Is this game dead?

Hello Everyone,

I am doing the grand tour of all sim / simcade racing games on the PC and someone on the Assetto Corsa forums recommended RaceRoom Experience so I downloaded it. I thought it was pretty cool for what free content is available but when I went to the multiplayer lobbies I saw literally 2 servers with 2-3 poeple in them..... Even the DLC lobbies have noone in them so what gives? Do poeple only play this game with leagues or something ?

Hello Everyone,

I am doing the grand tour of all sim / simcade racing games on the PC and someone on the Assetto Corsa forums recommended RaceRoom Experience so I downloaded it. I thought it was pretty cool for what free content is available but when I went to the multiplayer lobbies I saw literally 2 servers with 2-3 poeple in them..... Even the DLC lobbies have noone in them so what gives? Do poeple only play this game with leagues or something ?
I don't know how the public servers are as I don't visit those but I do know that there are multiple club races a week here on RaceDepartment.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/r3e-racing-club-leagues.15/

As for the game itself, it's surely not dying. If anything I think there's going to be an upsurge because of some very good recent development and planned feature roadmap. In my opinion RaceRoom is one of the best "racing" sims for the PC.

I don't know how the public servers are as I don't visit those but I do know that there are multiple club races a week here on RaceDepartment.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/r3e-racing-club-leagues.15/

As for the game itself, it's surely not dying. If anything I think there's going to be an upsurge because of some very good recent development and planned feature roadmap. In my opinion RaceRoom is one of the best "racing" sims for the PC.

I only see EU club races which is unfortunate since I live in Canada and yes when I look at the public lobbies they are all empty which is a shame

So what game should I be playing for multiplayer? I want to be able to hop into lobbies that have people in them and do a few races. I dont really only enjoy multiplayer racing to be honest
There isn’t one perfect sim which is suited to all what mankind can wish for unfortunately. But if you like to do both multiplayer and single player, R3E comes pretty close. And for multiplayer with the free content, it’s indeed though to find populated open servers.

And there are many other great sims, but they all have (just like R3E) their quirks and caveats. And open servers are always risky if you are searching for good and clean racing. It’s always the best thing to search for a league/lobby which suits your needs. No matter what sim you play.
Iracing is the only one with guaranteed mp servers with people in them.
Indeed, guaranteed populated multiplayer, especially for Eastern ‘till Pacific timezone. Only if their AI was decent... :sneaky::roflmao: And it isn’t exactly very cheap to run. Many people complain about R3E for it’s content price, but it’s still nothing compared to iRacing. But if you want to hop in whenever you want to do a multiplayer session, iRacing is still the best choice for it. It all depends on the cash you are willing to burn to fullfill your sim racing needs. And how far your spouse is letting you go with the cash flow. :roflmao::thumbsup:

AC is still probably the only sim that I can just hop onto an online public server and race online
If I only want to race on Spa or Mugello that is... :O_o:

But no, I'm pretty sure this game ain't dead. I just can't find any servers to race on when I am actually available to do so...

One of the reasons public online racing may appear "dead" is because, as we all know, public servers are abysmal. Full of wreckers and quitters with very little quality racing to be had. This is likely made worse in R3E by the fact that it offers free content, whereas most other sims don't.

So put simply, if you want decent online racing you need to be looking for an organised racing community that caters for your timezone.

I only see EU club races which is unfortunate since I live in Canada and yes when I look at the public lobbies they are all empty which is a shame
You could participate in weekends EU club races in R3E. Currently, there's only one each Sunday which for me are at 3pm, and they're usually pretty great.

Your other option for jump-in multiplayer remains AC. If you head over to SRS (SimRacingSystem), they have more organized races with a point system and an incident-based player rankings. They would have some good races at a more appropriate time for you.

One of the reasons public online racing may appear "dead" is because, as we all know, public servers are abysmal. Full of wreckers and quitters with very little quality racing to be had. This is likely made worse in R3E by the fact that it offers free content, whereas most other sims don't.

So put simply, if you want decent online racing you need to be looking for an organised racing community that caters for your timezone.

Ok so Im at work and I cant remember my login info so I made a 2nd account.... Maybe my issue is that I am used to matchmaking and hopper lobbies like in Forza 7 so its easy to just find populated MP races because the game throws you in there. I have yet to explore leagues or racing groups but I hear poeple mention them constantly. I am in the east coast and live in Canada so when I do login to race in either AC or R3E the servers are not as populated as I would like or they are all in the EU and I have like 150 + ping. This is the issue I am running into at the moment

If you explore at steamcharts.com, you'll notice that participation in sims is very Euro-centric. AC is by far the most popular during North American evenings, otherwise pCARS 2 will edge out rF2 which will edge out Raceroom in the evening [note that rF2 overall participation had been outrunning Raceroom until this latest patch went into production and now they're pretty much neck & neck again]. Automobilista sometimes edges out rF2 for a brief period of time around 6p Pacific time, but you'll find the players are on locked Brazilian servers.

Thus you're pretty much relegated to joining pick-up races mid-day on the weekends if you work normal weekday times in North America. If you're on Eastern time, you'll have an easier time finding an evening pick-up race. If you're on Pacific time, you're kind of screwed unless you're retired like myself.

There are a couple leagues based in North America running GT3/GTE content in rF2. One is just starting to develop & runs on Tuesday nights. The other has been expanding from pCARS into rF2 and runs on Friday nights. In pCARS 2, look for servers with a minimum safety rating in the D or E range... much better than the others.

If you explore at steamcharts.com, you'll notice that participation in sims is very Euro-centric. AC is by far the most popular during North American evenings, otherwise pCARS 2 will edge out rF2 which will edge out Raceroom in the evening [note that rF2 overall participation had been outrunning Raceroom until this latest patch went into production and now they're pretty much neck & neck again]. Automobilista sometimes edges out rF2 for a brief period of time around 6p Pacific time, but you'll find the players are on locked Brazilian servers.

Thus you're pretty much relegated to joining pick-up races mid-day on the weekends if you work normal weekday times in North America. If you're on Eastern time, you'll have an easier time finding an evening pick-up race. If you're on Pacific time, you're kind of screwed unless you're retired like myself.

There are a couple leagues based in North America running GT3/GTE content in rF2. One is just starting to develop & runs on Tuesday nights. The other has been expanding from pCARS into rF2 and runs on Friday nights. In pCARS 2, look for servers with a minimum safety rating in the D or E range... much better than the others.

Yeah I just went to look at the steamcharts and it's just as I thought..... The servers are the most busy at around 12-3pm my time which is when I am at work and in games like AC Im talking like 2000-3000 players at that time. When I get home from work the player count drops way down to like 600-800 players.

Online racing in R3E is not dead, it's in fact doing quite well all things considered, but, as already mentioned, it is a very Europe based community. I'm able to find racing even around 2 or 3 AM CET, but there's definitely a lot more going on around say 8 PM CET.

Don't worry about having mostly European servers. I'm in Boston and I race smoothly in UK and FR servers that show 90~105 ms in the server lists. I often setup cars in the RD servers with UK drivers and I see 80 ms to individual drivers.

The weekday EU races will be at 4:00 with practice starting at 3:00 pm, so It's not for everyone in the Eastern time zone. I'm a high school teacher, so I can sometimes make it by mid-practice if I give the little buggers the boot at the end of the day.

I did have some warping in Sepang while letting the lead drivers lap me and it sucked my car into the grass and totaled it. That has been the only time though and we had a full grid running at an F1 pace.

Metalman and ESR do get some good groups of drivers at times. RD practice and setup in the evening is more enjoyable than the Sunday races as a social event. Typically 6~7 drivers with good connections makes for smooth driving.

The RRE cars drive much better than the AC cars in my opinion, esp the new GT3 cars.

Don't worry about having mostly European servers. I'm in Boston and I race smoothly in UK and FR servers that show 90~105 ms in the server lists. I often setup cars in the RD servers with UK drivers and I see 80 ms to individual drivers.

The weekday EU races will be at 4:00 with practice starting at 3:00 pm, so It's not for everyone in the Eastern time zone. I'm a high school teacher, so I can sometimes make it by mid-practice if I give the little buggers the boot at the end of the day.

I did have some warping in Sepang while letting the lead drivers lap me and it sucked my car into the grass and totaled it. That has been the only time though and we had a full grid running at an F1 pace.

Metalman and ESR do get some good groups of drivers at times. RD practice and setup in the evening is more enjoyable than the Sunday races as a social event. Typically 6~7 drivers with good connections makes for smooth driving.

The RRE cars drive much better than the AC cars in my opinion, esp the new GT3 cars.

There's something about raceroom that intrigues me but I dunno what is is exactly lol. I have this feeling that the game is going to explode at some point if the devs introduce the right content. I also need to try the GT3 cars since I heard they received new physics model or tyres or somethign ?

I also need to try the GT3 cars since I heard they received new physics model or tyres or somethign ?
Correct, with the latest patch. They're much improved and now have three more cars to add the numerous cars already available... with more on the way. If you want to know how popular they are for online racing, take a look at this Sunday's club race... 46 drivers on the grid with more in reserve! :cool:

Correct, with the latest patch. They're much improved and now have three more cars to add the numerous cars already available... with more on the way. If you want to know how popular they are for online racing, take a look at this Sunday's club race... 46 drivers on the grid with more in reserve! :cool:

Yes I can definetly see that the game has a following for sure I just thought it was unpopular or something due to the low public lobby numbers. Just like a lot of sims I am noticing that the numbers increase drastically at around 7-8PM GMT ( EU TIMES ) which is unfortunately only like 2-3PM my time and I am at work. I am also noticing that alot of the sims have leagues and planned races that you can sign up for which is new to me.

I did a few public races lately and while they've not been completely terrible, you're quickly reminded of why you really want to drive in organized races to really enjoy yourself. And that's even with leaving the TS banter out of the equation entirely ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back