iRacing Review

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

iRacing Review

More than five years after its initial release, I feel it’s finally time to give iRacing the professional review treatment. Five years is more than enough time for one game to sort out all of its issues, the game costs several times more than your traditional boxed PC game available on the shelves at Best Buy, and deciding whether to take the plunge based on biased forum ramblings is never a good idea. Six hundred million laps later, it’s time to finally take a look at iRacing, and determine...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin, cleverly disguising your agenda by making it seem like a balanced review? I just can't believe this site is letting you do a review on iRacing. Very unprofessional. There is an agenda and it comes through in several places. Please disregard this bogus review.
Everybody can submit their articles/reviews Jim Lee. Its a community portal http://www.racedepartment.com/submit-an-article/

Welcome btw :thumbsup:
Well, i went in here through racedepartment's facebook profile where headline said it's "profesional review". After reading it I can say it's pointing out the good and bad sides of iRacing quite well (maybe except of road racing and physics bashing), but placing those accusations into review is simply loads of bull crap.

This is a well-written review, but I feel it's a bit overly critical towards the iRacing physics and tire model, especially in regards to road cars.

While there is *some* truth in a lot of the authors complaints, the overall experience for me is nowhere near as bad as this review suggests.

I also don't agree that iRacing is favoritizing the NASCAR series. To me they are balancing it very well, and the community is also split pretty much 50-50. Just looking at the list of cars and tracks available, there are 18 road cars versus 12 oval cars, and 26 road tracks versus 33 oval tracks (many of which also have popular road configurations, such as the Daytona 24h Road Course track and the Indianapolis F1 circuit).

iRacing isn't *perfect*, but it is getting better all the time (that's the beauty of the subscription model), and the truth is that there is currently not a better racing simulator available.

Did a try for a month on iRacing but was put off the rookies and the S/R system, just felt like hard work me. The concept and the sim is good, cars tracks are well done but I'm sure a lot of people are put by the rookies and don't come back like myself. If they made the rookie season free then pay content from there on it would work.

For now I will stick to RD community racing

after getting suspended this could hardly be objective?

"In short, if you’re a road racing fan, there is zero point in even trying iRacing." - made me laugh really, how much you forked out?
why?

7/10 could be true but only if someone release sim with iR tracks, AC graphics and rF2 FFB?
Physics half way rF and iR?

Austin,

Thanks for the review. If I read the reactions it is the same issue all over the net. You love it ore you hate it. Personally I do not agree with some things you wrote. The rookie season is quite good actually. The rookie class is all about safety rating and not about winning races. The main goal is to promote drivers who can make their way around the track without hitting everybody else.

A thorough opinion on iRacing that took some effort to produce, no doubt. It is also a bit 'sharp' or edgy in places so it was guaranteed to create a bit of a stir in the community.

I agree with most of the sentiment about iRacing but not to the same degree as the author. iRacing is the best funded sim out there and offers a lot of features that are best in class. The author described many of these nicely. The physics are a matter of controversy. For some, they are driving on 'ice', for others, they are just right. That just means you should try it yourself and see what you think. If you like it, great! If you're not sure about the feel or find it lacking... don't try to convince yourself that it must be the best and most realistic because of all the other things iRacing does so well. There are many who believe iRacing lags behind other sims in this crucial area.

And cost is another area that divides opinion. It is the most expensive sim-- easily. It also offers a lot of value, particularly if you end up liking the physics. Detractors compare the cost to RF or GSC etc... but remember, you can also compare the cost to real racing or even to paying to go see a few professional races. When you compare the cost in that direction it starts to look very reasonable. As with all purchases, it comes down to value and that will be seen differently from person to person.

I really don't know what else to add, because I attempted to address everything in the review to avoid the inevitable firestorm in the comments section.

I don't see how this review is objective. I've got almost nine hundred starts, two series championships, and a 2.4 Hours of Daytona overall victory. This is on top of real-world track day experience, and virtually every other "big" racing sim installed on my computer. Would you still rather trust a three paragraph review by a guy who did two Miata races without even calibrating his wheel? Come on now :)

The physics just simply aren't all they're cracked up to be. Oval Racing is decent, but the road cars are all sorts of awful. Is it still possible to have close, exciting races with them? Yep. But that's also possible with Burnout Revenge. Most road cars on iRacing require bizarre physics exploits to go fast, and the fact that even some are saying "I don't agree what you said about the MP4-12c, but the Skippy is horrible" only proves my point further.

For what iRacing markets itself as and charges per-car/per-track/per-subscription, this game should be perfection. And yet five years after release, they still can't model tire wear properly, when every other racing game from Forza to SimRaceway, can.

The only thing the game truly has going for it is the organization aspect, which, as was touched on in the review, is done very well. For many, that's all it takes to get sucked in and become oblivious to the glaring flaws.

I really don't know what else to add, because I attempted to address everything in the review to avoid the inevitable firestorm in the comments section.

I don't see how this review is objective. I've got almost nine hundred starts, two series championships, and a 2.4 Hours of Daytona overall victory. This is on top of real-world track day experience, and virtually every other "big" racing sim installed on my computer. Would you still rather trust a three paragraph review by a guy who did two Miata races without even calibrating his wheel? Come on now :)

The physics just simply aren't all they're cracked up to be. Oval Racing is decent, but the road cars are all sorts of awful. Is it still possible to have close, exciting races with them? Yep. But that's also possible with Burnout Revenge. Most road cars on iRacing require bizarre physics exploits to go fast, and the fact that even some are saying "I don't agree what you said about the MP4-12c, but the Skippy is horrible" only proves my point further.

For what iRacing markets itself as and charges per-car/per-track/per-subscription, this game should be perfection. And yet five years after release, they still can't model tire wear properly, when every other racing game from Forza to SimRaceway, can.

The only thing the game truly has going for it is the organization aspect, which, as was touched on in the review, is done very well. For many, that's all it takes to get sucked in and become oblivious to the glaring flaws.
I agree that it is likely that many people think the physics are the best just because of the quality of the tracks and organization etc... instead of really comparing them to other sims. But in the end, personal preference in handling feel varies widely in sim racing just as it does in real life. So if you do like iRacing's physics then you've got a great package to race on with plenty of best in class features. Those of us that don't think they are great... we have other options.

I also think you only view cost as compared to other sims. Even though I am not a fan of the physics, I can see that iRacing offers a ton of value and if you compare the cost to real track time... it starts to look pretty attractive. It all depends on if you like the core feel of the sim or not.

I would have to disagree that the road cars are undriveable, as the review seems to imply.

Quote:-
"In short, if you’re a road racing fan, there is zero point in even trying iRacing."

They may have their nuances, but the review says avoid road racing at all costs, all the cars are uncontrollable and spin out all the time (or words to that effect).

I ain't no alien, far from it. I can though lap in numerous 'road cars' and do not experience this constant spinning out the reviewer seems to refer to.

I would have to disagree that the road cars are undriveable, as the review seems to imply.

"In short, if you’re a road racing fan, there is zero point in even trying iRacing."

They may have their nuances, but the review says avoid road racing at all costs, all the cars are uncontrollable and spin out all the time (or words to that effect).

I ain't no alien, far from it. I can though lap in numerous 'road cars' and do not experience this constant spinning out the reviewer seems to refer to.

You "ain´t" an alien but you do not spin. Wow. You're right, the cars are not undrivable, they're barely drivable - most of them anyway, probable exceptions being the Riley and the MP4-12c. All others require from simracers that they believe these cars are always on the verge of spinning uncontrollably (and will often slide with the slightest of touches to brakes) . Obviously, with fans like you iRacing hit the jackpot and can go on asserting these cars drive the real thing - never mind Milner and other pro drivers saying iRacing cars are far from reality.

But for a lot of others, the underestimation of grip is barely tolerable. People wish to pretend otherwise, let them.

You "ain´t" an alien but you do not spin. Wow. You're right, the cars are not undrivable, they're barely drivable - most of them anyway, probable exceptions being the Riley and the MP4-12c. All others require from simracers that they believe these cars are always on the verge of spinning uncontrollably (and will often slide with the slightest of touches to brakes) . Obviously, with fans like you iRacing hit the jackpot and can go on asserting these cars drive the real thing - never mind Milner and other pro drivers saying iRacing cars are far from reality.

But for a lot of others, the underestimation of grip is barely tolerable. People wish to pretend otherwise, let them.
The lowspeed spin is less pronounced in the Mclaren, mainly because it is a very understeery car. But once you get it to oversteer, there is no way to save it. It's just gone. Look at real drivers running GT1 races, they aren't that smooth with their wheels, turning left and right all the time. Do that in iRacing and you won't make it through Turn 1. Once the car spins, it acts like it doesn't have front wheels. At speeds below 150km/h the cars are very unpredictable, both on brake and gas. Especially when turning at the same time. This is where the "smoothness" with inputs comes in, after all, you are driving on ice.

The lowspeed spin is less pronounced in the Mclaren, mainly because it is a very understeery car. But once you get it to oversteer, there is no way to save it. It's just gone. Look at real drivers running GT1 races, they aren't that smooth with their wheels, turning left and right all the time. Do that in iRacing and you won't make it through Turn 1. Once the car spins, it acts like it doesn't have front wheels. At speeds below 150km/h the cars are very unpredictable, both on brake and gas. Especially when turning at the same time. This is where the "smoothness" with inputs comes in, after all, you are driving on ice.

I agree. I have been told repeatedly that GT1 and GT3 cars are forced in various situations to hit kerbs and swerve with violence (during passes, to avoid debris, other cars, etc). Unfortunately, with almost all cars in iRacing this behaviour cannot be reproduced - for sure someone will drop here and say they can, but professional pilots who have tried it (and us, simracers) know better.

In that regard, maybe people ought to take a look at what Milner, Basu and Abresch have said about the inherent instability to all iRacing cars (Basu went on the official forums to explain the differences between his real life experience with the C6r he had driven and iRacing's, maybe some of you recall the bashing he was subjected to there).

--

It's not my contention that iRacing is a bad sim (physics wise). Not all. It is one of the best (collisions, transmission, suspensions - very well done for the most part), but for the price and the unbelievable hype (and fanboy attack level) it should be way above the rest when in fact is somewhat below the very best we can get out of rFactor/Race07 and is a bit bellow NKP/GSC.

Whilst I haven't try iRacing in a while (6-8 months ?), I did drive the MX-5, Street Stock, Legends and Spec Racer... They all exhibited the same major flaw: Tyres that feel like rocks.

There is no natural flow whatsoever in the tyre behavior, it doesn't feel smooth and natural, just feels snappy and edgy, to a certain extent a bit like Enduracers mod for rFactor, but bumpier.... It's a bit ankward to explain for a mere driver like me but yeah, doesn't feel "right".

No, I said I do not spin out constantly, as the review seems to refer to road cars doing.

I spin out like the rest of folks, but it isn't every corner as the reviewer would seem to imply.

No, you spin too much. Or you have adapted to a style of driving that bears little to no resemblance to real life.

You are probably not aware, but some iracers discussed this with Dave Kaemmer on the forums prior to NTM-pre-release and soon afterwards in the thread he himself opened. This complaint (either lack of grip or too low an estimation of grip/friction) was put forth to him, we were assured that the tire model was (then) slowly developing and getting nearer to his objectives.

I am sure Dave K. is aware of this. However, the situation follows a sinewave, gradually improving and gradually worsening, improving and worsening. For too long.

I agree that it is likely that many people think the physics are the best just because of the quality of the tracks and organization etc... instead of really comparing them to other sims. But in the end, personal preference in handling feel varies widely in sim racing just as it does in real life. So if you do like iRacing's physics then you've got a great package to race on with plenty of best in class features. Those of us that don't think they are great... we have other options.

I also think you only view cost as compared to other sims. Even though I am not a fan of the physics, I can see that iRacing offers a ton of value and if you compare the cost to real track time... it starts to look pretty attractive. It all depends on if you like the core feel of the sim or not.
I also think you only view cost as compared to other sims. Even though I am not a fan of the physics, I can see that iRacing offers a ton of value and if you compare the cost to real track time… it starts to look pretty attractive. It all depends on if you like the core feel of the sim or not.

traind - Can you elaborate on this so-called value? In my opinion iRacing provides the least value for your money. I've spent a couple of hundred dollars on car and tracks and have yet to find a car that I actually enjoy. The organizational aspect of iRacing is great. The best there is is. However, the physic of the road cars are not better than the rest There are some glaring issues that one would not expect given the price that we have to pay.
When it come to value, iRacing pales in comparison to the other sims available.

This review is dead on. I've experienced the same thing the OP has. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be mashing the pedal and flying all over the track and then you , for whatever reason, decide to take it easy a bit and it's like you hit the accident spot of a Vaseline truck explosion.

I also think you only view cost as compared to other sims. Even though I am not a fan of the physics, I can see that iRacing offers a ton of value and if you compare the cost to real track time… it starts to look pretty attractive. It all depends on if you like the core feel of the sim or not.

traind - Can you elaborate on this so-called value? In my opinion iRacing provides the least value for your money. I've spent a couple of hundred dollars on car and tracks and have yet to find a car that I actually enjoy. The organizational aspect of iRacing is great. The best there is is. However, the physic of the road cars are not better than the rest There are some glaring issues that one would not expect given the price that we have to pay.
When it come to value, iRacing pales in comparison to the other sims available.
If you don't like the feel of the cars then the value isn't there-- that's what I meant by if you "like the core feel or not". If you do think the physics feel good-- which many people do-- then the value comes in the organization, the community, the feel of access to a racing ladder and certainly the very well made laser-scanned tracks. I subscribed for 2 years but didn't race that often and let my subscription lapse because the core feel of the sim just isn't as good as others--- in my opinion. I am completely OK with someone saying they think iRacing has the best feel or that the full package overrides deficiencies in the physics ... to each his own :)

I was ready to stop my MP racing in GTR EVO and move completely to iracing, but was also shocked at how weird the physx and FFB felt, so no matter how good the rest of service might be, I won't tolerate sub par driving.

I think the future of real sim racing is between Reiza, Kunos and ISI}....and until iracing delivers a drivable package for experienced sim racers, it won't occupy a single megabyte of my SSD.

I in my opinion. I am completely OK with someone saying they think iRacing has the best feel or that the full package overrides deficiencies in the physics ... to each his own :)

Yes but it usually doesn't work that way, it's also accompanied by this or that other sim is crap/arcade.

For a bare fraction of the money you plow into iracing you could get...

Simbin mega bundle
GSC 2012
Reiza Formual Truck
Netkar pro
-----------------
$90-$95

You could then also buy rf2 and AC in a few months and still be under $200.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back