"Hydraulic" pedals - pro's / con's

Hi all,

To set the scene first, before the main question :

I'm assembling items at the moment for my upcoming rig build.

I've come from a basic square bar type rig with G29 wheel and pedals (with mods), but have racing background so looking to build a "top end" simulator in the coming weeks and months.

On my list is :

• Sim-Lab.eu P1 rig
  • Sim-Lab floor-standing triple monitor mount
  • Simracingbay 30Nm OSW with Fanatec adaptor (already purchased)
  • Fanatec clubsport wheel (not sure which yet)
  • Pro-Sim H-Shifter and Sequential
  • Pedals....
Now here comes the pedals.

I'm looking of course at the HE Ultimate pedals, but also seen the HPP and the Simtag's also.

The HPP's and Simtag's have the hydraulic element, whereas the HE Ultimate's do not.

From a completely uneducated standpoint, I can believe the hydraulic systems most accurately reproduce a car braking system, but I would be keen on people's inputs of which way to swing on pedal selection.

Is the hydraulic element noticeable, or advantageous, or superfluous?

Thanks, Ben

BenKay my brake build is under 30 USD including the transducer with 1000psi. They are superb choise. Do not hesitate to make'em. That's are real. The rubber mods are all low junk.

They occupy no space at all.

Upvote 0
The market ones do not justify the sum for that parts at all. That's really odd.

Nope just make it on my own. With clutch master cilinder and brake cilinder from drum type brake. Even get rid of that rubber dumphers like the all do with them. Just put the rigid limiters instead of'em.

Upvote 0
The market ones do not justify the sum for that parts at all. That's really odd.

Nope just make it on my own. With clutch master cilinder and brake cilinder from drum type brake. Even get rid of that rubber dumphers like the all do with them. Just put the rigid limiters instead of'em.
do you have a build log or photos of the pedals?

Upvote 0
I have been using the HE's ults. There's no comparing then to the G29 pedals so in comparison with real pedals, the progression, comfort (can use barefoot) and gradual smoothness of the pedal when coming off the brakes (trail braking) is all very well done. This means you can run consistent laptimes over the course of a race. Due to the consistency, you can also start pushing your brake markers forward increments to get faster.

The biggest thing all these pedals are missing is feedback. There's no ABS pulsing, no going numb when locking brakes and so forth. Until that technology is refined and readily available, the HE ult's are more than capable of handling Sim driving duty.

I personally love the throttle on the ults and I think it doesn't get enough credit. It's so smooth and progressive but fast when you need quick movements like driving Senna's old turbo F1 car in AC or micro adjustments in a F1 car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the HE-Pro pedals and am very happy with them. The only thing I changed was to upgrade the clutch to the Ultimate version because I wanted more resistance. I think these pedals provide excellent brake performance, durability and can be adjusted to suit one's preferences very well.

I've read that the hydraulic-brake systems do give a bit more realistic brake-pedal feel but, they also tend to be prone to potential issues with leaks and / or pressure sensor failures so it may be a bit of a trade-off.

I have seen the HPP-pedals in person and they are beautiful. Most who have them sing their praises but, in any case, the leading manufacturers certainly seem to stand behind their products and that's important too.

Upvote 0

I would be keen to see you share this in your own thread covering what you experienced and ended up with...

Upvote 0
I would be keen to see you share this in your own thread covering what you experienced and ended up with...

For the certain thread, whould like to done some sort of thing with it. LIke the H.clutch Hall effect sensor, etc. It's on an adjustment in the moment it self. And a racing video.

But on the whole. A lil jorney to the hardware store can be the one solution to the whole thing for nothing) . U know, we shall bet before that )))

Upvote 0
I used to drive with a Frex motion rig, which had their earlier wheel and V1 pedals with hydraulic brake. To be honest, the pedals were a real pain, always leaking, needed constant maintenance and the crazy way they connected pedals to the pots meant they constantly broke. I now have a cheaper setup, with a Thrustmaster T300 and T3PAs. I don't miss those Frex pedals and don't think it added a great deal, ultimately though I suspect things have come a long way since the Frex but in terms of realism (I used to instruct on trackdays) it still isn't anywhere near the real thing. They also had a really convoluted setup with the pedal pushing bars, springs and rubbers, before the hydraulic circuit in a bid to replicate a caliper - to be honest it felt not a lot different to putting the cone mod in the T3PAs

The Frex system also had a vibration motor on the brake pedal, that just felt weird (like you had warped disks) and was generally disabled.

Upvote 0
Nice rig you are going for.
Thanks.

to be honest it felt not a lot different to putting the cone mod in the T3PAs
The diff exist. As there are motion, and there pressure. As it should be.

The leaks are just should be there issue. Bad quality. It has nothing commong with just becouse it is Hbrakes & HClutches. And a good tighten ups. Mine goes even from fitting to sensor. And that's all right if tighted well.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea