iRacing | 2019 Content and Features Review Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing recently released a rather cool video - looking back on the many achievements by the simulation over the course of the last 12 months.

Reviewing in video form the changes within iRacing that have happened since last December, the American racing simulation has certainly undergone some significant development this past year - adding many new features and pieces of content as they bid to grow and advance within the sim racing genre.

Literally too many changes and content releases have occurred since December 2018 to write down here in list form, but I'm sure many of you will agree that the improvement to weather and time of day changes have been welcomed, as has the addition of AI and a brand new damage model... but to get the full flavour of the changes, check out this awesome new video from the developers:

Got questions about the sim? Ask our community and start a thread at the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum!

iRacing 2019 Trailer 2.png
iRacing 2019 Trailer 3.png

Last edited:
For anyone privy to Dave K.'s forum and blog posts, the idea that iRacing's developers are in it for the money is laughable.

But why then, if they’re all so passionate about the sim, has it taken them 12 years to produce a decent tyre model? Other devs seem to be able to produce better features in significantly less time with a fraction of the budget that iRacing has.

But why then, if they’re all so passionate about the sim, has it taken them 12 years to produce a decent tyre model? Other devs seem to be able to produce better features in significantly less time with a fraction of the budget that iRacing has.

You could say the same about Kunos, in fact any Dev, tire models are always improving whether you think it's eventually become "decent" or not it's neither here nor there.

I think the difference is that other sims have built their tyre models on an already known formula, developed by Hans B. Pacejka which uses lookup tables to calculate the forces on a tyre and how it reacts to these forces.

What Dave K. has been trying to do is create a completely new system to model a tyre which is based on first principles, (so, not using lookup tables). This is part of the reason it has taken so long, and will be an ever evolving process.

Think of it like this, other developers have used some known code to create an app. Dave K. has been developing a new operating system... this takes time.

In the long run, iRacing's approach will be far more advanced and accurate than all the other sims using the Pacejka model, (or similar).

Actually there was one of iRacings staff who named Dave Kaemmer as the Einstein of racing sim physics.
And this iRacing employee was serious :roflmao:
He even fluttered Kaemmers outpourings that iRacings advanced TM research does calculate friction and stuff on a quantum level.
On a quantum level :rolleyes:
I dont know what to say - but often a picture says more than words.

Baron Munchausen_wTireRota_v0-7.jpg

I think is is safe to say that suggesting anything involving sim racing would involve quantum physics is hyperbole.

That doesn't take away from the process which is an iterative approach based on continual improvement.

Using a lookup table may give you a good approximation that basically works and that people get used to, but it will always have limitations and holes. Typically this is where the rift between engineering and science comes it. Engineers tend towards approximations that they consider "good enough" for an application. Scientists are trying to describe something exactly.

Did you see the video below showing the mechanical engineering student who had the highest iRating started working for a racing company to helping to set up real racing cars. He learned how to configure his car for tracks in iRacing extremely well and that translated to the real world. This video is almost 3 years old and shows how even if the tire model is continuing to evolve that it has good real world dynamics.

@RC
I have to admit that I generally take "evidence" about certain racing games from RL drivers with a great deal of scepticism.
There are too many examples of (often) very positive assesments by RL drivers about the racing game they for one reason or another does fancy.
Thats also the reason I prefer as example Nicki Thiims evaluation of iRacings TM - because he tries to support his criticism with direct reference to how the same car SHOULD behave in the game - because thats the way it does behave in RL.
And thats something he has direct knowledge about:)
No fluffy outpourings from Thiim like this racing game is The most Realistic one.:roflmao:

Thats also the reason I prefer as example Nicki Thiims evaluation of iRacings TM - because he tries to support his criticism with direct reference to how the same car SHOULD behave in the game - because thats the way it does behave in RL.

Interesting video here from Nicki comparing iRacing with the latest version of Assetto Corsa Competizione (he was originally very critical of ACC) - go to 23:30:

More comparisons at 26:50.

Interesting video here from Nicki comparing iRacing with the latest version of Assetto Corsa Competizione
Thiims only positive conserning iRacing is that the handling on curbs in ACC on the level with iRacing.
He get zero confidence playing with the car in iRacing because of the (vrong) simulation of chassis flex.
29:29 Thiim is actually saying that iRacings TM/Chassis flex is way to simple so instead of "playing with the car" entering a corner you just "brake and then turn" instead of "playing" with the car and weight transfer entering a corner.

Hehe he is a pretty entertaining/crazy guy too.:D

Thiims only positive conserning iRacing is that the handling on curbs in ACC on the level with iRacing.
He get zero confidence playing with the car in iRacing because of the (vrong) simulation of chassis flex.
29:29 Thiim is actually saying that iRacings TM/Chassis flex is way to simple so instead of "playing with the car" entering a corner you just "brake and then turn" instead of "playing" with the car and weight transfer entering a corner.

Hehe he is a pretty entertaining/crazy guy too.:D

No, what he says in regards to chassis flex is, quote, "It's on the level of iRacing". He does not say the chassis flex is better in ACC than iRacing.
What he is referring to in iRacing is the V6 tyre model, and the overheating of tyres too quickly.
If he drives cars with V7 tyre model he would know that this has been resolved in regards to tyres overheating too quickly.
I can drive the Porsche cup car now and make many adjustments on the steering through a corner and even drift, (to an extent) and still be able to drive normally through the remaining corners, unlike when it was on V6 tyre model.

But 12 years? Comparing it to an operating system is ridiculous - it’s just another piece of code within the game code.

Yeah, it may be that I went a bit over the top in regards to my metaphor but the point I was trying to get across is that he is doing something that has never been done before, (in regards to tyre simulation). Things like that are not developed over night. Granted, in this day and age people expect things to be done yesterday, without much understanding how how much actually goes into creating something new.

:thumbsup:

I’m not too sure you know what you are talking about. And, if you read your comment (carefully) again you will notice you contradict yourself in regards to chassis flex modelling. Unless you are talking about two different things but just calling it the same.

Here is a quote from Dave Kaemmer responding to a question someone asked on the iRacing forum:

“10) Have you seen Nicki Thiim's video?

Yes. And I have to say, Nicki's videos are as much fun to watch as it is to listen to Jens Voigt announcing a bike race. In other words, awesome! And to be honest, he is right about the V5 slip and grip over the limit model. Although, I think it is not as bad as he makes it sound. Ok, it is if it's hot out. But he also says that he loves the "curb-surfing" (a great term) and that has much to do with the V6 carcass stiffnesses, which I think are very good. And he liked everything else about iRacing, including the graphics and track geometry realism. I think he's right about that, too.”

Nicki Thiims gripe with iRacing was regarding the sensitivity of overheating the v6 tyres, therefore having to be very precise with inputs. It had nothing to do with carcass/chassis flex handling, in fact, that’s the reason Thiim could, “curb-surf” so well in iRacing because of the carcass modelling.

The over heating issue is not an issue any longer with v7 tyre model.

Last edited:
His gripe was about not being able to feel the weight transfer in the cars, because that is what he has to do as a pro driver, that feel is severely lacking in Iracing, but not in ACC as he says numerous times in that stream.

That was what I took away from it, besides the couple of pluses and minuses he states, the main thing he seemed to want to convey was that in ACC< the thing you do in REAL GT racing was present, in that you use the weight and have to take care of it to look after handling, tyres etc.

Personally i take every real racing car drivers opinion with a pinch of salt, all it takes is for them to have a wrong FFB setting for them to dislike the handling of the car, you & me would never know that initially which is why I listen & read but ultimately come to my own conclusions, no matter the sim in use.

Personally i take every real racing car drivers opinion with a pinch of salt, all it takes is for them to have a wrong FFB setting for them to dislike the handling of the car, you & me would never know that initially which is why I listen & read but ultimately come to my own conclusions, no matter the sim in use.

But that applies equally to everyone's opinion. If you like iRacing more, it could just be that other sims you've tried haven't been set up properly. What he does bring to the argument is actual, real world driving experience in the very car he drives in the sim - he knows the inputs he needs to make and the responses he expects and can directly compare the sim fidelity. How many of us can say that? Remember also that he has previously been very scathing of ACC so the video was a major change of opinion from him.

In the long run, iRacing's approach will be far more advanced and accurate than all the other sims using the Pacejka model, (or similar).
Or not.
Also you seem confused about what TM popular sims use. pCars1&2 , AC, ACC, rF2 don't use Pacejka model or similar. rf2 also uses TM based on physical tire construction. AMS and Raceroom are based on Pacejka model, but it doesn't mean they are less accurate.
And using lookup tables instead of realtime calculations doesn't mean it's inferior by any means. It's actually the opposite, because you can factor in much more details and make way more advanced calculations.

Pacejka created what is known as the “magic formula”, which is used in many racing simulations, including rFactor, netKar Pro, and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. While the Pacejka Tire Model can be a solid method for replicating tires at race speed, the formula struggles replicating low-speed tire behavior. Because of that, racing sims tend to combine PAcejka’s model with other formulas. One notable one is produced by Milliken Research Association. Most notably, NASCAR Racing 2003 Season and Grand Prix Legends used a “Milliken & Pacejka ‘Similarity’ Tire Model”.
Shifting to Proprietary Tire Models

With the latest generation in racing sims, we’re seeing a departure from Pacejka’s Tire Model, and a transition into more proprietary tire replications.

For Project CARS, they’ve been relatively open with showcasing their Seta Tire Model, giving us a written feature on on how the virtual rubber is simulated in their title. However, they don’t go too deep into what they use.

Sims like iRacing, rFactor 2, and Assetto Corsa have made significant departures from their Pacejka roots, and have worked on developing innovative new formulas. Dave Kaemmer has been hard at work bringing his “New Tire Model” to iRacing. rFactor 2 has its own tire model, which dynamically simulates flat-spotting, tire flex, and dirt pickup.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.