Lewis Hamilton going to Mercedes next season

I have to say that if I was in Ron Dennis shoes it would be quite tempting to say
"we made you my boy, 15 years of support, sesons in GP2, our backing when you and Fernando fell out, a race winning car 4 years out of 5, many poles one WDC and would have been 2 if you weren't so keen to win in China in season 1. Now you have these smart alec suits all over you and and have gone all rockstar on us. Tell you what why dont you have a season or two in another team and see how many races you win without McLaren my boy. When you get some perspective we will talk again-that is unless we find we are ok with another driver that is."

Back to my own words. I reckon he has made a bit of an arse of himself again lately. After last year when he appeared to grow a bit of manhood and humility after a tough year with popshername etc. He seems to be reverting to type.
Lewis, grow up, stop playing games and sack your management team. Ron Dennis has been negotiating driver contracts (with the legends of the sport) for more years than you have been alive.

I like Hamilton but I have to agree with you.
Sometimes he reminds me of my 6 year old and it bothers me because I want him to do well and to not give the BBC any ammunition.

They're all diva's (and probably do their nails after the races), but everything about him seems to be a little louder or more noticeable than others. (pop star-like).

But maybe it's giving the whole F1 circus some more dimension (Bobby and JR Ewing style).

Or Alonso moving to Renault in 2008. Oh wait.
well first of all, thanks for proving my point so wonderfully :D
Alonso leaves, Hamilton wins the title the next year. Worked out great...not.

Then there´s no real controversy here.
Hamilton wants this and this and this.
Mclaren says no you can´t have this and this but you can have this.
and it goes on like that until someone makes a decision.

I can understand him. He is making 16 million this year compared to Alonso who is making twice that.
I know if it said Hamilton on my passport i would also say that i deserve at least 20-25, he is afterall one of the most talented F1 drivers to ever live.
Nobody denies that really.

And nobody denies Alonso having the biggest paycheck, they don´t call him Magic Alonso for nothing :)

Wasn't the 30-something million figure just a rumour that was denied by Ferrari?

And sure, he probably deserves more. But he needs to see if he values more earning more money, or having a championship winning car. If he moves out of McLaren merely because of money, that's not a smart move. Of course, he has every right to negotiate, and to use some leverage like talking with other teams.

Also, while I proved your point, I also proved mine. Drivers sometimes take really stupid decisions for their career, and it can end badly for them. So it's possible that Hamilton would move to Mercedes. There have been worse team changes in history for sure.

1. Fernando Alonso - €30 million
2. Lewis Hamilton - €16 million
= Jenson Button - €16 million
4. Sebastian Vettel - €10 million
= Mark Webber - €10 million
= Felipe Massa - €10 million
= Nico Rosberg - €10 million
8. Michael Schumacher - €8 million
9. Kimi Raikkonen - €5 million
10. Heikki Kovalainen - €4 million
11. Timo Glock - €3 million
12. Kamui Kobayashi - €1 million
= Romain Grosjean - €1 million
14. Nico Hulkenberg - €500,000
= Sergio Perez - €500,000
= Vitaly Petrov - €500,000
= Pedro de la Rosa - €500,000
18. Jean-Eric Vergne - €400,000
= Daniel Ricciardo - €400,000
= Pastor Maldonado - €400,000
21. Bruno Senna - €250,000
= Nairan Karthikeyan - €250,000
23. Paul di Resta - €200,000
24. Charles Pic - €150,000

Hamilton is earning twice as much as Schumacher right now. Why on earth would Mercedes want to spend, let's say 15 million more than what they are paying MSC right now, especially considering that MSC is actually getting a lot less than what he is worth (judging by what he used to earn at Ferrari)...

The figures on Maldonardo are wrong it should read minus 14 million. Petrov same. They are pay drivers.
Raikonnens may be misleading as I understand he has been given some equity in the team.

I'd take that list with a grain of salt anyway. I'm not sure if the teams would actually allow the salaries of their drivers to become public. It's more likely that those are just informed guesses.

Here's what the horse whisperer had to say about it:
This strange 2012 Spring is drawing to a close, but some things never change. Roses bloom in the garden, the smell of jasmine fills the air and, how could it be any different, journalists’ thoughts turn to the question of how much sportsmen earn.

Of course, there’s plenty of interest in Formula 1 drivers and, as usual, all sorts of airy-fairy figures are bandied about. Just arrived, but it’s surely not the last is something called “Business Book GP 2012.” This august publication would have Fernando Alonso earning 30 million Euro per year, or almost the same as the two McLaren drivers put together. A shame then that it’s an other case of utter balderdash, that shows once again that those who compile these lists, usually like to quote themselves and each other, like dogs chasing their own tails, always putting Ferrari on top when it comes to money, whether it’s referring to driver salaries or budgets.

Things ain’t what they used to be we are told, but, when it comes to money, the song remains the same: Ferrari spends more than anyone. A shame then that the reality is very different, as those who work in the business know only too well.

well theres even MORE talk now, again it's all just rumours and speculation.... but the title says it all!

McLaren boss lines up Perez to replace Hamilton as contract talks hit crisis

Mexican Sergio Perez is being lined up to replace Lewis Hamilton at McLaren as the British star's contract negotiations reach crisis point.
Only a week after McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh admitted the team did not have a 'Plan B', it is understood contact has been made with Perez as Hamilton ponders a £60million offer from Mercedes.

McLaren's approach to the 22-year-old Sauber driver is an indication the team are growing impatient with the negotiating strategy of Hamilton's management, XIX Entertainment.
The agency is controlled by Simon Fuller, the man behind the Spice Girls, David Beckham, Andy Murray and creator of the Pop Idol TV franchise.
The move is the beginning of the end game. Hamilton may find his future is taken out of his own hands with the spectre of Perez being courted by McLaren, who do not want to be outmanoeuvred by the 27-year-old British driver.

Aha!

Attachments

• hamiltom.jpg
    hamiltom.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 438
well theres even MORE talk now, again it's all just rumours and speculation.... but the title says it all!

McLaren boss lines up Perez to replace Hamilton as contract talks hit crisis
Great minds think alike.
I would love to see Perez in a race winning car.
Also the one thing that XIX did not put into their spreadsheet when they calculated Lewis relative value to Alonso is that the McLaren team can win and have won this season without Lewis
Ferrari cannot win without Alonso. So the accounting minded will calculate how much money it costs to take the 2012 Ferrari and make it an intrinsic front runner then take say 1/3rd of that and pay it to a driver instead.
That calc does not work at McLaren so the Alonso salary coparison is invalid.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 8 5.7%