iRacing: Latest Damage Model Improvements - New Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Check out the latest damage model progress in this new iRacing work-in-progress trailer.

Having reported a while ago that iRacing are looking at substantially revising the admittedly poor damage model within the simulation, this latest preview video released by the developers suggests that work is coming on rather nicely - adding a much needed and often overlooked dimension to the racing experience that in my humble opinion doesn't go far enough in many modern sim racing simulations.

As can be seen from the short video above, the new damage model looks to take things much further than ever before in iRacing, with considerably more visual damage affecting cars that have been involved in content with each other or the wall across the large variety of circuits available within the sim.

From flying wheels to big visual damage, the new model is indeed a very nice step in the right direction for the online only racing simulation.

iRacing Damage Model Video.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Those of you hating on the tire model. Go ahead....I think if you had a direct drive wheel you'd have a much different opinion. Looking at all the sims right now, I find the iRacing model the most natural.
I own one since 3,5+ years, a GS-5 since release and I know iRacing even longer. But i don't like the tyre-model even with a 25k £ (+VAT) Vesaro with d-box and DD-wheel in VR;).

As for the tyre model - I can (but really shouldn't) jump between AC, ACC, R3E and Rf2 and have a similar driving experience in the type of cars I enjoy. It feels like improving in one means improving in the others. I just don't get that feeling with iRacing.
Now once we get AI on iracing, perhaps I can ditch the other titles and concentrate on the one game I'd most like to improve in. I really hope so.

Similar feeling here and i would describe the driving in other sims as balancing the car between under- and oversteer and keep it in this neutral edge between is the challenge, that involves correcting the car in any circumstance. In iRacing there seems to be only understeer and snap-oversteer and during cornering it feels like i'm only a passenger without control and have to live with the consequences of my past actions. The wheel-movements just come from the jolts of the track-surface and not the corrections of the driver, like in this rather extreme example.

Even the new tyre-model is a joke for the Skippy, it should be a bit better with slick-tyres i guess, but expected a lot more. IMO a big mistake not to put it on other cars like the Radical, Cadillac or Porsche Cup first, that really needs better tyres to make sense:whistling:

Last edited:
I think what's more important than how the damage looks is that this new model completely changes how the car interacts with it's surroundings when there is contact. There's quite a lot of information about how they are doing this in this article https://www.iracing.com/road-new-damage/
THIS.

It's fantastic that some sim developers out there are still working on updating and improving core-coding of physics modelling (even if this is more body contact and damage, not vehicle dynamics and kinematics). I think iRacing and Kunos with AC Competizione are the only sim-devs around who continually strive for improved physics of their software engines.

The rest of the simracing industry seems to just focus on pumping out ever more cars, tracks, and "shiny" graphics updates.

I think iRacing and Kunos with AC Competizione are the only sim-devs around who continually strive for improved physics of their software engines.

The rest of the simracing industry seems to just focus on pumping out ever more cars, tracks, and "shiny" graphics updates.

Hate to point out the bleedin obvious, but all dlc cars come with improvements to physics and software as developers refine their skills. That's why newer cars in established sims generally offer significant improvements over older ones (specifically noting R3E, rF2 and iracing from experience). I wouldn't call Sebring in rF2 just 'pumping out' a track either.

• Deleted member 113561

iRacing has rather the most flawed tyre-mode of them all today and obviously wrong. Just one example: GTE-cars in iRacing should be driven with 1,2-1,3 bar (17-19 PSI), but the real cars are driving with 1,8-1,9 bar (26-28 psi) like seen here and this is the right pressure according to Michelin as well. pCars 2 does a better job with that i can tell. And the new tyre-model is a joke so far.
Great info, thx :)
Always interesting to see that there are fanboys that truly believe they know it better than real life drivers like Nicki Thiim.

Great info, thx :)
Always interesting to see that there are fanboys that truly believe they know it better than real life drivers like Nicki Thiim.
Seems you have missed some streams. In his last one he stated clearly, that iRacing and real racing has nothing in common and people should not take sim-racing that serious. He also doesn't like the tyre-model and without the still rather unique online-system i guess, he would do something else.

Last edited:
You can clearly see a massive change in the aero balance when the car is damaged. Especially if the wing is damaged.
No I can't. Nor can I feel it. At least nothing massive there. The behaviour changes massively only if suspension is damaged. Big aero damage brings more drag and that's it. And believe me I had all kinds of damages in iRacing. :roflmao:
I will check Motec later this week, was going to start using it again anyways so I think it's a good reason to do so. But still the feeling is missing for me and Motec won't convince me that it's there. ;)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

Seems you have missed some streams. In his last one he stated clearly, that iRacing and real racing has nothing in common and people should not take sim-racing that serious. He also doesn't like the tyre-model and without the still rather unique online-system i guess, he would do something else.
I don't watch his content usually, just once in a while I see a video of his in my recommendation and I watch some of them. Thanks for the info :)

He wouldn't be racing so much in sims if he really thought they had nothing in common.

The fact is sim racing gets enough of the driving and racecraft experience right and it's enough like real racing that it's a very enjoyable and very similar experience.

He wouldn't be racing so much in sims if he really thought they had nothing in common.

The fact is sim racing gets enough of the driving and racecraft experience right and it's enough like real racing that it's a very enjoyable and very similar experience.
I doubt he's looking for a similar experience while doing foolish stuff during iRacing:whistling:. He's not even playing the tracks he's racing next for real. He's not investing into a highend-rig with motion and stuff to get a bit of the real car at home. And motion with VR is the minimum requirement to get anything remotely similar in terms of feedback. And iRacing is not accurate enough to train the real cars just by comparing the lap times.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.