Importance of steering wheel quality and pedals

Hello,

are there any differences when driving with the basic steering wheel with brake/gas pedals on the same axis or with the advanced wheel with individual axes for the pedals and clutch pedal?
I'm asking this regarding the racing performance and driving feel with different wheels. Is it worth buying G25 or DFP or should one stay with the basic wheel until becoming almost a Pro?

Regards

• Nick Fine

I've just bought the Logitech one as my first wheel. I can tell you this: if you're any kind of a driver you'll want to spend the money on something a little better. Not that it's poor or unresponsive, it just lacks a few features that I'm sure the mid to high end stuff has....e.g. spikes in the footboard, better spaced/ergo pedals, smoother ff. For me as a first wheel it's great, but if you can afford it spend a little more and get something better.

The momo pedals are plastic rubbish and *will* break after a while. The pots in them are ridiculous and will start spiking and losing calibration, and then some plastic bit will break eventually.
Been there, done that. The pedals are definitely the weak point.
So if the G25 pedals are even remotely better, they will be infinitely better.

• Eric Soeters

Okay clear stories all together. But I have 2 remarks. First of all I hear people are switching back to non force feedback (or turning it off) wheels, because it works better?

Furthermore, are there people who have experienced both a G25 and a Logitech Driving Force Pro (also FFB)? Is the switch from wheels still worth the money in my case?

• Phill Kaye

I have a logitech formula force, which cost me 29 pounds, my mate has a G25 and the G25 feels miles better when i use it, however, I can lap within a tenth of his times in qualify and in races I can beat him sometimes, and he is very fast. What I have found is that If I use the Logitech Profiler (the software logitech supply) I can adjust how the wheel reacts, that combiened with the games sensitivity settings, make the car do roughly what i want it to when I want it too. The G25 has alot more scope and adjustments, which makes it a great tool. If I could have afforded one at the time I would have gone for the G25

• Eric Soeters

If I could have afforded one at the time I would have gone for the G25

So if i quote your correctly. It will give me more racing experience. Is the improvement of the experience enough if you ofset it againt the purchase price of the racing wheel?

• Matt Crouch

I switched from DFP to G25 and I think it was definitely worth it. Before I used to cringe whenever I moved the steering wheel much because I thought the neighbours might think I'd taken up strangling cats, but the G25 has a much less annoying FF noise. Other than that the pedals are better and it's generally a nicer wheel to use :)

• Matt Alpeter

LOL sometimes I turn the computer on when my roommates are sleeping and all of a sudden RRRRRRRR POP RRRRRRRR LOL!! It is a noisy bugger, especially when calibrating, but I love my DFP. I had my window open once and my roommate was outside talking to someone on our driveway. He came back in and said he could hear the wheel when I turned it quickly all the way to the street lol.

I had a momo for nearly 3 years and loved it, then my boss bought me a G25... as others have said its a great wheel and i wish i bought one a long time ago.. it has only improved my times a little... but the main differnece is the feedback i get from the wheel.. i can recover from making a mistake far better . and feel when i get under/oversteer faster. Also i find i enjoy practicing more :) it's just a nice wheel to drive with.

• prez

Im having the cheapest wheel ever made....dreaming of a G25 . But i dont race that much, so ill just dream on. I think when it comes to doing fast laps you can do it even on a keyboard, BUT with a proper wheel youll feel like driving not playing. Am i right guys?

I drive on MOMO BLACK too and for the moment its fine for me, though i would like to test the G25 (probably will in near future).

In my opinion MOMO is a bitt to strong (FF-when turning) and the pedals.... yea... they're bull ****... If only pedals were better it would be a lot closer to the G25 as it is now...

Anyway a great wheel if you dont have or dont want to spend bigg bucks just yet ;)

i got hooked up on racing ever since the 1st gt on ps1 up to gt5 on ps3, thru those years with just a rumble pad. and for a year now i have moved up to simracing with a g25, now feel sorry for my self for playing all those great games on a rumblepad.. should have bought a wheel at that time. so i suggest you get a g25 now rather than get a cheapo and waste your cash upgrading to a g25 sooner or later.
:beer:

i just went to a g25 after 5 years of a ffgp. its definately worth the money although i did only pay £100 for it I would'va payed the list price and been equally bouyed. the longer smoother inputs took time to adjust to but its definately faster for me, im better and conserving tyres and that bit of extra feeling in the pedals means its much easier to dial a lap in and repeat it time and time again.

recomend one to anybody.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back