PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

To some degree it is sim orientated, but my main criteria are always driving+FFB, and by that criteria pacrs is simcade orientated and has been for 16months.....that's a long time to be simcadey feeling IMO.

We have discussed this previously (interesting subject, as usual).

Though I understand your criteria and your conclusion, again I emphasize "driving" is mostly subjective, and FFB is a, shall we say, "layer" on top of the physics engine. It is my understanding that FFB in pCARS still does not satisfy most members; for many it can, and it does, detract from the physics engine when in fact it is a separate aspect (one that can give the impression of a fail in physics).

I also look beyond the "driving" or even handling (something closer to the car itself). Handling itself may be compromised by wrong setups used by the default, untouched cars (something Ermo, JDougNY. brrupsz, matt2380 or Sakurablack had to correct in S2U, NG is filled with threads about this).

There are many indicators of wrong/under-developed physics in any sim - I recall a member here describing the motion of the CoM being botched (and people considering this effect to be...er...visual), a fine detail spotted, as is what brrupsz described recently with the help of a video. If access to telemetry is not a reality, one can spot these details if one looks carefully, as these gents did.

If after all is said and done, by release time these details support what your impressions are...my, what a fail. Expectations rose too high for it to be nothing but what fans were promised.

There are many indicators of wrong/under-developed physics in any sim -.

I don't disagree at all, for ex, Netkar feels very different to RACE07, but in both instances, I have excellent steering precision and FFB that I can use to help me judge the limit{my limit}, however, this isn't the case with pcars, as the FFB seems to drop in and out down the mountain at Bathurst, yet the best sims will feel fully connected thru there and any tricky corner section/s.

As for physics/realism deficiencies, I'm sure we can find area's where they all suffer, but until the basics of the driving are fixed{steering+FFB}, no game or car can ever be judged as sim worthy as the basic underpinning of the game isn't up to standard.

When it comes to weight transfer, and this is one area where genuine sims excel, one of two things seem likely, ie.....

1....weight transfer is reduced to enable easy driving in arcade/simcade games
2....weight transfer and the level of FFB detail requires enormous programming time, therefore must be reduced to allow for large carlists.

It could also be a combo of the 2, but either way, Netkar loads beautifully, and you can feel the cars weight under braking and compensate either immediately, or on the next lap if you fully overshot.

I don't disagree at all, for ex, Netkar feels very different to RACE07, but in both instances, I have excellent steering precision and FFB that I can use to help me judge the limit{my limit}, however, this isn't the case with pcars, as the FFB seems to drop in and out down the mountain at Bathurst, yet the best sims will feel fully connected thru there and any tricky corner section/s.

That fits what members say about FFB in pCARS. The one thing that bothers me is why we're still having FFB issues, and basically of the same nature. Hmm...

As for physics/realism deficiencies, I'm sure we can find area's where they all suffer, but until the basics of the driving are fixed{steering+FFB}, no game or car can ever be judged as sim worthy as the basic underpinning of the game isn't up to standard.

Firstly, you misunderstood, but that's largely my fault.

I meant to say, There are many indicators of wrong/under-developed physics for any sim, meaning if one looks beyond the feel and handling aspects there are many things we can focus on (sort of "like" performance indicators in companies or employees), things which are quite telling and no developer can avoid them.

If a racing sim shows no obvious deficiencies in these aspects and telemetry confirms our understanding, then the obvious conclusion is the physics engine is doing the job properly.

You can spot them in videos, you can spot them when driving and the reaction of the car is wrong (ex.: linear motion of the CoM when loss of control occurs and you go sliding across the tarmac and grass, what you call center-pivot physics), and you can detect them through telemetry.

Again, the basics of driving for you are not quite the same as they are for others, or me. I look at many aspects, FFB being the least important (given its nature and the problems from wheel to wheel).

When it comes to weight transfer, and this is one area where genuine sims excel, one of two things seem likely, ie.....

1....weight transfer is reduced to enable easy driving in arcade/simcade games
2....weight transfer and the level of FFB detail requires enormous programming time, therefore must be reduced to allow for large carlists.

It could also be a combo of the 2, but either way, Netkar loads beautifully, and you can feel the cars weight under braking and compensate either immediately, or on the next lap if you fully overshot.

Point 1 you made: a known developer (its titles are sold on a massive scale), when asked about this, told me no compromises were made. The titles are sold for the PS3 and XBOX (and PC), and given the fact that statistically, over 90% (I was not aware the number was this high, but he assured me it is) of gamers use gamepads to "play" driving/racing games, then a layer of control is put in place to properly translate motion and feedback - this layer of control also implies a series of driver aids may be permanently on for some types of controllers.

Which is fine. Build the physics engine from the bottom up, and design code to help gamepad/console users control the cars better. This does not imply that the physics engine is botched or arcadey, though.

Point 2: Stefano Casillo told Autosimsport that the FFB for NetKar Pro was extremely simple...and short (a few lines only). So, no, you don't need hyper-complex FFB code for it to be good and have a fine level of detail. At all.

Regarding weight transfer: it is not entirely separate from the tire model code. When driving in RL, the car is either in static equilibrium or not - in which case we have a net torque and net force. Though roll centre locations are determined by suspension kinematics, for the roll axis we need to calculate and consider the car body motion in relation to the four contact patches and the existence of a force (or forces) that acts longitudinally or laterally on the CoG. Thus, in a sim, if something is not right with the forces calculated in the contact patches, weight transfer is also affected.

I honestly don't see any reason for a large car list imposing a simpler code - the physics engine, any physics engine, is fed a set of parameters and this sets the car model for any car. This is model calibration, and it is the same for cars (usually a large set of parameters to be configured) or tires, or even airfoils (wings). If you have 1 car, then all you need is a set of parameters for that car. If you have 1000 (GT5) then you feed all the numbers for all the cars and you get 1000 different cars.

The Problem is not there. The problem lies in the amount of detail you wish the physics engine to have. Some of the developers I know have made NO compromises (though they're working within some restrictions), others have. Some operate under very strict budgets and time constraints from publishers and distributors, others do not. Too often, decisions are made to simplify the simulation because these time constraints demand shorter development cycles. Sadly so.

Your "crap", not mine. ;)

You confuse personal experience with factual data on the physics of racing sims.

My "personal experience" ("driving and racing cars") surpasses yours in 5 years or so, still that in itself is meaningless when it comes to the "raising the bar" idea. You have to dig deeper (vehicle dynamics and simulations) in order to be understand that, and even then you'll still be missing information which only developers are in possession of.

I'm not confusing anything here, I'm comparing real world experience and physics to simulation physical output/dynamics.

You said you were getting low frames rates, so was I on my old PC, but my new one is 3x more powerful and some of the lag I was getting is gone, so now all that's left is the weird FFB on some cars.
If you get a more powerful PC, retry rf2, you should like it, but no question it's far more finicky than probably any sim.
I have a good pc, framerate was ok-ish (45-60), settings on high (also tried max to see how it looks). It's just can't get along with the graphics....it's below my limit of acceptable.

And i know it's still beta and it's going to be optimised, but with visuals like that it should literally FLY on most PC's.

Of course i'll give it another try when it's finished, never say no to another sim :)

I'm not confusing anything here, I'm comparing real world experience and physics to simulation physical output/dynamics.

You are comparing the handling (not physics), but you insist you're comparing physics.

Tell me, then, what is the criteria for comparing the physics of rF2, pCARS and AC? What are your tools for comparing "real world [...]physics" and the "simulation physical output" of rF2 and AC?

this layer of control also implies a series of driver aids may be permanently on for some types of controllers.

I see, fair enough, but if as the end user I'm unable to obtain a driving state that pushes my buttons, then I have to evaluate it accordingly, and it seems to me that all my favourite sims do weight transfer to some degree, but more importantly, I can use the level of detail as a guide.

As I've said before, this level of FFB acting as a guide is critical to me as it's the compensation for a lack of real world "feel", and as an added bonus, good FFB makes the car feel alive.

If you're using a wheel without FFB, you only have memory and visual clues, which are at play with FFB as well, but the full time quality of the FFB seems to only exist in what I consider a genuine sim.

In GSC, netkar, rf2 and AC TDemo, you also feel the tyres and the chassis flex under braking, and when speed and load increases, the detail of the FFB and the responsiveness of the car to quick wheel inputs is impressive.

Very little of that exists in simcade racers, for example, in Shift2, braking simulation amounted to some pissy vibration of sorts, and Shift1 appeared to have broken "braking mechanics" as I was forced to use ABS.....consider that in GSC, even though you're slower, you can still drive the Mini without ABS as the FFB is so good and consistent relative to load and input/s.

About FFB...I have seen too many wheels - Fanatecs, G25s and G27s - wrecked prematurely due to some settings wearing the rotors or other internal parts. I rarely use it because of that even though one of my wheels is a G27. I try to rely on other things besides FFB.

You and I are talking from different perspectives. You rely on FFB and judge racing sims partly on it, I don't.

FFB is but a very small part of the whole, something that may not accurately reflect the quality of the physics engine underneath it. If a racing sim simulates weight transfer (not just to "some degree", but actually in full), then it will show, easily, by several means - FFB being one of them. If it doesn't, FFB will not mask that.

You and I are talking from different perspectives. You rely on FFB and judge racing sims partly on it, I don't.

To each his own, but I'm of the view that most people who like sims, like a mix of good realism and FFB, anyway, nothing stopping either of us discussing these matters, but from my POV, feeling like I'm driving a real car is a major factor, and I find good quality FFB enhances that.

To each his own, but I'm of the view that most people who like sims, like a mix of good realism and FFB, anyway, nothing stopping either of us discussing these matters, but from my POV, feeling like I'm driving a real car is a major factor, and I find good quality FFB enhances that.

Oh, I don't doubt that, at all, but there's a significant percentage of people who try FFB a few times and disable it like I did (to save the wheel and also for performance reasons).

Tell you something, a year ago I drove at a friend's several cars from iRacing. The FFB felt totally different from my own rig, and we both have G27s. Later I tried at someone else, with a Fanatec (seems quite popular where I lived) and the experience was even more different. Same settings would not provide the same experience no matter what we tried in both cases.

Yes, nothing stopping us from discussing these things, always found it interesting having a "chat" like this.

My only...er... gripe is with people who make their decisions/judgements on a racing sim's physics based on a few hours of experience or poor FFB. Deciding "this sim is not for me because it lacks proper FFB" is ok, proclaiming this or that sim has bad physics because FFB is lacking is nonsense (for the reasons mentioned earlier).

I do understand your point, though.

FFB is very important part of sim, isnt it? In pcars is awful. Countersteering in nkpro, rf2 and AC is just so much fun as getting sideways, in pcars its complete disaster. For me, pcars at this moment have only and only one advantage over other sims, graphics. Interior sounds are poor, physics feels totally disconnected (especially braking). Im only wondering in which direction they are heading

FFB is very important part of sim, isnt it? In pcars is awful. Countersteering in nkpro, rf2 and AC is just so much fun as getting sideways, in pcars its complete disaster. For me, pcars at this moment have only and only one advantage over other sims, graphics. Interior sounds are poor, physics feels totally disconnected (especially braking). Im only wondering in which direction they are heading

I'm sure they'll eventually bash it into simcade shape, but it seems to me they've had long enough to produce something that drives more sim like than simcade like.

My only...er... gripe is with people who make their decisions/judgements on a racing sim's physics based on a few hours of experience or poor FFB. Deciding "this sim is not for me because it lacks proper FFB" is ok, proclaiming this or that sim has bad physics because FFB is lacking is nonsense (for the reasons mentioned earlier).

Everyone should try rf2, especially given that default G27 profile is pretty good on most cars{I still think G27 suffers a bit here and there, but you no longer need to adjust ini files, and you can still adjust FFB dampening ingame}.....the only thing worth mentioning is that you must ensure wheel is set properly, ie, brake and throttle % etc.

In GSC, netkar, rf2 and AC TDemo, you also feel the tyres and the chassis flex under braking, and when speed and load increases, the detail of the FFB and the responsiveness of the car to quick wheel inputs is impressive.

Do you maybe know how much chassis flex there is in a modern car? And how much flex remains in stiffened chassis of, let say, a GT3 car with all the bracing + roll cage?

Let assume that all the racer sims you've mentioned actually model chassis flex, and if they do, model it accurately, would you be able to feel it through FFB?

Do you maybe know how much chassis flex there is in a modern car? And how much flex remains in stiffened chassis of, let say, a GT3 car with all the bracing + roll cage?

Let assume that all the racer sims you've mentioned actually model chassis flex, and if they do, model it accurately, would you be able to feel it through FFB?

You can hop skip and jump in your own car, fling around corners and feel the forces registering thru your body, however, in sims, we only have FFB via the wheel to approximate this, and "most" traditional sims do this well, but Pcars tends to suck a bit, but if it's Shift3 then it's not as critical.

I just want to put my two cents in regarding ffb. I've been downloading pCars updates, playing for ten minutes and then going back to rf2 until the next update and repeating this for every update until this last one. Today I played pCars all day long and loved it. So I guess the ffb changes get a big thumbs up from me. What a welcome surprise! Thank you!

Also just have to say how nice it is not to have to tinker so much like with rf2. All the basics are covered. Track map? Check. Lap number and position? Check. These and so many basics are left out of rf2 or simply a a headache to figure out and everything you do leads to more problems. Such a grind compared to pCars. I did more driving in one day today than I've done in the last month with rf2.

Also it's so great to realize all the great tracks that are included with pCars. I never wanted to explore the tracks before but I hit them all today! :)

Anyway thanks again and please put my vote in as supporting the ffb changes!!!

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 50 36.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 80 58.8%