Intermittent connection issues with Fanatec CSW - Solved

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
I was having issues with my Fanatec CSW v2.5, Formula rim, and CSP v3.0 where the connection would cut out loosing all control and as quick as it went away it would come back. Unfortunately, I would find myself collecting an unsuspecting opponent or off in the gravel.

I thought it may be an issue with online play until last night when it happened in an AI race in R3E. I tried rebooting the wheel, then the computer and even tried rF2 with the same results.

I contacted Fanatec,and got a response withing 12 hours from Fabian, he suggested checking the screws as highlighted below. I found the screw at the 5 o'clock position on the rim loose, I tightened it and it works like new again.

I have included the original reply so that if you have a similar issue you can trouble shoot as well.

e-mail;
Do you use a USB cable extension or a longer USB Cable? And is the base connected to a USB-Port in your PC directly or do you use a USB-Hub or similar?

From your description it sounds like the steering wheel is loosing connection to the wheel base, especially when all inputs including pedals get lost at once.

As a first troubleshoot I kindly ask you to make sure none of the screws inside the Steering Wheel Quick Release and the base connector is loose. You can moderately re-tighten the screws inside these connectors. Please do not tighten the screws too strong. The plastic of the connectors must not be deformed.

Enclosed I send you a picture where I marked these screws

upload_2018-11-11_10-45-7.png

Yes, this happened to me on my old CSW V2. I had very intermittent FFB and overall weird operation of the wheel, so much so that I bought a new V2.5 in frustration. Doing this actually fixed it and I was able to then at least sell the V2 instead of bin it.

They must come slightly loose during extended use and require some slight maintenance.

Upvote 0
I was having issues with my Fanatec CSW v2.5, Formula rim, and CSP v3.0 where the connection would cut out loosing all control and as quick as it went away it would come back. Unfortunately, I would find myself collecting an unsuspecting opponent or off in the gravel.

I thought it may be an issue with online play until last night when it happened in an AI race in R3E. I tried rebooting the wheel, then the computer and even tried rF2 with the same results.

I contacted Fanatec,and got a response withing 12 hours from Fabian, he suggested checking the screws as highlighted below. I found the screw at the 5 o'clock position on the rim loose, I tightened it and it works like new again.

I have included the original reply so that if you have a similar issue you can trouble shoot as well.

e-mail;
Do you use a USB cable extension or a longer USB Cable? And is the base connected to a USB-Port in your PC directly or do you use a USB-Hub or similar?

From your description it sounds like the steering wheel is loosing connection to the wheel base, especially when all inputs including pedals get lost at once.

As a first troubleshoot I kindly ask you to make sure none of the screws inside the Steering Wheel Quick Release and the base connector is loose. You can moderately re-tighten the screws inside these connectors. Please do not tighten the screws too strong. The plastic of the connectors must not be deformed.

View attachment 277891

Thank you very much for this post - my friend who is competing in the SRO race on Sunday had big problems with the wheel cutting out and this has fixed it (hopefully!!) .... certainly no problems for a long while.

Reactions: DND
Upvote 0
As a follow-up several months later I again had the issue but this time it was a broken pin. I have since replaced the connector and cable and am NEVER taking the rim off the base again. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

e-mail;

View attachment 277891Man I have been going through this for a while new With my Csl elite universal hub and the Csw 2.5v I finally fixed it with this advice to tighten the screws and it worked THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU SAVED ME SO MUCH GRIEF

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea