Is this the end of Bobs Track Builder?

Hi,
It's been nearly a year since the last update to BTB, has this project ended, or have I missed a post somewhere regarding this issue. Would be a shame as I really enjoy using this software and it just seems to ended.

Thanks

Scott

Yes Woochoo. The only people who have permission to do Bathurst are Codemasters who paid Bathurst City Coucil to use the track likeness etc. People like ORSM have not got permission. Although ORSM did it for free, V8 Supercars Australia are cracking down on people using thier product, venues etc.

I think if is created for free and used for free, don't worry about it, but they don't see it that way.

That's easily fixed, just give it a different name. That way they can't say it's related.

I think the main reason for this stuff is because putting their name on it basically shows that they endorse it and if it's a really crappy job it can make them look bad. I honestly think they wouldn't worry about ORSM's track, its very well done and in their eyes it is free advertisement.
But imagine someone doing a version of Bathurst on BTB demo in 2 weeks and releasing it as Bathurst with all the sponsor sineage and the default grass and road textures that come with btb? It would get out there amongst the search engines and next thing you know people start seeing it and thinking "wtf?!".

Can we get back to topic please gents.

I think it's worth remembering that like so many projects this was something of a labour of love for its creator. When you drop everything to do something like this and in the end it doesn't pay, you have to make difficult decisions about your future and how you pay your way in life. You have to have major respect for what was achieved in this tool. If he's anything like me his passion won't be completely spent, just life gets in the way. Whether it be 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year from now, in a better situation I think I'd be itching to get back to my baby, but you have to respect the developers decision on when that time comes, if ever.

When you look at the license fee for the software compared with other commercial modelling software, tools like 3dsimmed etc that are needed to make tracks from scratch without this, I think everyone who bought a license for this got a steal. I have it and have barely scratched the surface, hopefully I will have the time at some point to get really stuck in. I don't for a moment feel robbed. The life and bank balance of independant software developers can lead them accross many rocky roads and sometimes the project and the code has to take a back seat.

Lol... It's amazing how the people are hurry to yell "block, block this thread", "that's pointless", and so on...

The thread makes sense. BTB is not a finished tool at all. Try to merge two tracks in a decent way and see. The software developer has no obligation to keep updating the software, that's his right. No complaining on that. But it's quite different to consider a "finished" tool.

That's so ridiculous! :D Sometimes this forum looks like a sort of Piddy's Lawyers Association! C’mon people, criticism is not wrong. You’re not going to earn a free license of BTB by your free advocacy.

Anyone actually interested in building tracks would realize that BTB is complete enough to keep them busy for a lifetime. And if you really care about going beyond the features of BTB, then you've probably already got 3DSimmed, Photoshop and/or 3DS. If you're really here to build tracks, then any of the little BTB bugs or any missing features will not be stopping you.

When BTB was still being updated, I'd often avoid working on my track in case the next version came with a better way of doing things, with better results. Since there will be no updates in the foreseeable future, now I just get on with things as best I can and will use 3dSimed for the finishing touches.

Yes: finishing touches. With a bit of imagination and experimentation (and regular project backups), everything necessary can be done in BTB, and to a high standard. I remember when we couldn't add objects and people were saying that you can make an object out of another track, using cross-sections to get the shape right. Adding a wall that didn't run parallel to the track meant creating another track and aligning the wall to that instead. No AIW things either, or cameras. Compare that to what we have now.

All I can say is, "THANKS PIDDY", for all your time and energy building expanding and fixing BTB over the years, because without it NONE OF US would have the high quality tracks we ALL take for granted and race on. The Sim Racing Community owes you much praise for BTB.

Cheers, and good luck in whatever you do in the future mate.

If he would come back and post that he is alive I would be happy.
To be honest, I am more then willing to pay a higher YEARLY subscription fee in order to keep him developing BTB. Say $100 a year or so.

I hope to see updates that will work for rfactor2 and GTR3 as well. BTB is a huge time saver when it comes to track development.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.