PC1 Is Project Cars realistic?

OK ok I get it, it was a bad idea to start this thread, I'm sooooorrrryyyyy

Please let me kill this once and for all...

couldyounot.png

Thanks.

I like seeing other people opinions in threads like this one :) nobody can judge how realistic is a sim when have never drove the same car on the same track and have the proper hardware to make the comparison.
Real race drivers are getting payed thats for sure so they cannot be trusted for such opinions I dont want to look for youtube videos but I m pretty sure there were some profesionals that was speaking how realistic are games such colin mcrae rally or other arcades. I remember James bubba Stewart MX vs ATV.

Ain't it great when Pcar nutters mention every game is unrealistic as some kind of defence of Pcars lower ranking realism, look else where on net for Forza 6 clips\news, and look at the pcars fans absolute disgust at being put in same realism bin as forza, far out they LORD it over them like they are children with a silly toy while they play the "ULTIMATE SUPER REALIST SIM", now have ppl from sim community point out Pcars fairly low on list in realistic sims and they lose the plot, the irony is just too much.

What is "graphics whoring"?

It's 2015. Why do we as gamers or sim racers have to (still) deal with compromising between great graphics and fantastic physics? I just don't feel like we should have to. I want both.

Now - on to the question of "Is PCars a sim or not?" I think it does a decent job of simulating driving a race car on track. Not the best but definitely not terrible. What adds greatly to the immersion for me are the environmental effects: Rain, day/night transition. If you have PCars then I highly suggest you select your favorite car then run some laps at your favorite track as dusk turns to night. Make note of how the angle of the sun effects visibility. Then add the rain effects in. I'm so glad someone (SMS) at least tried to present those aspects of what it might be like to race in those conditions.

Last edited:
What is "graphics whoring"?

It's 2015. Why do we as gamers or sim racers have to (still) deal with compromising between great graphics and fantastic physics? I just don't feel like we should have to. I won't both.

Now - on to the question of "Is PCars a sim or not?" I think it does a decent job of simulating driving a race car on track. Not the best but definitely not terrible. What adds greatly to the immersion for me are the environmental effects: Rain, day/night transition. If you have PCars then I highly suggest you select your favorite car then run some laps at your favorite track as dusk turns to night. Make note of how the angle of the sun effects visibility. Then add the rain effects in. I'm so glad someone (SMS) at least tried to present those aspects of what it might be like to race in those conditions.

Exactly this is why I do play pCars sometimes. Those features are fun, having gt mixed class race on leman with x5 time progresion and day night transition is very cool. It defently lacks feeling of good physics and ffb but those effects make it realy enjoyble sim or semisim or whatever it is :)

Ain't it great when Pcar nutters mention every game is unrealistic as some kind of defence of Pcars lower ranking realism, look else where on net for Forza 6 clips\news, and look at the pcars fans absolute disgust at being put in same realism bin as forza, far out they LORD it over them like they are children with a silly toy while they play the "ULTIMATE SUPER REALIST SIM", now have ppl from sim community point out Pcars fairly low on list in realistic sims and they lose the plot, the irony is just too much.

Your post does nothing but stir the pot and If I was Moderating I would have deleted it no matter what the topic is
You are rude and disrespectful.

Your post does nothing but stir the pot and If I was Moderating I would have deleted it no matter what the topic is
You are rude and disrespectful.
Its not rude at all, I insult no one, what are you even talking about can you be specific, or maybe debate my observation, or is this a lame attempt at character assassination?

All I wrote is a observation anybody can see, I will link a ton of evidence of the exact behavior I describe in my OP, many of the posts here amount to "oh no sim is realistic" as some kind of argument and defence of Pcars lack luster physics, I make very good point about those same Pcars fans, pulling the realism card on forza fans, how in ANY WAY is that rude and disrespectful, you are being rude and disrespectful, by trying to paint me as such with zero evidence of the fact, your post is just stupid and unfounded and HAS stirred my pot.

On topic. Project cars is realistic in a simcade sense. :thumbsup: It's very good though and I enjoy it a lot.
But poll option 2 is my pick.

People keep saying this but never come up with concrete evidence nor a good explanation of what this semi-new "simcade" term even is.

Objectively if you take the actual word "simulation" pCars ticks the boxes. Keep in mind that I'm not saying it is perfect (it isn't.. nothing is) but it tries to simulate the following, with better or worse success:

1) Proper dynamic tire physics with a complex non-lookup table based model, aka a "physical model"

2) Proper vehicle dynamics:

- complex engine, turbo and supercharger simulation (altitude/pressure changes and air temperature affect this simulation). Throttle application is properly simulated and is not a simple "go faster when depressed" kind of thing that we've seen for years in other simulators (which is why throttle feel is different in pCars compared to almost all the other simulators).

- proper differential simulation (as far as I know, created by the guy who made the differential simulation in Richard Burns Rally, Eero Piitula). Personally I think this simulation could be expanded and further developed. There are some workarounds used to get the 4-wheel drive cars to work properly

- complex suspension simulation with dampers and bump stops and all that jazz (with real-world digression knee values and suspension geometry taken either directly from the CAD models from the manufacturers or as closely estimated as possible). This area too can be further expanded with more complex simulation of the dampers.. but this is just a guess on my part.

- very detailed simulation of each components weight and placement within the chassis. For example fuel tanks have their proper place and shape within the chassis of the car. This means that a full fuel tank on some cars can feel very different to an empty fuel tank due to the placement and shape.. believe it or not, this was not at all always the case in earlier simulators. Fuel was just an arbitrary number of extra added weight that got mixed into the overall weight of the system and then subtracted when it depleted. Another example being engine orientation and the gyroscopic effects it has on a car. You can see this while standing still and revving the engine. Yet another effect that wasn't always taken properly into account in older sims.

3) complex tire heating, tire wear and heat flow system. Break pads transfer heat to the tire and vice versa. Tire has multiple layers of heating and multiple types of heating. Carcass has "flash heating" (instant surface heat buildup that directly affects the gooeyness/stickyness of the tire to tarmac), "deep heating" (overall warming up of the tire carcass and of course this is divided into segments over the whole tire. You can even see the heat patch flicker in the telemetry if you happen to flat spot the tire.. similar to all those rFactor 2 videos that made all us simracers go "woooah! the future!" a few years ago. Tire wear is also simulated through all the relevant layers of the tire, though in my opinion it is too lenient still. Flat spots were absolutely brutal at one point during the beta but was later toned down heavily. They are still there but the tire needs to be abused a few times before you can actually feel it through the FFB up to annoying levels (provided that you have FFB set to give you low-level forces).

4) Aerodynamics are simulated moderately thoroughly by dividing up the different parts of the car and how they relate to airflow. This is one part that could be better though. Some cars feel like they are too sensitive to wing changes even at slow speeds.. though I may be wrong about this. Active aerodynamics are also simulated at some level but the simulation doesn't tie into the animation system well.. which is why cars like the Pagani Huayra don't look correct during replays, which is a shame.

5) pCars tries to simulate a whole race session with pitstops, tire management, practice sessions, qualifying and such. It tries to truly simulate a full experience (not entirely successfully though.. oh those damn bugs all over the place.. oh well, at least it tries) from beginning to end.

6) Moderately advanced AI that tries to race you and fights for position. This is one area that is very splintered and divides people a lot. Personally I think the AI, when given some respect and when it doesn't bug-out, is absolutely awesome. Almost on par with ISI ai code (which in my opinion is currently king, mainly in the shape of Game Stock Car). Some people of course think it's awful (and to be fair, in some situations it is).

7) Proper weather simulation where perspiration, wind and air temperature all directly affect the physics (though I'm truly skeptic about the wind simulation.. I've yet to experience gusts of wind actually moving the car. Pretty certain it isn't simulated properly, or at all!).

8) Rubber buildup and marbles. Not as complex as rFactor 2 but more complex than GTR 2. This whole system could be a lot better but what is there is sufficient for now. The system they intend to implement in pCars 2 seems to be on a whole new level though.

9) KERS / ERS and DRS type of systems are simulated at a moderately complex level (energy storage and discharge is properly simulated in the various KERS/ERS enabled vehicles).

10) ABS, Stability Control (ESC) and Traction Control are simulated though ABS is a bit wrong as it's working at the same tick rate as the physics simulation which is way too high at 600Hz. Real ABS systems only work at much lower frequencies which makes the pCars ABS feel so smooth and thus a bit unrealistic.

Things obviously missing from the game that could/should be simulated

- Chassis flex is not simulated at all as far as I know.. or at the very least it is a very simple simulation with a "3rd spring" type of system, ala original rFactor. This could be a lot better and is one of the major causes for some cars to feel "strange" no matter how complex the rest of the systems are. Especially the Karts suffer from the lack of proper chassis flex modeling. Considering how sensitive the pCars tire model is to even tiny changes in suspension, I have a feeling that proper chassis flex simulation could truly make a pretty big impact on how the cars drive.. even the truly stiff cars like Formula A / B type open wheels or prototypes.

- Complex active damper nor any kind of complex hydraulic systems are simulated which means cars like the McLaren MP4-12C can't be all that authentic.

.. umm, from the actual vehicle simulation these are the only ones I can think of at this moment. Anybody know any other missing systems?

Notable problems/inaccuracies in the simulation:

- Tire longitudinal grip seems to be a bit too high on most cars.. most notable on the street cars.
- Tire transient grip characteristics seem to be a bit off which leads them to gain grip a bit too quickly in situations where you'd expect them to keep sliding and "stretching" a bit longer.. like over nasty bumps or sudden swerves or such.. but this is pure speculation on my part and only uses my meager real life experience as a measure. Could be the data is correct and my intuition wrong.

Anyhow, if you truly try to be as objective as possible then calling pCars anything less than a "true simulation" (whatever that means anyhow) is quite obviously unfair. You can make a similar list of your other games and see how they compare. Several areas of the list above are absent in for instance iRacing and Assetto Corsa yet they are considered by some more realistic?

If all this is just based on subjective feelings (which it in the end boils down to) then I can understand people wanting to put labels on things to describe these feelings.. but if we are truly honest here, I'd say there is a certain elitism and herd mentality going on here and these terms become used as derogatory terms instead of descriptive terms. It's put into a "us vs them" system so that one can feel comfortable and feel like a part of a team.. which has always been very strange from my point of view as I own almost all the simulators on the market. Personally I don't care who makes the best sim out there.. I just want it. :)

Actual answer to the topic: In my opinion and objective analysis (or at least as objective as I can be) Project CARS is most definitely a "true sim", whatever that means. It sounds like a car, drives like a car and smells like a car (referring to my leather office chair and sweaty TX 458 wheel). :)

bmanic.....very nice assessment. I been sim racing since the very earliest sims were developed and i can agree and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a sim, but with some flaws that need improvements to make it a better simulator!

Last edited:
People keep saying this but never come up with concrete evidence nor a good explanation of what this semi-new "simcade" term even is.

Objectively if you take the actual word "simulation" pCars ticks the boxes. Keep in mind that I'm not saying it is perfect (it isn't.. nothing is) but it tries to simulate the following, with better or worse success:

1) Proper dynamic tire physics with a complex non-lookup table based model, aka a "physical model"

2) Proper vehicle dynamics:

- complex engine, turbo and supercharger simulation (altitude/pressure changes and air temperature affect this simulation). Throttle application is properly simulated and is not a simple "go faster when depressed" kind of thing that we've seen for years in other simulators (which is why throttle feel is different in pCars compared to almost all the other simulators).

- proper differential simulation (as far as I know, created by the guy who made the differential simulation in Richard Burns Rally, Eero Piitula). Personally I think this simulation could be expanded and further developed. There are some workarounds used to get the 4-wheel drive cars to work properly

- complex suspension simulation with dampers and bump stops and all that jazz (with real-world digression knee values and suspension geometry taken either directly from the CAD models from the manufacturers or as closely estimated as possible). This area too can be further expanded with more complex simulation of the dampers.. but this is just a guess on my part.

- very detailed simulation of each components weight and placement within the chassis. For example fuel tanks have their proper place and shape within the chassis of the car. This means that a full fuel tank on some cars can feel very different to an empty fuel tank due to the placement and shape.. believe it or not, this was not at all always the case in earlier simulators. Fuel was just an arbitrary number of extra added weight that got mixed into the overall weight of the system and then subtracted when it depleted. Another example being engine orientation and the gyroscopic effects it has on a car. You can see this while standing still and revving the engine. Yet another effect that wasn't always taken properly into account in older sims.

3) complex tire heating, tire wear and heat flow system. Break pads transfer heat to the tire and vice versa. Tire has multiple layers of heating and multiple types of heating. Carcass has "flash heating" (instant surface heat buildup that directly affects the gooeyness/stickyness of the tire to tarmac), "deep heating" (overall warming up of the tire carcass and of course this is divided into segments over the whole tire. You can even see the heat patch flicker in the telemetry if you happen to flat spot the tire.. similar to all those rFactor 2 videos that made all us simracers go "woooah! the future!" a few years ago. Tire wear is also simulated through all the relevant layers of the tire, though in my opinion it is too lenient still. Flat spots were absolutely brutal at one point during the beta but was later toned down heavily. They are still there but the tire needs to be abused a few times before you can actually feel it through the FFB up to annoying levels (provided that you have FFB set to give you low-level forces).

4) Aerodynamics are simulated moderately thoroughly by dividing up the different parts of the car and how they relate to airflow. This is one part that could be better though. Some cars feel like they are too sensitive to wing changes even at slow speeds.. though I may be wrong about this. Active aerodynamics are also simulated at some level but the simulation doesn't tie into the animation system well.. which is why cars like the Pagani Huayra don't look correct during replays, which is a shame.

5) pCars tries to simulate a whole race session with pitstops, tire management, practice sessions, qualifying and such. It tries to truly simulate a full experience (not entirely successfully though.. oh those damn bugs all over the place.. oh well, at least it tries) from beginning to end.

6) Moderately advanced AI that tries to race you and fights for position. This is one area that is very splintered and divides people a lot. Personally I think the AI, when given some respect and when it doesn't bug-out, is absolutely awesome. Almost on par with ISI ai code (which in my opinion is currently king, mainly in the shape of Game Stock Car). Some people of course think it's awful (and to be fair, in some situations it is).

7) Proper weather simulation where perspiration, wind and air temperature all directly affect the physics (though I'm truly skeptic about the wind simulation.. I've yet to experience gusts of wind actually moving the car. Pretty certain it isn't simulated properly, or at all!).

8) Rubber buildup and marbles. Not as complex as rFactor 2 but more complex than GTR 2. This whole system could be a lot better but what is there is sufficient for now. The system they intend to implement in pCars 2 seems to be on a whole new level though.

9) KERS / ERS and DRS type of systems are simulated at a moderately complex level (energy storage and discharge is properly simulated in the various KERS/ERS enabled vehicles).

10) ABS, Stability Control (ESC) and Traction Control are simulated though ABS is a bit wrong as it's working at the same tick rate as the physics simulation which is way too high at 600Hz. Real ABS systems only work at much lower frequencies which makes the pCars ABS feel so smooth and thus a bit unrealistic.

Things obviously missing from the game that could/should be simulated

- Chassis flex is not simulated at all as far as I know.. or at the very least it is a very simple simulation with a "3rd spring" type of system, ala original rFactor. This could be a lot better and is one of the major causes for some cars to feel "strange" no matter how complex the rest of the systems are. Especially the Karts suffer from the lack of proper chassis flex modeling. Considering how sensitive the pCars tire model is to even tiny changes in suspension, I have a feeling that proper chassis flex simulation could truly make a pretty big impact on how the cars drive.. even the truly stiff cars like Formula A / B type open wheels or prototypes.

- Complex active damper nor any kind of complex hydraulic systems are simulated which means cars like the McLaren MP4-12C can't be all that authentic.

.. umm, from the actual vehicle simulation these are the only ones I can think of at this moment. Anybody know any other missing systems?

Notable problems/inaccuracies in the simulation:

- Tire longitudinal grip seems to be a bit too high on most cars.. most notable on the street cars.
- Tire transient grip characteristics seem to be a bit off which leads them to gain grip a bit too quickly in situations where you'd expect them to keep sliding and "stretching" a bit longer.. like over nasty bumps or sudden swerves or such.. but this is pure speculation on my part and only uses my meager real life experience as a measure. Could be the data is correct and my intuition wrong.

Anyhow, if you truly try to be as objective as possible then calling pCars anything less than a "true simulation" (whatever that means anyhow) is quite obviously unfair. You can make a similar list of your other games and see how they compare. Several areas of the list above are absent in for instance iRacing and Assetto Corsa yet they are considered by some more realistic?

If all this is just based on subjective feelings (which it in the end boils down to) then I can understand people wanting to put labels on things to describe these feelings.. but if we are truly honest here, I'd say there is a certain elitism and herd mentality going on here and these terms become used as derogatory terms instead of descriptive terms. It's put into a "us vs them" system so that one can feel comfortable and feel like a part of a team.. which has always been very strange from my point of view as I own almost all the simulators on the market. Personally I don't care who makes the best sim out there.. I just want it. :)

Actual answer to the topic: In my opinion and objective analysis (or at least as objective as I can be) Project CARS is most definitely a "true sim", whatever that means. It sounds like a car, drives like a car and smells like a car (referring to my leather office chair and sweaty TX 458 wheel). :)
Bmanic, not to dispute all you have written but is this all from your own personal view of the game or what developers have told you is in the game because that is a lot for you to say just from playing it.

Exactly what ppl have been told, problem is not many if any can confirm a lot of those features, for example, Pcars has no flat spotting enabled, and if it is, its not working properly, how about tyre deformation?Im telling ya it aint in there, I can t see it, replays are terrible so cant check, only evidence is some early alpha vid running at about 10fps,tyre heating is a complete mess alot of times even when working get odd results, I highly doubt the "complex" engine, turbo and supercharger simulation and think its just left over code from ISI thats not been tweaked much, that includes brake and oil temps so much of Pcars features are murky at best or just out right not there as advertised, it makes it all feel like one big con.

If pcars was actually running all that simulation, it would be the best drive out, its not, by a long shot, its got some of the weirdest bugs that don't even makes sense, Physx implementation is a complete joke, why do they even need 'A separate physics engine" for when car leaves ground that in it self is weird, the whole "project' from a sim nerd's perspective is a joke, and if you just accept there "features" on paper and leave it at that, you help lower the supposed standards hardcore simmers are supposed to hold devs to, I know in flight sims we do, however seems to be far too much young angst and emotions in race sim scene these days and gotta tip toe around the matter,PC gone mad (pun not intended).

Exactly what ppl have been told, problem is not many if any can confirm a lot of those features, for example, Pcars has no flat spotting enabled, and if it is, its not working properly, how about tyre deformation?Im telling ya it aint in there, I can t see it, replays are terrible so cant check, only evidence is some early alpha vid running at about 10fps

Yeah, sure...

Tyre deformation is barely visible, flat spotting is only noticeable on some compounds, but it's there.

Like I said about flat spotting,tyre deformation if there, barely works and is noticeable,the tyre model and general physics,after what was being said about "SETA" model was for me the biggest let down, throw in other "bugs' and minor issues and not impressed,SMS I have a suspicion was forced to tone down a lot of these features, from a combination of performance,casual appeal\consoles and physx issues, but that's just speculation, Im interested to know how you got that camera too, as like you said its "disabled" in replays.

As far as I know, the simulated tyre deformation is much more complex and has a greater effect on the physics that what we are lead to believe because what we see and what is actually simulated is completly different. I'm using Ctrl-K to activate that "limited free cam".

I'm not getting involved on if it's in there or not but I just want to make the point that what you see in the rendered model does not necessarily constitute what is calculated in the physics model and vice-versa and probably can't be deemed a gold standard source of information on whether a particular system is modelled in physics or not.

It's entirely possible to show a flat spotting effect in the rendered world without addressing it in the physics modelling, as there might also be tire deformation calculations in the physics model without having a game world rendered counterpart.

First time driving PC for me was tonight!

I actually got it off Steam a few days ago and couldn't play because off a HPP pedal calibration issue. I got all that figured out a few hours ago and put in some serious laps in a few GT cars ( BMW Z4 GT3 and the Audi R8 GT3 ) And I gotta say....I had a lot of fun!

There is still a lot for me to learn in this "sim" as I'm coming from GSCE , RF2 and Iracing. I don't know if I would go as far as saying it's " as realistic " as those three sims , but it's pretty damn close! I noticed a few little bugs in the sim which were annoying , but nothing I can't work around. But getting a car slightly setup correctly on a good track?....I gotta say , this thing put a big smile on my face.

I'm actually very impressed with the tune ability of the FFB , as I think it works very well in this sim if you spend some time tweaking it. The Ai drivers ( to me , so far ) have actually been pretty impressive.

The only real " arcadish " feeling I was getting is , I think the cars have a little to much grip? At least more than the other sims I mentioned. That's not a big deal since the Ai are dealing with the same grip , so it levels out....you just have to drive faster and can get away with it.

Overall...I gotta say I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It's put a smile on my face , and to me that's all that matters.

The default setups are meant to be very stable thus alot more grip and slower so when you begin to put together a much faster/competitive setup and race your car on the very edge you will find a very different scenario. Good luck and most of all have fun! See ya on the grid!!

Bmanic, not to dispute all you have written but is this all from your own personal view of the game or what developers have told you is in the game because that is a lot for you to say just from playing it.

You can CONFIRM all of it. Just go into the car setup and mess around with the various parts I mentioned.

The only part I can not confirm as I have not seen any impacts of it is the wind simulation, thus I drew the conclusion that it is missing or broken (even though it is featured in the game). Everything else can be confirmed and examined by your own experimentation. Take for instance the engine modeling.. all of what I wrote can be confirmed. Tire modeling can be confirmed (graining, heat and flat spots) easily on the skidpad. Suspension can be confirmed with the telemetry (there's a proper 3rd party app, kind of like MOTEC that you can use to look at all the data). Lack of chassis flex simulation can sort of be confirmed through extrapolating from telemetry but it's been confirmed by the developers that it's not there.. I'll take their word for that.

This is what makes all the "pCars isn't a simulation" opinions so frustrating as it shows the ignorance of a person. It's right there in front of you.. all the data you need to confirm that it is indeed trying to simulate quite a huge variety of systems. The key thing here is to understand that this does NOT automatically mean that the simulated systems are properly simulated or even well simulated but they ARE simulated! :)

A lot of people seem to have problems separating these two topics. A very basic Karplus-Strong physical model of a stringed instrument is a simulation of a stringed instrument. Is it good? Hell no. Sounds like ass and nothing like a real instrument. Is it a simulation? Yes. A well recorded sample set will sound a lot better but this one is not a proper physical simulation. It is a "look-up-table" kind of thing, aka "a sample". Thus the Karplus-Strong simulation is way more advanced but sounds a lot less realistic.

This is also the reason why the early iRacing NTM tire models were so confusing to people.. the actual simulation was a lot more complex than before but the results were horrible.. something like rFactor with a quite basic look-up-table kind of tire model drove a whole lot better. However Dave Kaemmer pushed on because he knew that with advancements the physical model can achieve so much better results in the future.

My point is this: There is no doubt at all that pCars is a proper physical model of a car. They are simulating things at a fairly advanced level. You can CHECK this yourself. The way the heat builds up over specific parts of the tire carcass can be thoroughly examined within the game (even more thoroughly with the telemetry) and you can abuse it to such a degree that it just wouldn't be feasible to do with a basic old school Pacejka Magic Formula.

Also make sure you don't confuse "lack of grip vs tons of grip" as simulation vs non-simulation. They are completely irrelevant to one another. You can have a very complex simulation of a car with tons of grip so that it drives completely unrealistically. It can still be a physical model, aka proper simulation of something. It's just a model with some parameters with wrong/bad data. Doesn't make it any less of a simulation. Same thing in the other direction. You can have a car in a game with almost no grip and one that is ridiculously difficult to drive.. yet have the game not be a physical model of any kind, aka not a simulation.

Like I said about flat spotting,tyre deformation if there, barely works and is noticeable,the tyre model and general physics,after what was being said about "SETA" model was for me the biggest let down, throw in other "bugs' and minor issues and not impressed,SMS I have a suspicion was forced to tone down a lot of these features, from a combination of performance,casual appeal\consoles and physx issues, but that's just speculation, Im interested to know how you got that camera too, as like you said its "disabled" in replays.

This comes down to your FFB settings. Yes, the flatspots are NOT on rFactor 2 level of brutality (they once were but were severely toned down due to people complaining a lot) but they are definitely there. They can even be annoying in some of the cars like the Formula A/B/C.

Tire deformation can actually be felt through the FFB in a way I've never felt before.. that is, tire pressure changes make a truly big impact on how the FFB feels. Much more so than in any other game before.

If you have time to test some extreme FFB settings, just so you can feel all the small things happening in the tire model, then try this:

Tire Force = 130

Relative Adjust Gain = 1.20
Relative Adjust Bleed = 1.0 (this is the key)
Relative Adjust Clamp = 200 (or whatever the maximum value is here)

Soft Clip (half-input) = 0.5
Soft Clip (full output) = 0

Scoop Knee = 0 (or set to whatever your wheel needs to become as linear as possible)
Scoop Reduction = 0 (if you know a proper Knee value then set this to between 5 and 15)

Steering Gain (last slider in the list) = as high as possible without causing clipping.. this varies a bit from car to car so I usually leave this at around 1.30 which seems to work for most cars. Some may still clip.

In car garage FFB setup tab:

- lower Fy forces by 50%, so set them to 50 instead of 100.

Now go on track and drive. NOTE: These FFB settings are NOT optimal for actual driving and enjoying the game because the extreme Relative Adjust Bleed setting of 1.0 will cause problems but this extreme setting allows you to feel some of the extreme nuances embedded within the tire modeling so that you can truly appreciate just how deep the rabbit hole goes. Now with these settings lower the tire pressures to absolute minimum and go back on track.. then after a few laps of experimenting do the opposite and turn them all the way up and go back on track. If you've ever driven a basic road car with summer tires that have way too low tire pressure you'll immediately recognize the feel of the wheel. That sort of whoolly wobbly non-responding springy tire feel is quite unique and seems to be very similar in most vehicles that I've driven when tires are under inflated.

Good cars to test complex tire stuff:

- BMW 1 Series M for basic street tyre testing
- Radical SR3 for basic "mini slick" tire testing (this one is extremely nuanced as it comes through such a simple steering column)
- Formula B Soft Slick (and if you want to try a "weird bugged out tire", try the Medium tire for the same car)
- Caterham R500 for it's weird snappy chassis and simple steering

.. anyhow, like I said, the FFB settings like this will probably cause some severe issues in some cars and some situations so I do not recommend using them for day to day driving but at least we get a glimpse of what it would be like to have properly working direct drive wheel (as of right now the OSM and Accuforce wheels do not work with pCars but the cause is now known and apparently being fixed).

The only real " arcadish " feeling I was getting is , I think the cars have a little to much grip? At least more than the other sims I mentioned.

Well, you can sort of compare with iRacing because the Brands Hatch track is available in both and is laser scanned in both games. Just drive your fastest possible laps around that track in both sims and compare.. then look at real world qualifying and racing times.

.. you may be surprised. :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea