most expensive dlc track in the existence. I don't think any iracing is that expensive. 12£ for one track and then it is a roval.

Would be great to see LFS landing on Steam as open platform open to modders with Linux support...it will raise on popularity again in my opinion, especially because it is a really good experience on VR...
Lfs is totally out of date. I have no idea why anybody would choose to make mods for lfs instead of literally any other game. Ac is just million times better proposition and rf2 also exist if you don't like ac. The lfs physics can't do even a fraction of what you'd expect from modern sim. No bumpstops, no high speed dampers, no ground effects (can't simulate splitters, diffusers...), no anti-dive/squat suspension mechanics. I don't think it can even simulate an engine torque curve because it uses a simple equation to create a generic shape torque curve. Graphically it is even worse. Sure it has nice color palette but I don't think anybody chooses their games based on just that. And they want 36£/40€/44$ for it and it has never been discounted. Its car sounds are awful as well. Its tracks all have glass smooth driving surface (apart from the s3 dlc track).

Lfs was awesome literally about 13 years ago. It is still exactly the same game, same experience and 99% same content. It's only two strengths at this point in time are that it literally runs million fps on total potato pc and it has very pleasent user experience. You can change cars without leaving server, you can change tracks, cars and whatever and nobody has to leave the server. You can adjust every setting while driving. But it was exactly like that already in 2006 and nothing has changed.

everytime i see screenshots from rf2
7zJSqQ8.png
lmao, pretty much this for many people :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
personally I think this effect is annoying :D but to say LFS looks better than rF2 (especially since they are comparing the 2 using promo pics) it's just flat out trolling and trying to get this thread to go like all others, just look at those screen shots in first post.
Wouldn't be surprised if LFS devs themselves would disagree with those guys lol (for the dumb ones out there this part is a joke)

Lfs was the first sim I raced on. The game needs to have a free weekend on steam to bring people back and generate interest. It has some of the best vr I have seen in a racing game the rear mirrors work the best of any racing game.

lmao, pretty much this for many people :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
personally I think this effect is annoying :D but to say LFS looks better than rF2 (especially since they are comparing the 2 using promo pics) it's just flat out trolling and trying to get this thread to go like all others, just look at those screen shots in first post.
Wouldn't be surprised if LFS devs themselves would disagree with those guys lol (for the dumb ones out there this part is a joke)

The main problem with RF2 graphic right now is ambient light occlusion (global illumination), they are non existent, just look at objects when under the shadow or when the side of the cars doesn't face the sun, they are dark as night, cars interiors are a good example of what wrong with their engine, it look very wrong and unrealistic.

Without mentioning the dull and the excessively washed out colors palette.

That's why I think LFS will look much better after this update, even with less objects geometry or trackside objects, if you had read LFS devs blog posts you will discover that they even implemented vertex ambient occlusion (RF2 doesn't have that). Funny thing is they are using only specular map, normal map or displacement isn't implemented yet into their engine, and the trees are practically shaderless.

Meanwhile S397 devs are wasting resources improving cars shaders without proper base lightning system, how can they even nail any shader without a proper ambient light?

From those screenshots, it looks like GT4 graphics with better shadows and textures, which is a good start for long term improvements.

Last edited:
Seeing this post reminded me, yes, I have this Sim...LOL...it's been awhile so I fired it up, adjusted some settings and got it looking better than I had it before by checking the 'Post Processing Filter' in 'Misc'...it did wonders for the visual look and the Tracks look fantastic.
My go to car to drive is the XR GTR because the cockpit view is very decent looking compared to some of the other cars...needs some Audio updates though for all cars but the physics and FFB on my TS XW racer is just superb...not bad for an old Sim:inlove::)
Screenshots at Blackwood...without this threads updates though.
1 LFS BLACKWOOD copy.jpg
2 LFS BLACKWOOD copy.jpg
3 LFS BLACKWOOD copy.jpg
3a LFS BLACKWOOD copy.jpg
4 LFS BLACKWOOD XR GTR car cockpit copy.jpg

Despite it's age LFS still feels good to drive IMO, has decent tracks (albeit not real except Rockingham) and probably the best VR of any sim. Unfortunately, it's held back by the lack of cars, poor sound and the on-rails AI which rams you off the track. Shame it was never possible to add mods for tracks and cars.
What makes VR so good in this game? I got to test to now :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back