1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal overtaking? Getting a penalty? Fair Play will work in 2012!

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Tom, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

GREAT NEWS, EVERYONE!

It's all about the details...I personally gave the spot back to the AI even when I didn't get a penalty (I almost never get one in F1 2011 anyway, too clean, uh?) but that's great. Now you can even avoid penalties by giving the place back.

Question: Speaking of Xbox #F1 - now we've met @AndyGray_ is there any option to appeal to stewards on bogus penalties in F12012? :p (@F1inPubs)

Answer: @F1inPubs no but you have the opportunity to give the place back after an illegal overtake

• Like Like x 2
  2. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

A really nice addition, also i hope for an option to disable penalties %100 when playing off-line. Why doesn't CM let me ram into AI! :p

Seriously, when i just play for fun, some penalties are extremely annoying.

3. I'm sure they put this in F1 2011?
    They just don't give you very long to give the position back.

4. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

Unless there is a prompt from the game to let you know you need to give the spot back this will be useless to some people.
    Sometimes the driver doesn't know they've overtaken another driver illegally. In those cases the driver would benefit from a notice from the game that they need to give the position back.... something like the drive through penalty warning that lets you know if you don't drive through the pits in the next lap you will be black flagged.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's great! I'm so tired of getting an 'illegal overtake' at the start just because someone rammed me at 300km/h while I was braking for a corner while following another car..

6. from what I have been reading, if you pass someone off track, when you get back on track you will have a little clock thing or something saying you have a certain amount of time to let someone back through or a penalty will be handed

7. Only one second lol

8. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

hmmmm.. a timer eh? Could be crazy online if the guy you overtook wants to be a jerk about it....and just sits behind you till the timer runs out :O_o:
    But i guess there are always going to be people who want to take advantage of the rules. I'd rather have this in the game than out of the game.

9. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

I suppose it's possible NOT to tell the driver that he can take his place back, and just let him think he is performing a great overtake, or be happy thinking that the other driver is having a technical problem .... :)

10. I made mod which remove penalty in 2011

11. Apparently you have seven seconds to give the place back. I feel it should be more like 15 seconds.

12. I do feel their is a major issue here cos in a few videos people have gone into the back of cars and got a penalty if people just hit the brakes the guy behind better beware big time otherwise both will get a penalty

13. Eric Jaeger

Eric Jaeger
    2012 GP2 Champion

I think they need to do a complete overhaul of the penalty system. It's a great idea in order to keep people from using the car as a battering ram but it really needs to look at the situation and THEN make a decision on who gets a penalty. That's what happens in F1 for real: drivers make contact with each, stewards review the situation, then they make a decision on who gets penalized. I've had several races online where people make contact with each other right in front of me and I get a drive through, wtf. And the "illegal overtake" penalty is a bit outa whack. I get giving it to someone when they pass off track, but I got one at Spa going through the bus stop chicane and there was NO ONE in front of me, unless the car I supposedly passed was parked off track somewhere I didn't see it. It's a bit frustrating when your having a good race and it's ruined by a bs penalty.

14. From what I saw, there is a penalty for crossing the white line at the pit exit. Interesting!

15. Andrew Bortz

Andrew Bortz
    GoldenBortz

Finally so glad to hear about the pit exit line penalty.

16. Scott Tanner

Scott Tanner
    3vil - Steam

Wasn't the pit exit line penalty removed in 2011 to stop the online abusers stopping on the pitexit lane causing folk to choose to crash into them or get a penalty for going over the line to avoid abusers? I hope that this time as the line penalty is back, that the abusers who stop are ghosted on the pit exit.
    Or even better no abusers at all and people that actually play to race not grief!

17. Penalties look nice. Yesterday I had a penalty for not leaving room for Di Resta. Later I had 10 seconds to give the place back after illegal overtaking and another penalty for bumping a car causing it to lose control. I'm impressed.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

Yeah, and I got a 10 second penalty for causing a collision on the Parabolica @ Monza.

I was understeering like hell and squeezed Maldonado off into the gravel.

Of all people ....... he deserved it, team mate or not ;)

It's the 1st time I had ever seen Karthikeyan in front of me ...... and I wasn't lapping him, saying "oh **** Karthikeyan, I hope he gets out of my way"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Well. There are still some serious shortcomings, Ascari for example. You can go completely off the track turning into it.

And why aren't there more intense kerbs in the chicanes, it encourages people to just drive over them like idiots as it is. (no penalty btw)

we wouldn't need as many penalties if the kerbs were right, going over one would be penalty enough.

• Like Like x 1
  20. This is because the penalties are set to "reduced" in the demo. I don't know actually but probably because this is a very early build and it hasn't been ready for release.