Cars [IER Simulations] Ferrari 458 GT3

What happend to this mod? Any news?
1621030410215.png

A bit too busy at the moment..

@mclarenf1papa
I have a question about how were you going to do the model swapping in practice? As far as I understand sharing kunos 3d models is not allowed in mods but you still somehow need to get the ferrari 458 gt2 kn5 files into your own car folder. So you can replace some parts of it with your own. If I understand you correctly.

Can shaders patch extension file "copy" or borrow kn5 files from other cars or how were you going to do it in practice? I'm curious because I am looking at a similar problem.

lods.ini can read files from other car folders, you just use relative paths (something like ..\ks_ferrari_458_gt2\ferrari_458_gt2_a.kn5). You only need the shaders patch for the actual mesh changes.

Last edited:
Welp, guessed as much. Maybe when oreca 07 goes out of commission you might change your mind but for now, yeah. Pretty confidential i understand.
It’s like asking why F1 teams don’t release their sim models to the public. A substantial amount of time and money goes into these kinds of programs, so it doesn’t make sense to release it to the public...especially when you then have to provide support for your “product”.

I don't know what the process was behind the P13C exactly. But might the reason why the P13C went public at all be that it was a previous iteration of a LMP car and had no substantual meaning anymore in the grand scheme of things at the time of release? As it's probably the most advanced LMP car within AC I can only guess the amount of data you had on your hands to build the thing. So releasing such a detailed representation of a car to the public might only be possible if actual teams don't use the car anymore and the manufacturer has moved away from the project (hence we saw the Porsche and Audi LMP1 cars in iRacing only after both decided to quit their LMP1 program).

So assuming you're working with equal amounts of data on your current projects (not public) I can only guess the only way any of these projects could be released to the public would be at a time when that said project (car) is old enough to not be relevant to either manufacturer or team. There might also be some legal things of which I do not know anything about.

Regarding the Ferrari: As much as I'd love to see that car in AC you have to consider if AC even is a thing anymore by the time you might actually find spare time to finish this "hobby" project.

Anyways. I'm enjoying your cars immensely! Maybe there will be a time when we might see something new being released to the public :)

The bigger problem for private stuff is the teams we work with aren't gonna pay for a 3d model that can be released publically, when all they need is an $80 private use one off hum3d with a few tweaks to match equipment the team uses (button box, wheel, dash)

@SellerieMitDip Nice post, thank you. Correct on reasons for P13 release. It was a rather old-fashioned car with little to hide, and the regulations phased every major design feature out entirely.

So assuming you're working with equal amounts of data on your current projects (not public) I can only guess the only way any of these projects could be released to the public would be at a time when that said project (car) is old enough to not be relevant to either manufacturer or team. There might also be some legal things of which I do not know anything about
More data on current projects, and yes, that's all correct. The P13 was a special case because a huge amount of it was thorough research to build up the data pool in addition to various connections, versus private projects where data is provided directly from one source. There is an additional factor vs. the P13 which is development cost. Clients for these kinds of cars invest significant budgets to have vehicle models developed to the level of accuracy we provide, so releasing something like that to the public doesn't really make sense for anyone, even if the car is out of commission (which won't be the case for most cars now due to chassis being recycled between regulation periods, etc.). The team wouldn't get back much money and we wouldn't really make any in proportion to the original work. And then we have to deal with customer service, etc.

The bigger problem for private stuff is the teams we work with aren't gonna pay for a 3d model that can be released publically, when all they need is an $80 private use one off hum3d with a few tweaks to match equipment the team uses (button box, wheel, dash)
Also this. Doing a car to public production standards costs us about $6k, so it makes more sense for teams to go the route mentioned above. If we wanted to go public with a car, we would have to take the initial loss on model development and then make it up over time in public sales, which isn't actually very easy to do. Especially for a car that's not very dissimilar from ones available in other sims or even AC, we'd end up with a pretty insignificant profit margin.

GTD doesn't need an update though? And is 458 gt3 really needed?

TBH the only IER car i'm interested in is oreca 07 right now, and since it won't be released ever, no need to bother them more is my guess.

GTD doesn't need an update though? And is 458 gt3 really needed?

TBH the only IER car i'm interested in is oreca 07 right now, and since it won't be released ever, no need to bother them more is my guess.
Technically, there is a mod, the 458 GT3 „Street Legal" version, which is great on its own, but... it isn't the real thing, the actual racecar. But now IER is busy with real life motorsport, so yeah, no need to bother them more

Without being certain there are no flwas with the car, I think people are no longer used to something working well on release :)
Yup. Despite being deeply infused with the scene and knowing it doesn't have any issues, i still searched RD to see if there were any valid complaints about the car. The only valid complaint was a tiny mirror issue, nothing else. I don't get how the car could be updated other than the usual nonsense of "bwaaah csp added this and that please add those features to your car bwaaaah"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back