iRacing Update: New Cars, New Tyre Model, Beta Damage and More!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have, as usual, released a massive new update for the online racing simulation.

Marking the traditional new season update, the latest build for iRacing is a little bit more significant than is usually the case, thanks in part to the latest build containing a significant amount of new purchasable content, plus a first look at the latest damage model that has been made available in beta state on the popular Skip Barber F2000 car.

As well as the damage model, this new update also includes the latest V7 tyre model for the simulation across a selection of cars, changing the characteristics of some of the vehicles to move more in line with the latest understanding of the simulation physics by the developers.

On the new track front, the Formula One hosting Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya also arrives for the sim, adding the Spanish Grand Prix venue to the title, further increasing the number of Formula One grade facilities to the game:

“Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya is an incredible addition to iRacing’s family of world-class racing facilities,” said iRacing.com executive producer Steve Myers. “iRacers have been looking forward to racing Barcelona for a long time now, and we’re excited to finally give them the opportunity to do so. If last weekend’s endurance event is any indication, our users should be in for a real treat!”

“We’re pleased to unveil Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya to iRacing users for the first time this week,” said Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya general manager, Joan Fontserè. “Our 24h SimRacing event was a huge success, and our racers loved driving iRacing’s top-tier GTE cars on the track. We’re looking forward to seeing more iRacers around the world take on our circuit and can’t wait to hear their feedback!”
iRacing Barcelona Released.jpg

For iRacing news and discussions, head on over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment to connect with your fellow sim racing community members.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
If we are gonna talk adult here, I do not see how iRacing is expensive for adults.
As adult I have had more expensive lunches than I pay for years worth of iRacing monthly subscription.
As adult pretty much every weekend evening I spend downtown is gonna cost me more than any years worth of cars and tracks. And those cars and tracks are lifetime licence, hangover is just for one day or so...

It's all about the money...

Very rough math:
90,000 active users. If they all pay the max subscribtion of $130 incl. TAX that will give $11,700,000 per year. But we all know that not all iRacers pay the full amount, in fact, I would assume that 90% wait for the yearly discounts that iRacing always have.
So, 81,900 members renew when it's 25% off. That gives $7,985,250 incl TAX. + 8,100 members $1,053,000 = $9,038,250. And to be honest, I think it's far less than this amount because a number of those active users have used the iRacing introductory offer. But let's just keep it at that number.

Then there is the DLC. if ALL, (which I would highly doubt) iRacers bought 2 tracks in a year that would be: $2,000,000 incl. TAX
if ALL iRacers bought 2 cars that would = $2,151,000 incl. TAX (This is excluding all the discounts iRacers get for participation credits and content credits).

$9,038,900 + $2,000,000 + $2,151,000 = $13,189,900 where they would have to pay a percentage in TAX whatever that is in the US, I guess business TAX is 35%, so that leaves iRacing with $8,573,435 per year. (Although I would expect a more realistic number to be around $6,000,000

They have 50+ staff that I am sure are payed a decent wage. iRacing are constantly investing in new server, hardware & software technology. Having servers running 24/7/365 is not cheap either! Flying their staff to different parts of the world to scan tracks/cars and then paying for licensing is also a huge amount. And, unlike other racing software developers out there, (to my knowledge), iRacing also sponsor racing drivers and teams which in a way is giving back to the racing community.

Now, consider this, Pcars 1 apparently sold 2,000,000 copies before being offered for free with an Xbox gold membership. 2,000,000 x $25 (I'm being overly generous with the amount here as I'm sure this title cost more when first released). = $50,000,000 and what did you get for that? One buggy piece of software with no 24/7/365 servers or online matchmaking system. Yeah, they tried to fix some of the bugs for a year or two but then just released pCars 2 which was also buggy and had no online matchmaking system, (to speak of).

The above calculations are very rough, and I am sure there will be people proving flaws in the math but it's more the point I'm trying to get across- No, iRacing are not over-charging their customers.

If we are gonna talk adult here, I do not see how iRacing is expensive for adults.
As adult I have had more expensive lunches than I pay for years worth of iRacing monthly subscription.
As adult pretty much every weekend evening I spend downtown is gonna cost me more than any years worth of cars and tracks. And those cars and tracks are lifetime licence, hangover is just for one day or so...

Not everyone has those standards of living or expenses. That might sound weird for you, but you're a minority. But you make it sound like anyone as an adult has access to those living standards.

They don't.

Not everyone has those standards of living or expenses. That might sound weird for you, but you're a minority. But you make it sound like anyone as an adult has access to those living standards.
They don't.

I am bit curious, how many times does one have to say "I" in there so that you dont think someone is not talking about everybody...? I might be picky (let me be sure, I dont mean everybody is picky) that saying "I have had..." and "I spend" should be implication I speak for myself not everybody....

And to say something on topic, TCR really is fun to drive the more you get used to it. It is just what I hoped, no snapping at all, you can really toss it, lose it, and still gain it back without just bangin it to wall. At same time its quite easy to control, but when you push it, it certainly aint that easy to keep together. At this point, atleats in Laguna Seca, it seems hardest things are late braking into corner and keeping it inside when accelerating out of tight corner.

VRS has datapacks made by Martin Krönke with laptime 1:31:137... Tomorrow shows what is gonna be average pace of people... First couple days might be bit chaotic, kinda scared but also excited about how much contact there will be...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.