Kunos Simulazioni Looking at Assetto Corsa HTC Vive Support

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa HTC Vive Potential 2.jpg

Marco Massarutto, Licencing Manager of Kunos Simulazioni has confirmed via his personal Facebook page that HTC Vive VR support is being assessed for Assetto Corsa.

With Assetto Corsa already proving to be one of the stand out VR compatible games, not to mention probably the finest sim racing game with VR support at present, it now looks like the studio are looking to make a move towards developing some serious Vive compatibility for the title. Of course Assetto Corsa already works with a Vive headset, via the Revive injector, but with increasing numbers of sales (reportedly 1/2 million in comparison to the 1/4 million for Oculus), it appears that Kunos are assessing the possibility of looking at potential ways to bring in native support for this headset.

"We have arranged a dedicated room for VR in our new studio (including a motion simulator to reduce the sickness), and this week finally we have completed the setup for Vive, that definetely isn't "plug&play" like the Oculus (both in terms of hardware and software setup), but once installed, the HTC Vive has shown a very interesting potential. So, now at least we can evaluate properly the change to support it in Assetto Corsa, with some dedicated R&D. It's early to confirm if we'll support it, but we'll try" said Massarutto.​

Assetto Corsa in VR video:
It is understood that Kunos now have access to a new space within their studio dedicated to virtual reality, so players might have some further developments with regards to VR and Assetto Corsa in the next few months. At present Assetto Corsa does provide a good VR experience with the Oculus Rift unit but many areas of the VR support in game still need further development. Hopefully the new 'VR space' will help in advancing development for this area of the sim over the coming year.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC. Additional DLC can be downloaded across all platforms adding a variety of additional cars and tracks.

Assetto Corsa HTC Vive Potential 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa HTC Vive Potential.jpg

Assetto Corsa HTC Vive Potential 4.jpg

The Assetto Corsa sub forum is a great place to get involved with your fellow community members and discuss the game. Here at RaceDepartment we have a wonderful Racing Club that hosts regular races and league events, plus you can add a wealth of additional content via our modding downloads archive and catch up on the latest news with regards to the sim.

Do you own a HTC Vive and play Assetto Corsa? What does the headset feel like in AC in it's current form? Looking forward to the possibility of future native support? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Don't often agree with your posts @Blimey but today I do :).

A few years back the 10% of online racers weren't important. But today the 1% of VR users are.

I hope that 99% of the track lovers will get a few extra circuits in the future as the car / track ratio is completely off now.

Don't know how many use VR in assetto but i can tell you in iRacing the number has surpassed 850 active users.
Ok but how many total active users play iracing ?? So I know they are more than 50 thousand, proportionally almost 900 users is a low number, in the AC this number should be similar not in total but in proportion. So I think that things that will benefit everyone should be a priority and not things that will benefit a much smaller portion

"including a motion simulator to reduce the sickness"
Does Marco mind to elaborate? In the meantime I will try to do it for him.
Judging by this quote and all the VR sets owners who said something in the line of "you will only feel sick for the first day, then you'll learn to cope with it", it appears that when you encounter a case of unmatched motion bursts (like hitting a bump), the body doesn't react to that favourably, thus making a motion simulator almost a necessity. Though I admit I never tried one, but I'm sure motion simulators are extremely laggy and imprecise, not to mention the price. So, at the end of the day, VR might be better suited for flying rather than driving.

Don't often agree with your posts @Blimey but today I do :).

A few years back the 10% of online racers weren't important. But today the 1% of VR users are.

I hope that 99% of the track lovers will get a few extra circuits in the future as the car / track ratio is completely off now.
But those 10% of online racers a few years back still got multiplayer in all of the sims. Your comparison comes off as they should exclude people with VR devices when online racers weren't excluded since sims always tended to offer online multiplayer support.
Isn't it great when a sim offers people choices for wheel, gamepad, keyboard, motion rig, single and multi monitors, VR headset, different types of cars and tracks, AI racing, online Multiplayer racing.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000