• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Japan: Difficult race yields no points for FTS at Suzuka

Discussion in 'Formula SimRacing' started by Christian Smirnoff, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Christian Smirnoff

Christian Smirnoff

Ratings:
    +240
    [​IMG]
    In Faster Than Speed's 199th World Championship outing, the team had a difficult race at Suzuka, with both John-Eric Saxen and Giuseppe Marconi finishing the Japanese GP outside the points in 13th and 15th places respectively.

FTS is getting ready to celebrate a very special milestone: it will take part in its 200th World Championship GP next weekend in Korea!

In the World Championship, John-Eric Saxen drove a good lap in Q1, which however, fell just a tenth of a second short of the top-10, not allowing him to get a Q2 spot and leaving him 11th on the grid. Team-mate Giuseppe Marconi qualified 21st.

John-Eric made a good start, gaining a couple of places to finish the opening lap in 9th place. John-Eric drove a good race, with a conventional 4-stop strategy, which became difficult as several cars queued behind the slower cars of the 3-stopping De Wit and Lapchin.

On lap 15, John-Eric finally showed he is human, after what had been a completely faultless season so far. After attacking Brljak, he ran slightly wide out of Degnar 1 and lost control of his FTS-P12, performing a frightening 360┬░ spin at high speed. He was lucky his car never left the track or hit anything, meaning John-Eric was able to continue with only a position lost and a minimal time loss. Just a couple of laps later, John-Eric recovered the position he had lost by overtaking Patrick De Wit with a classy inside move into Turns 1 and 2.

The ground lost behind slower 3-stopping drivers, however, made it impossible for John-Eric to make his 4-stop strategy work, and he finished outside the points in 13th place.

Giuseppe made a good start, gaining 5 spots on the first lap. He also drove a 4-stop race, showing strong pace and being involved in several tight battles with other drivers. In such a difficult race, however, his efforts did not allow him to battle for points, finishing in 15th.

John-Eric Saxen (13th): "Not the ideal weekend this time. A decent Qualifying lap was not enough to start in the top-10, but I was not too worried, starting in P11. In the first corner I managed to pass a couple of cars on the outside to take P9. At this point I found myself behind a queue of the 3-stopping De Wit and Lapchin, while everyone else, including me, was on 4-stoppers.
    After the first pitstops I lost some ground and later on, I lost focus momentarily in Degner 1 on lap 15, which caused a scary 360 degree spin. Very lucky to have come out of that with only a 3 seconds time loss. This meant I had to pass De Wit again, which I did a couple of laps later into turn 1.
    At this point I had lost too much ground to the 4-stoppers ahead, so the remaining race turned out to be a battle with Fredrik Nilsson. Towards the end of the race he overtook me with a brilliant move into the chicane, which meant finishing outside the points this time. Overall, a quite unimpressive weekend, but still a couple of good tracks remaining."

Giuseppe Marconi (15th): "It was a fun race, with a lot of battles throughout the race. I didn't make any mistakes and was also happy with my pace."

Faster Than Speed will celebrate a very special milestone at next weekend's inaugural Korean GP. At Yeongam, FTS will take part in its 200th World Championship GP, becoming the first FSR team to reach such a feat. Stay tuned for a few surprises! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter (@FTS_Racing) and Google+ for the latest news and live coverage from Korea and #FTS200!

Faster Than Speed
    Press Release
    http://www.fts-racing.net