Is it possible to add a handmade wheel to a thrustmaster 458 italia

Hi there, just throwing this out.I was thinking of a project to do with a making my own steering wheel with an LCD display and buttons and rotary's as well as gear paddles, when I finally got the parts list together, I came to realise that will the servo base of the Thrustmaster recognise that wheel has been changed and since I plan on adding rotary's (12 position) as well as buttons compared to the original 14 including the D pad start engine button and gear paddles. Some of the buttons were joint or would have the same function for instance the rotary (2 position) shared the same as the start button I believe. This was annoying in games like Automoblista where I wanted to use rotary's and buttons for different functions.

So after waffling on I want to know is it possible to add more buttons and will the servo recognise them after connecting the cable that links the wheel to the servo since I plan on having 14 buttons and 3 rotary's 2 being 2 position and 1 being 12 position. Or would it be better do build my own servo with FFB and make my own pedals as well, which I don't mind doing but kind of wanted an existing frame to build around on since it keeps cost down and is also old so I don't mind ruining it.

YouTube tutorial I am following:
Websites or useful info:
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-bluetooth-f1-racing-wheel.8312/
https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/7087-my-diy-wheel-for-the-g27/

Parts list:
-Black acrylic 6mm (make a template out of for the wheel)
-3.5 Inch nextion TFT LCD (using simhub for the screens)
-USB-TTL FT23RL
-12V momentary push button x10
-12V latching push button x4 ( for speed limiter,DRS, box and neutral)
-Rotary Encoder x2 (for brake balance and haven't decided yet)
-12 position rotary x1 (switching screens or scroll not sure yet)
-Various knobs to go over the rotary dials
-Arduino pro micro
-Arduino Nano V3.0 (apparently the parts list in the first video states the need for it but I never see it being used or mentioned)
-Foam or Suede for handles not decided yet
Pictures:
Wheel I am aiming to replicate or aim for
upload_2018-8-4_20-41-35.png

My current existing wheel ( I know it's terrible)
upload_2018-8-4_20-42-51.png

Last edited:
I just recently acquired the same wheel as an upgrade to my DFGT (was a bargain, wheelstand pro + tx 458 italia for 150EUR). I'm super happy with it but the rim is indeed super shitty, I got a blister in my hand after 2 hours of Dirt Rally and the rim is all around toylike. I'm planning on getting a better wheel for rally, I'm drooling on the Sparco r383 at the moment.

Anyhow, I got kinda the same idea as you. I'm thinking of using the 458 pcb with new buttons and modify the bottom of the wheel that has the quick release and shifters, so I don't need to use arduino for the conversion. I'm also planning of integrating my old ZTE Blade II Android Phone to the wheel with sim hub so I don't need any new wiring for the job.

I'm a Cabinet Maker by profession, and I'm lucky enough to have access to a CNC-machine so manufacturing the parts should be doable.

Here's a sketch of a wheel that I've been using to check on ergonomics.

ratti.png

Upvote 0
Daniel the picture of the servo you posted, is not the TX bit the ferrari 458 wheel, a much much cheaper with no removable rim. Identical rim though.
In order for a wheel to be used in the thrustmaster ecosystem you need to program an arduino which will be able to get it recognized as an existing wheel with the same amount of inputs. So you can't have 22 inputs on a 13 button pcb for example. But that's only needed for console racing. On pc's ypu can make a wheel an individual device and you're fine. Doesn't need to be recognized through the servo base..

Mammi arduino is so cheap that I wouldn't suggest destroying a perfectly working original pcb for such a project...

Upvote 0
Yeah after doing some more research I am more educated on the whole concept I found several other videos with one being a guy hacking an Thrustmaster TX servo with arduino uno. I did also look into making force feedback servo with an Optical encoder found in printers or in old mouses and doing what logitech G27 and G25 models did and attach the optical encoder to the shaft of the motor as seen in pictures below. My problem was finding similar gear cogs for the motors and for the shaft which will be connected to wheel since the gear cogs of the motor acted as the force feedback moving the gear on the shaft. I did look into pulley like the 60 teeth GT2 pulley and 20 teeth GT2 pulley and try and replicate that.

However my next problem I encountered was the rack and pinion mechanism seen in another photo below of the logitech G25/27 and DFGT, this essentially is a gear that is connected to the shaft of which is connected to the wheel, input from the user would slide the rail either left or right the snail cam (attached to the shaft) would stop the or lock the wheel in place. Reason wanting this feature i did hear that if the wheel is centred whilst calibrating the wheel wont work using software (cant remember if it was AI wave or mmos firmware). I did find some videos of people creating their own wheel but they used 480W PSU and since I wanted to make this build as compact I did look into using laptop power supplies which seem like a more suitable.

DIYservo base
- Encoder Omron 2000PPR or optical encoder with a disk (used in a logitech G27 and printers)
-Dc motor 12V 775 not sure if getting two like the G27/25 or use one like the DFGT
-Driver motor driver BTS 7960
-STM32 board or Arduino Leonardo (not sure yet)
-ST link V2 to upload program to the STM32 board
-PSU 12V
-Pulley GT2 60T and 20T with belt
-Wood or acrylic for the servo base
-Pillow Bearings
-Rods for shaft and structure
-Wires

DFGT layout
upload_2018-8-10_17-26-38.png

rack and pinion mechanism
IVItp52pCnaFjsVT.huge

upload_2018-8-10_17-25-47.png

Optical encoder
CTBhP1eigOuhUrkB.huge

Logitech G27 with two motors for FFB
UidVkwPtGC2eJLMK.huge

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also found this video about the assembly of an logitech momo steering wheel I just need to find the parts for the gear cogs or find out the sizes at least so I can replicate them...

Upvote 0
I have to agree with asteroulis, Your wasting your time, efforts and $$ on older hardware, Save up some $$ and get a real setup that you wont have to replace in another few years.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea