Kubica to Drive Formula One Car Again

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Robert Kubica Lotus Test.jpg
Robert Kubica will sensationally return to the cockpit of a Formula One car in Spain courtesy of the Renault Formula One team.

Having not sat in a Grand Prix cockpit in over six years Kubica, 32, will be allowed some precious running in a 2012 specification Lotus E20 Formula One car during a closed test session in Spain for the current works Renault outfit.

Despite its origins as a Lotus Formula One car, the 2012 E20 is the official show car of the Renault team and is used during promotional events throughout the world. The car, a full year more modern than the last Grand Prix machinery Kubica drove before sustaining serious injuries in a rally accident in Andorra during F1 preseason testing, will be shared with Russian youngster and Renault test driver Sergey Sirotkin.

Kubica has been concentrating on a return to circuit racing in recent months, with seat time in both GT, Prototype, Formula E and GP3 machinery already behind the popular Pole, however it is not expected that the Renault test will be anything other than a gesture of good will from the team, and not the beginning of a program of development with a view to Kubica making his return to Formula One racing.

Speaking recently in an interview with recently Kubica expressed his desire to sample a modern Formula One car again, claiming that he didn’t feel his hand injury would prove a problem with his ability to perform in an open wheel racing car. When asked if the desire remains to drive top level open wheel cars, Kubica responded:

"I would like to try a Formula One car. It has been a while, so I would have to prove myself. But I think I could do it well."

"In my last three seasons, I managed to achieve a remarkable performance level, a level I think I lack a little bit of now. To get to that level of performance you have to work hard for so many years

"I have tried many simulators, and I am convinced that I would drive at 80 per cent of the F1 tracks. But not all of them."
It remains to be seen how serious Kubica will be taking the test in Spain, or even if the scheduled running will be timed by the team and circuit officials. However for a driver who's Grand Prix career was some cruelly cut short at the peak of his career, it is indeed nice to know Kubica can have just one last try in the fastest form of open wheel motorsport in the world.

For more Formula One news check out the Formula One sub forum and get involved today!

Happy to see Kubica back in a Grand Prix car? Can he do enough to earn a drive during a race in F1? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Wow, I have never actually seen his arm before - I didn't really fully grasp the extent of the damage until seeing the pic above. I think we're lucky he's doing *any* kind of racing - wow.

Such a great talent, I am really hoping the test goes well (I too would love to never see Palmer on another F1 grid :D )

No, he have some limitations in the range of motion of his injured arm, but still can use it to drive
Robert_Kubica_Ronde_Lana_5896717.jpg
Obviously he has no muscles on his right arm, which means he transfers all the strength to move the steering wheel on his left arm.
This is a big limitation when it comes to drive a powerful machinery as a F1 car in race weekend conditions.

I really hope he can perform well in the test. Good luck Robert! :)

Speaking of, and with the upcoming Montreal race, that was a nasty crash back in 2007!

It also ment that Vettel would get the seat and score his first ever WC F1 points. Wow, 10 years gone so fast....man.

Last edited:
Well there are more info about Kubica's return to F1 car.
"Robert complained about grip, understeer, downforce and had the biggest smile on after his 115 laps!!" - that's from Renault's twitter...
The guy from L`Equipe just wrote that Kubica did faster laptimes on this test-day than Renault F1's 3rd driver Sergey Sirotkin... well, not something that Palmer wanted to hear, that's for sure ;)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%