IndyCar league proposal

Hi everybody,

Let's get right to the point: as soon as I first tried the Dallara DW12 IndyCar mod when it was released for RFactor2, I foresaw the great potential it had to bring us an exciting championship opportunity. The car proves to be handy for everybody thanks to its pleasant traction grip and braking stability, both combined with an adequate turn-in and cornering behaviour.

Well, after squeezing the car alongside some friends for quite a few weeks, we all considered to suggest an IndyCar league in RaceDepartment in order to ensure crowded races rather than lonely parades from start to checkered flag, and that's what we are precisely doing right now.

Of course I don't pretend this to be as notorious and serious as Formula SimRacing or whatever; I'd like it to be just for fun - that doesn't mean forgetting about competitiveness and sheer racing, obviously. The key would be to have a fixed calendar with a scheduled 90-minutes Free Practice session, followed by a Qualifying round (maybe with knockout trials, F1 style) for each Grand Prix, that would consist of two short races (reversed grid anyone?). To make sure that everybody has the same opportunities, the drivers would have to respect a very simple rule: not to test out of the 90-minutes Free Practice period.

I know that it's difficult stuff as organisers wouldn't have any control over drivers, we'd have to rely on them and even on ourselves. But that's what would make this league special; having to cope with limited practice time to fine-tune the car, having the ability to maximise the hour-and-a-half period efficiently so as to make the best possible setup. Just like in real life. If that, in addition, favours equality within the grid, what could go wrong if everyone is comitted to the pact?

We'd like to know your opinions about the hypothetical championship first to assess whether it would be viable or not. Thanks for reading and feel free to add any suggestion.

My thoughts on a race procedure would be to tie up with Indycar in real life, Races being 200 miles (Except for Indy 500 miler) on road courses and drivers forced to use both tyre choice (if possible).

That opens up strategy and provides a parity to real life Indycar racing.

Ballast is fine by me though, but there is no way to restrict practice. Personally I would like to see tracks that are either current or past Indycar tracks or tracks that you could conceivably see Indycar racing on (Sepang, Estoril, Silverstone, etc), as opposed to Nordschleife or Leinz. Still, if such tracks were involved I would probably just skip those rounds.

Last time on Salem Valley I ran wide on Turn 2 and gathered the famous warning cut track too, it depends on the track and the car.And as you say I am looking for the next DW12 update, hoping that it will be more realistic.Right now too much Vmax, too much grip and a stricly similar sound whatever you choose the Chevy or the Honda engine...
For the grip and Vmax the next aero kits coming for St Pete will probably make the ISI version finally realistic.Basically, the game was ahead of the real schedule DW12 dev !! :cool:

I suspect the new version from ISI will be a "2014 spec" DW12 - with no aero kits. Though it would be nice to be surprised.

Ok, anyway even if the grip level and Vmax is still like that, with or without aero kits, the most important thing for me is the engine sound.And get a settable 2nd gear (too long for now).
For the league idea, it's natural to think about it with such a good car like this.But I think that the schedule is full enough to add another league.
Let's continue to make some club races with it and test some ideas: longer races than 30 minutes for the tire strategy, test some other track...
Because I speak about circuits, here is the new version of Road America 1.0 !
http://www.************************...ESSID=he4f6mf8scpi1lb1coq1tda230&topic=3471.0

Another good tracks I waited for long time ! Finally it's not bad, road is not very beautiful yet...
But the challenge around those various corners is not easy !

Let's try this american track guys

imo its the complete opposite as the f3.5 is unpredictable for me..
Yes, in my opinion it would be a really good choice for the whole grid to simply replace the FR3.5 league by a brand new IndyCar one: easier to handle, soft and hard tires for a real strategy. And the mistakes risk is way decreased with such a excellent mechanical grip and an hability to correct the understeer when you want.;)
The FR3.5 is popular of course but what a crappy car on the exit of slow corners in 1st or 2nd gear, and the bodywork is so bad on the bumps.:poop:
Remember the first race at Spa, so much players were complaining about the bumps (me too, that track sucked and sucks again, it didn't have my vote...), but the problem is quickly solved with the right car ! :geek:

In fact Mid-Ohio is a good example too: the second part of the track is all about up and down and dangerous kerbs: the DW12 can get it right with a real pleasure behind the wheel, just try the FR 3.5 and it will be oversteer and spin over and over !! And so much frustration etc

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back