• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Improving ai performance / aiw files

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by VernWozza, Feb 22, 2017.

1. VernWozza

VernWozza

Ratings:
    +35
    As someone who races exclusively offline ai performance is important to me. I often find that there is always one corner on every track that ai are dreadful on.

I would like to learn how to edit the ai performance / aiw files. Is there anyone out there who can help me get set up and take me through the basics?

Thanks,
    Vern

2. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +257
    Go to the official RF2 website, in the DevCorner there's a tutorial on AIW editing from ISI, that'll be a good start :)

3. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    Vern....all this info is what got me started in AIW creation for rF1 (2005) and now into the present rF2, enjoy!

AIW (AI Path) Creation Tutorial - PDF
    http://imagespaceinc.com/downloads/rf2/modsresources/rF2_AIW_Creation_Tutorial.pdf

The definitive AI Settings Thread:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/the-definitive-ai-settings-thread.38584/

Note: These videos were originally for rF1 but are also very helpful for rF2 since the editing is very similar!

Madcowie's AIW video tutorial

Keeper's AIW video tutorial to smooth pit/track transitions, garage areas, etc.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. VernWozza

VernWozza

Ratings:
    +35
    Nice one thanks guys. I will look at all of that.

One side note, if I was to update an aiw file could I then share that for other to enjoy or would that require a modification to the original file/track download?

5. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    I share my aiw updates with friends as a add-on track update which has the advantage that it doesn't affect the original track files and the update is a very small file. Then if you plan to race online it's an easy step to temporary uninstall your aiw update otherwise you won't be able to race their track with your updated aiw unless they also have the update!

You will need to learn how to pack the mas file containing your aiw update for sharing.

6. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,379
    Why not share the new aiw's with the track creator?
    A modder might be an excellent 3D moddeler.
    But creating AIW's is a profession in its own right.

7. VernWozza

VernWozza

Ratings:
    +35
    OK I have failed at the first hurdle.

In the ISI guide it states "CTRL + \ = enter AIW edit mode" but nothing happens when I do that.

Any ideas?

8. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    All i do after starting up rf2 is choose the DEV mode located directly under the single player icon. Be sure only "Practice" is selected and then load up your track which needs to have been previously installed in your rFactor2/ModDEV/Locations folder.

After your track is loaded up then choose "Race" to enter track. Now choose "Enter AIW Editor" or use your shortcut "Ctrl + \" to enter the editor.

9. VernWozza

VernWozza

Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry to be a pain.

How do you install tracks to mod dev? I just tried copying the track package over to the mod dev locations folder but that didn't work.

I can see a Joesville folder where it looks like the package the contents of a tack package has been extracted. Do I need to do something like that?

10. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    You need to copy the track you want from your rF/Installed/locations directory into the ModDev/locations directory. There is no need to extract the files from their MAS directories!

When you work with the editor and save your AIW then you will see your new AIW file plus a AIW backup. When all is finished then you add your new AIW file to the MAS directory which contains the old AIW and let it over write the old AIW, then save it.

Some great info/tutorials and videos you might be interested in:
    https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,379
    This isn't needed anymore. Dev Mode comes with the steam install. Just click on the dev mode icon in the launcher. :)

(rFactor2 SDK (Dev Mode) Build 1098):
    Maybe it's best that @Marcel Offermans removes the old SDK dev mode Installer from that page.
    It's outdated and might cause confusion, conflicts and false bug reports with current version.

12. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans
    Staff

Ratings:
    +792
    Thanks for the heads-up. I removed it from the page.

13. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks....good to know. I also edited my post to prevent any confusion.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    I will keep it in mind for future consideration if approached by a modder seeking AIW help.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  15. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +257
    I also keep my AIW to myself, mainly because I only use them for personal Offline use and simply can't be bothered to explain for the 100th time how to package an AIW file to someone!
    Also editing the AIW can be highly dependant on the Car/Mod you're using, I've found what works great for the Nissan GT at Bathurst is rubbish for Open Wheelers for example. Seeing as as I mainly edit AIW purely for one series and not tweak them for all then that's another reason to to publicly release anything.

16. Ace King

Ace King

Ratings:
    +69
    MarcG.......exactly! You must have read my mind. :D I been doing this same approach since 2005 for rF1 and made track packs which contained specifically tuned AIW's for a few favorite car mods!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +257
    I started around 2006/07 I think, dived into rf1 AI then carried on into RF2 :)