iRacing: Latest Damage Model Improvements - New Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Check out the latest damage model progress in this new iRacing work-in-progress trailer.

Having reported a while ago that iRacing are looking at substantially revising the admittedly poor damage model within the simulation, this latest preview video released by the developers suggests that work is coming on rather nicely - adding a much needed and often overlooked dimension to the racing experience that in my humble opinion doesn't go far enough in many modern sim racing simulations.

As can be seen from the short video above, the new damage model looks to take things much further than ever before in iRacing, with considerably more visual damage affecting cars that have been involved in content with each other or the wall across the large variety of circuits available within the sim.

From flying wheels to big visual damage, the new model is indeed a very nice step in the right direction for the online only racing simulation.

iRacing Damage Model Video.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Looks great, I hope they finally address the rollover behavior.
Yes! And also the weird stuff that is imo related where glancing a wall makes the car climb up the vertical surface and end up on top of the wall!
And on a similar weirdness note those car-to-car contacts where energy is more or less directly translated from car A to launching car B in the air for seconds and seconds.
Next big upgrade hopefully better tire model, it is the worst of all sims atm.
Also yes! But the model has gotten better every iteration for several years in a row now. Yet still remaining as the worst model in that past-peak-grip area.

That damage model is clearly the best looking among competition. As are many if not most of their other features!

Cant wait! Also if you think the tyre model is awful you obviously havent tried iRacing recently, Nicki Thiim who drives GTE cars professionally said the GTEs tyre model in iRacing are way better than any other sim out there. Also they just released the new tyre model for skippies.

Cant wait! Also if you think the tyre model is awful you obviously havent tried iRacing recently, Nicki Thiim who drives GTE cars professionally said the GTEs tyre model in iRacing are way better than any other sim out there. Also they just released the new tyre model for skippies.
In general the model is just fine. If not more than fine in many areas! The issue is just the very specific area of the model - past peak grip.

I endured their even worse model for years. More or less their first 6 years since launch. And it has gotten much better every year since then. It's just that it's a deal breaker for me as this specific are is one that takes away all enjoyment from sim racing - for me :)

Edit: And I know of Nicki Thiim, of course. And I also saw his video from a year ago where he tested the Porsche Cup car in iR, AC and R3E. And iR tyre model fared the worst. Dunno which tyre model that car currently has.

Edit2: Ha, @BrunoB beat me to it. Sort of :p

Last edited:
Also if you think the tyre model is awful you obviously havent tried iRacing recently, Nicki Thiim who drives GTE cars professionally said the GTEs tyre model in iRacing are way better than any other sim out there.
Do you have any source for your Nicki Thiim postulate?
Because I have a source where Thiim compare iRacings TM against some other sims.
And you have to be named Trump to concludet that Nicki Thiim is assessing iRacings TM positive.
He consider the iRacing 24/7 service positive but absolutely not the tire model in this video.

The picture tell the story about what he think of iRacings TM.

rk09vm.jpg

Do you have any source for your Nicki Thiim postulate?
Because I have a source where Thiim compare iRacings TM against some other sims.
And you have to be named Trump to concludet that Nicki Thiim is assessing iRacings TM positive.
He consider the iRacing 24/7 service positive but absolutely not the tire model in this video.

The picture tell the story about what he think of iRacings TM.

rk09vm.jpg

That car is getting a new tyre model very soon as its widely accepted that its one of the worst on the service, taking one thing to represent every piece of content is just silly

I bet if you get 10 professional racing drivers to try iRacing and compare it to their real life car's behavior you are going to get 10 different opinions from yeah it's really accurate to nope not even close to the real thing.

That car is getting a new tyre model very soon©:roflmao: as its widely accepted that its one of the worst on the service, taking one thing to represent every piece of content is just silly
To the contrary of you I dont need to call your oppinion "silly".
Because I can document my source.
But if I just outpour my oppinion without any documentation then its just yes another oppinion or even some fake news - without any substance.
So is there a reason you dont post a source for this?
Nicki Thiim who drives GTE cars professionally said the GTEs tyre model in iRacing are way better than any other sim out there.

Im waiting:whistling:

Why? The tire model is one of the most important factors in a sim. It represents the entire driving experience. To 'widely accept it' is accepting mediocre or a sub par experience.
It represents the experience of just a single car thats all. By accepted that its poor I mean its been brought up by multiple people and thats why they are working on it right now, they said that the porsche cup is next on the list after the skippie and they released the new tyre model for the skippie a few weeks back.
Yes but it's terrible..hope they fix it very soon.
??? Its just not? Its a lot better than the previous and its pretty damn good, theres a few quirks with slides and how it affects temps but this has been acknowledged by the devs and they are working on it still as well as bringing it to the porsche cup car next.
To the contrary of you I dont need to call your oppinion "silly".
Because I can document my source.
But if I just outpour my oppinion without any documentation then its just yes another oppinion or even some fake news - without any substance.
So is there a reason you dont post a source for this?

Im waiting:whistling:
Because its in a live stream and i have literally no idea when it was and I dont have the time to crawl through every one of his live streams. You completely misread my point, the reason i called what you said silly was because you based a roster of hundreds of cars and its tyre model off of one cars tyre model, which is frankly silly.

...the reason i called what you said silly was because you based a roster of hundreds of cars and its tyre model off of one cars tyre model, which is frankly silly.
I don't want to start a war but.. :D
...Nicki Thiim who drives GTE cars professionally said the GTEs tyre model in iRacing are way better than any other sim out there.
Also iR doesn't have hundreds of cars, probably around one hundred.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.