i7-4790 + GPU enough for VR?

Hi

I am currently running an i7-4790 (non k) with an RX580 4gb, 16gb ram, It does a great job on AC averaging 60fps @ 1080p with nearly all settings maxed out on my single monitor but i am considering going down the VR route and getting a Rift S,. I am hoping that i can stick with my current CPU and upgrade the GPU? i have a budget of £400, any recommendations for a GPU that i can play with decent settings? and will my current CPU be enough? i mostly play AC, PC2 and DR2 but eventually want to try i racing once i get better.

My Rift S arrived a few day's ago and i was absolutely mind blown playing AC in VR for the first time! I really do not think i could go back to a monitor now, The immersion is just next level its insane!

I first fired it up with my RX580 4GB and i was surprised that it was able to play so well on practice mode by my self i could maintain 80fps with most settings on high super sampling on 1 but start adding more than a 3-4 car's to the grind and the RX580 started to struggle and i would have to drop the settings down.

I was expecting to 40fps no matter what setting but was surprised that the RX580 was pretty good if you just wanted to practice alone.

Having now had a taste of VR i decided to pick up a better GPU to tide me over until the next generation of GPU and CPU's arrive, i got a decent deal on a RX5700 and that's given me a solid performance bump over the RX580, Single player practice i can run everything on max with a bit of super sampling and get 80fps all day long, I tried to play with 6-8 Ai on medium to high also and was still getting 80fps.

I still need to play around with the settings though, i tried playing online and picked Nordschleife and couldn't get 80fps no matter what i tried,It turns out that is one of the most cpu/gpu intensive tracks out there and prob the worst one to pick for trying in VR first, i tried another track and it played much better, this was last night, i just woke up again here in the UK and going to try playing online again later, hopefully i can get 80fps on some other tracks even if i have to drop the settings low i don't mind doing that for online play i can stick to the high graphics for practice.

Also any suggestions on where to learn about racing rules? im totally new to sim racing and last night i got vote banned and have no idea what i did wrong in the race, i never crashed into anybody and was just taking it easy just hoping to finish a race, It was actually pretty disheartening as i had been practicing for a long time and felt i was really getting the hang of this, then in my very first race i was super excited to just be a part of it then i get vote banned and no idea why.

Upvote 0
You got voted out without any collisions? Usually, in that case, you're either slow, blocking like crazy, or unpredictable/unaware of your surroundings (other cars). Typically, resulting in others loosing positions, wrecking, or messing up everyone elses' races.

If you're new/slow, be aware of where others are on the track....especially coming up behind you. If fast cars are coming up behind, either move over VERY early. Or stay on-line....don't over-drive, make it easy for them to get around cleanly. On a real track you should always stay on-line...but, some sim racers seem to like you to get out of the way. Regardless of which way you go....be predictable and deliberate. Pick an approach and stick with it...don't waffle/change your mind/weave all over the track. And LIFT as they go by.

Without know more, its hard to provide much other advise.

Upvote 0
You got voted out without any collisions? Usually, in that case, you're either slow, blocking like crazy, or unpredictable/unaware of your surroundings (other cars). Typically, resulting in others loosing positions, wrecking, or messing up everyone elses' races.

If you're new/slow, be aware of where others are on the track....especially coming up behind you. If fast cars are coming up behind, either move over VERY early. Or stay on-line....don't over-drive, make it easy for them to get around cleanly. On a real track you should always stay on-line...but, some sim racers seem to like you to get out of the way. Regardless of which way you go....be predictable and deliberate. Pick an approach and stick with it...don't waffle/change your mind/weave all over the track. And LIFT as they go by.

Without know more, its hard to provide much other advise.

I don't recall what place i was in but i know i wasn't in last place and other than the start i wasn't near any other car's i was trying to catch up for the most point and there were a couple of car's behind me on the track but not close enough to me to overtake, i caught up with one car, overtook them and then around 30 seconds later i see " you have been vote banned or kicked" i was like dam what did i do?

Upvote 0
No idea why i got booted before but iv'e been playing all day today and not being kicked on any server!, Been playing with the settings and got my rift s running nicely at 80hz with around 20 car's on the the track. Got a couple of servers Favorited now.

Absolutely loving this in VR now! i'm able to maintain a solid 80hz for the majority of the time, only times it drops is at the start of a race and in the pits , but its super playable now on mostly medium settings with 1.4 ss. Well Happy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 127 85.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 51 34.5%