i7-4790 + GPU enough for VR?

Hi

I am currently running an i7-4790 (non k) with an RX580 4gb, 16gb ram, It does a great job on AC averaging 60fps @ 1080p with nearly all settings maxed out on my single monitor but i am considering going down the VR route and getting a Rift S,. I am hoping that i can stick with my current CPU and upgrade the GPU? i have a budget of £400, any recommendations for a GPU that i can play with decent settings? and will my current CPU be enough? i mostly play AC, PC2 and DR2 but eventually want to try i racing once i get better.

I have 4790K + 1080Ti and I'm very happy with the performance in Assetto Corsa with CPS and Sol, with no frame drops and the graphics settings set to very high. I must say, however, that I only practice solo, so I'm sure the CPU would definitelly be a problem with a lot of cars on screen at once. With Dirt Rally, it's a different story. The performance with that game is atrocious. I had to reduce all details to the minimum to keep the 80 fps and it looked like a Nintendo 64 game, so I decided to abandon it.

Upvote 0
Thank's for the info, AC is the main game i want to play, i could live with dirt rally on screen for now. I do practice a lot on my own but eventually want to start doing some online multiplayer too. Maybe i will have to upgrade the cpu down the line.

Upvote 0
I haven't played in VR since July of 2019 but I played again yesterday. Even with an 5.1Ghz 9900K and a 1080ti, things still aren't great in online racing in AC, R3E and ACC.

You'r best chance, its to force motion re-projection (half frame-rate) which will alleviate most of the big stutters at the cost of smoothness (its a fair trade off imo), assuming you set most graphics settings to low and don't push too much on the Steam super-sampling.

You'r cpu will be limiting specially in R3E and AC. Depending if you use CPS and SOL, you will then be GPU limited in AC.

Even with my PC and motion reprojection (45fps), AC has framedrops with CPS and SOL in SPA online racing.
ACC improved from last year, but still has that annoying user interface that forces you to go into menus to change the seat position, and of course its blurry as hell.

What I'm trying to say is, dont expect good performance playing online.

Upvote 0
Since I am in the same situation an willing to change motherboard, cpu and ram in a few months, which models (not AMD) would you recommend, with a reasonable price, and considering I may also upgrade my graphic card, maybe next year. As regard cpus, I have seen many new models, but I am a bit confussed, because some of them run at lower frequencies that my current processor.

Upvote 0
Its not a good time to upgrade right now. New CPU's and GPU's are releasing after the summer. A lot of things will change

Upvote 0
Appreciate the replies, i think i am going to wait a while in that case, gives me some more time to save and if New CPU's and GPU's are due to come out hopefully prices of current hardware will come down a little. I can tell i am being a little impatient, things never work out well when i make impatient decisions lol,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My system with an i7 4770 and 1070 handles VR just fine, often on fairly high settings.

I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or am able to be happy with performance not running as high as others have a problem with, but I've rarely had any issues. Granted, I tend to stick to PC2 and Dirt Rally 1 at the moment, though in PC2 I do play against full cpu opponents and some online without problems.

As with anything, your mileage may vary. Good luck, I know how hard it is to have to wait on a hardware upgrade.

Upvote 0
that i7 will bottleneck any GPU which is faster then a 1070, I had the same so I knows. Gained more then double the fps with the 3700x on my 1080ti.

I will 100% be replacing my GPU before getting a new Mobo/cpu/ram etc anyway, so will be interesting to see how it performs with my i7 before i upgrade everything else. More than double the FPS from the CPU upgrade on the same card sounds insane, That's a HUGE bottleneck, i wasn't expecting it to to be that much.I have found a company selling a used 1080ti with 90 day warranty for a good price might pull the plug in the next couple of days as its a good price and i can sell it on when the new cards are released and shouldn't lose much at the price i can get it.

Upvote 0
I will 100% be replacing my GPU before getting a new Mobo/cpu/ram etc anyway, so will be interesting to see how it performs with my i7 before i upgrade everything else. More than double the FPS from the CPU upgrade on the same card sounds insane, That's a HUGE bottleneck, i wasn't expecting it to to be that much.I have found a company selling a used 1080ti with 90 day warranty for a good price might pull the plug in the next couple of days as its a good price and i can sell it on when the new cards are released and shouldn't lose much at the price i can get it.

Yeah I was kinda suprised to tbh, was expecting gaining few fps more but in some games gained double !

Upvote 0
As you can't replace an i7 4770 with a 3700x, this statement is strange.

I upgraded my cpu, if he wants to do the same he need to get a new mobo anyway. I5 8700 or higher needs new mobo as it is diff. socket. Going AMD will mean doing same, new mobo and mem. The advantage of amd is you can put next gen on the 570 boards while with intel next gen will require new socket once again.

Upvote 0
I had a custom loop cooled 4790K and SLI Titan X's. Two years ago I replaced that system with a more simple Ryzen 5 1600x and a 1080ti (the hassle of water cooling and an SLI setup got on my nerves.

The Ryzen setup was on more of a budget as I had to factor in the 1080Ti, so the 1600x was probably a little under-specced.

I went from the Oculus Rift to the Rift S for Project Cars 2. The VR performance on both PC's has been great. I replaced the Rift with the Rift S to get rid of all the tracking stations, and the bump in resolution was really impressive.

Incidentally, my Firestrike benchmarks on the i7 and the Ryzen setup are virtually identical which surprised me, given that the Ryzen 1600x is essentially a budget CPU.

I'm about to build a new setup this week (waiting for the new case to arrive) with the Ryzen 7 3700x on a B450 motherboard, and some 3600 CL14 RAM. Memory speed and tighter timings on Ryzen can also give a boost to FPS, as well as the 3700x benchmarking around a third better than the 1600x so I'm hoping to see some better performance.

My 1600x CPU has been hitting 100% utilisation when I use telemetry software with certain games, even with a mild OC.

I first played Assetto Corsa on a single GTX 660 in VR on the Oculus DK2 with an i5 2500k and that played really well.

Upvote 0
Well i finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Rift S after trying to get one for ages as everywhere here in the uk has been out of stock, Its due to be delivered either today or Monday. So i will be testing it out on my i7-4790 and RX580 4gb, I'm just hoping its playable enough on practice mode with 1 car just so i can see what its like.

Upvote 0
Well i finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Rift S after trying to get one for ages as everywhere here in the uk has been out of stock, Its due to be delivered either today or Monday. So i will be testing it out on my i7-4790 and RX580 4gb, I'm just hoping its playable enough on practice mode with 1 car just so i can see what its like.

Sounds great, I hope it all behaves for you :)

Watching someone on Youtube playing Assetto Corsa with the DK2 got me into sim racing, I'm REALLY BAD at it, but I just love it anyway, specially with VR.

Upvote 0
I have found that you need to speed the bucks on GPU not CPU. I have lowered speed on 3900x to 3200 and it makes no difference in vr with a 2080ti. You are really gpu limited. I have tried Assetto, Iracing and Project cars 2 . Spend on the gpu.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 42 52.5%