Just started iRacing... Impressions, advice, discuss

Jimi Hughes

RDMCC S6 Champion
So this week I activated my 3-Month free membership of iRacing, and I am currently not quite sure what to make of it all... I am relitavely new to PC racing, got into rFactor and Race 07 series about 18 months ago, and have been very pleased with both titles since. I was initially suprised at how many cars and tracks were available from 'stock' with iRacing considering all the bad things I had heard about lack of free content. I was then shocked to see although some great tracks are included you are then expected to pay $11 - $15 per extra track!!??

I do alot of racing and testing at Oulton Park in Real Life, so i figured i would splash out and treat myself (belated birthday gift to myself) and bought Oulton Park (I know, I'm weak) as this would be the best place for me to compare iRacing to Real Life. Driving the MX-5 round Oulton to me felt just like driving a RWD version of my Xr3i race car (similar power) and I was plesantly suprised by the 'feel' of the car and tyres, pretty realistic albeit braking seems very sudden. Im a sod for enjoying realism, so for me the ability to lock the H pattern and need to clutch for better upshift and downshift is absolutely brilliant.

I was again shocked when I looked into funding the membership once the 3-month free period runs out, I initially thought it was $30 per year, but turns out its $30 every 3 months!!!!!!??? I also struggled to find any online races I could join with the content (or lack of) that I own. Now, I really enjoy the driving on iRacing, but I cannot see what is so good about it that I should have to pay this offensive amount of money every few months (or annually etc.) I have probably payed about £30 in TOTAL on the Race series, and online rooms are still very active, and I am currently competing in the RDTCC which is 75 drivers strong. I cannot for the life of me see what is so good about iRacing that these high costs reflect? Ultimately I will probably end up paying for it providing I have enough money left over once the Real racing and bills etc have been payed for, but I am shocked at the sheer costs involved with this platform.

I dont really feel that the cars feel any more or less realistic that Race 07/rFactor, just different. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. How does everyone else feel about this? Where does iRacing sit for you compared with other titles? How do you justify the costs of iRacing?

It isnt too much of an issue at the moment as Im using the 3-month free membership (thanks to a promo at the Autosport show this year) but in 3 months time ill be head scratching as to whether or not to commit and burn a huuuge hole in my wallet (and hide my bank statements from the Mrs, lol) or whether to just stick to other, more cost effective sims. I am aware that annual memberships will become more comman, I have also purchased the Beta of rFactor 2 which will be annual membership, but I believe with a less offensive price tag.

Thoughts, Advice, Opinions and General comments appriciated :)

Hi guys,is it possible for someone to explain to me how the SR works.I know its a noob qustion asked many times,but it is confusing to me. So by keeping car on track and not having any incidents brings up the rating,but how are the + / - points allocated after each race? So lets say i had a clean race,no incidents,1 off track and thats it. I get only +0.10 ,meanwhile other guys are +0.50 etc.,yet i finished ahead of them,but their overall SR was higher then mine to begin with,so the higher ur SR, the more points u get after each race?

SR is rather confusing, basically it takes the average number of incidents per corner per race and if you only had lets say 1 incident like you had it will go up. As soon as you cross x.00, you go up 0.4, so if you started with 2.99 and went up 0.01, you go up to 3.40 which is why you saw some people go up 0.50 in a race. SR has nothing to do with where you finish, it only cares about how safe you race. iRatings deal with how well you do.

I also found that at a low license level, a clean race will net you a lot of points. When your SR is higher, it seems to net less points for a clean race. So its very easy to get up to a C from rookie in only a few decent races, but slower from then on. Or so it was for me lol.

I just fell in love with iracing again haha. I just did a fixed oval indy race, came third, but it was so awesome with sooo much overtaking (not to mention clean as) my hands were shaking afterward. I honestly cant say any other game has done that to me, so I congratulate iracing for it :)

As you go higher up the license levels, the number of corners that are used to calculate the average Corners Per Incident are higher, up from about 1200 at rookie level to about 2400 at A class. If you had some reall bad old results and are getting better throughout you license, these old results drop off and you'll also get an acceleration in the amount that your rating goes up.

Before you think that it's really diificult at the higher license levels. Remember that that races are typically much longer the further up the license scale that you move. Take oval as an example rookie races are typically 50 laps of the shor tracks (2 turns at these tracks) - 100 corners to 120 laps of the 1.5milers (4 turns each) 480 corners; so you can see how even at higher levels your bad races can drop off quickly

I just did a fixed oval indy race, came third, but it was so awesome with sooo much overtaking (not to mention clean as) my hands were shaking afterward.

Josh, just moved to the Indy Oval cars for the first time this season myself and have run both the fixed and the open series with some good and some not so good results (2nd at michigan on the first open race on monday night - bottom split), you'll find that the fixed is competitive at some tracks even on the open setups. some very small and easy tweaks (look on the iRacing Indy car forum for tips - you'll get no setups tho') to the fixed and learning to use the weight jacker will make you faster and more consistent still. Michigan's a good week to try as for me it's an easy track to race without too much tyre wear and low risk of self spinning as the race line is 1 lane up from the apron.

Maybe see you around in the fixed or in practice (i'll send yo a friend invite) - but be warned I'm a late night racer!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back