F1 2010 Knee pain - caused by pedal position?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
After playing F1 2010 for 20 mins, my left knee gets searing pain in the tendon / ligament area.

I'm guessing this is because I leave my left foot hovering above the brake pedal [Logitech Force GT]. So my question is: am I a freak with weak knees? Do other people leave their foot hovering?

Does it sound like I need to raise the pedal board slightly to coutner this?

cheers.

If you raise the pedals and still leave your left foot hovering over it, surely thats gonna be even worse for your knee as you are holding your leg even higher than it was originally? Is there a reason you cant keep your heel on the baseplate to support the leg?

I got a few initial aches when I first started using my G27 setup, but once id been playing for a few weeks, maybe a month or so, I had adjusted and no longer have problems. I just put it down to needing to losen up, but neither of my feet are hovering.

If you raise the pedals and still leave your left foot hovering over it, surely thats gonna be even worse for your knee as you are holding your leg even higher than it was originally? Is there a reason you cant keep your heel on the baseplate to support the leg?

I am. It's the ligament that keeps my toe raised. I guess it's just an old sporting injury. Just wondered if I have a weird braking sytle.

It seems it only aches for a while. Then calms down.

I just need to get used to it I expect.

Without knowing the full details of your setup, I would say it will probably improve with time, but it also sounds like maybe you would benefit from moving further away from your pedals, and try to get your leg as straight and as low as possible, maybe lowering your chair rather than raising the pedals. I can happily rest my feet on my pedals without pushing them, but without needing to hover my feet, so maybe there is a bit more resistance behind G27 pedals than DFGT pedals, or maybe they are just designed a bit better with the pedals at a better angle.

There are a few DFGT users here, so maybe they can come in with some useful tips. Maybe the pedals are more 'upright' than G27. Eitherway, if something is making you uncomfortable when you are racing, it will take your concentration away from the game.

Well,I have a DFGT and I have just moved my seat closer to the wheel and at the same time moved the pedals further in under my desk. So now I am sitting closer to the wheel but also have the pedals further away than before. I haven't actually had any direct pain in my knees but it feels more comfortable, for me anyway, the angle of my legs is better now which should mean less stress on the knees :)

I have more problem with my left heel going numb after a while driving, the base for the pedals is very hard and unforgiving, I should probably look into glueing some bit of carpet or something on there, to get a more soft surface.

As a physiotherapist and keen F1 2010 player I would say it's nothing to worry about but you may need to alter your position to prevent more long term pain, particularly if the pain has gone on for more than a few days or is getting worse. Ideally you should try to make sure your thighs are supported so the leg muscles aren't holding the weight of your legs. Also you should try to make sure your foot isn't hovering and that your heel is on the floor for at least some of the time. Ultimately though sitting still isn't good for you and it may be that you're are just playing too often or for too long.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jan-Olov Johansson
I have more problem with my left heel going numb after a while driving, the base for the pedals is very hard and unforgiving, I should probably look into glueing some bit of carpet or something on there, to get a more soft surface.

I wouldn't advocate glueing carpet to your heel udner any circumstances.

Wear some thick socks!

Haha :D Carpet feet! Yes Jan, dont glue carpet to your feet, do it right and nail a grip strip to the soles of your feet!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.