iRacing Transmission How To: Dog-box h-pattern

For those trying to learn manual shifting, I thought it might be good to isolate the instructions for each transmission type and start a thread for discussion. iRacing has modeled each type of transmission and even each type has subtleties for each car.

Good luck to all of those trying to learn a new skill. I'm having a blast! I'm slower, but in some ways more in control.

========================

Dog-box h-pattern:

- Impala A
- Impala B
- Latemodel
- Lotus 79
- Silver Crown
- Silverado
- SK Modified

Dog-box sequential with throttle cut:

- Corvette C6R
- Ford V8SC
- Radical SR8
- Riley DP
- Star Mazda

Dog-box sequential:

- Legends Ford34C
- Skip Barber

For a dog-box transmission, the next gear can typically engage when the revs are within a few thousand rpm - a pretty broad rpm range. You don't need to bother with the clutch, just appropriate throttle lifts or blips to disengage the previous gear are all it takes to shift. This also means that you can quite comfortably left foot brake with dog-box cars.

- Upshifts you want to do as fast as possible: press and hold your upshift a moment before you lift to preload the shifter, then do the fastest lift you can for a really quick shift. It is possible to use the rev limiter to unload the transmission and cause the upshift instead of lifting. If you are using sequential controls, remember to press and hold the upshift button until the gear change finishes. Some race cars have a built in throttle cut that engages when it detects pressure on the gear lever. For these cars you don't need to lift at all, just clicking the button will trigger the throttle cut. But make sure not to release too rapidly, or the shift may not be fully completed as you release pressure from the shift lever.

- Downshifts can be done very quickly too. Press and hold your downshift a moment before you blip to preload the shifter, then tap the throttle for a blip of the motor to minimize upsetting the car's balance as the next gear engages. In most cars there will be enough engine braking torque that the gear won't disengage until you tap the throttle for the blip, and remember to press and hold the downshift button until the gear change finishes for sequential dog boxes.

On the downshifts, i would read the sequence as following (and I am using paddles):
  1. Lift the throttle (and maybe brake at the same time)
  2. Press the downshift button and keep pressed
  3. Blib (only this will engage the new lower gear)
  4. Done
Please correct me when I am wrong.

But my problem with this is, and I am new to the Star Mazda, when flying to corner in 5th or 6th gear and lifting completely, I spin because the engine brake effect is too strong.

Try to RFB (H/T). If you don't know how to H/T, basically you engage the clutch when you lift and brake with your right foot, and when you need to blip hold your toes on the brake pedal and pivot your foot so that you blip the throttle with your heel. It's not easy, but will become natural as you get used to it. If you have trouble there are hundreds of instructional videos on youtube no doubt.

Hi, could someone please give a list of cars that use the 6 speed H-pattern transmission? I just bought the V8 and I'm very dissappointed to find out I can't use my H-pattern shifter with it. And clutch seems to be disallowed on the car. I don't want to buy another car without first knowing what tpye of transmissions it supports.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back