HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
I've got a Rift S but I've been looking to upgrade for a while, so I've just noticed that the G2 is on Amazon for £521 at the moment - which I'm sure is a lot lower than the last time I looked, which makes me wonder if this is for a cheaper/inferior version/model? LINK

Upvote 0
I've got a Rift S but I've been looking to upgrade for a while, so I've just noticed that the G2 is on Amazon for £521 at the moment - which I'm sure is a lot lower than the last time I looked, which makes me wonder if this is for a cheaper/inferior version/model? LINK

That's a great price. I paid £538 for just the HMD minus controllers direct from HP just over a week ago.

The set that you linked is not an inferior version or model but there could be some complications or hoops to jump through with any future warranty claims you might have.

The page states:

Amazon Global Store​

• International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
  • Manufacturer warranty will not apply. Please review Amazon’s return policy, which usually offers free returns within 30 days of receipt.

Upvote 0
That's a great price. I paid £538 for just the HMD minus controllers direct from HP just over a week ago.

The set that you linked is not an inferior version or model but there could be some complications or hoops to jump through with any future warranty claims you might have.

The page states:

Amazon Global Store​

• International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
  • Manufacturer warranty will not apply. Please review Amazon’s return policy, which usually offers free returns within 30 days of receipt.
Thanks, I hadn't read the small print, so that's very interesting. Seriously tempted....

Upvote 0
My G2 seems to be dead. There is no power to the HMD and Windows won't recognize it. I've tried unplugging the cable from the HMD, different USB-ports, powered USB-hub, uninstalling and installing USB-drivers etc. No sign of life at all. I will try to RMA the unit.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that, Chrhun. Hopefully they'll swap the whole unit over for you.

If HP decide that they only want to send you a replacement cable as a first step in the RMA process, you might be able to request the revised cable (Part Number: M52188-001) instead of a straight replacement.

Upvote 0
Did it work at all before? Or just DOA?
I got mine already December 2020 from Bestware. It worked fine in the beginning. The it started to lose contact and not working, I believe this was due to the cable. Finally now it is completely dead.

I'm now in contact with the local HP and they should have a result for me soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm getting the new cable for mine from HP, should be here tomorrow or early next week. I hope that fixes the HMD.
If it has an on/off button then it is the new type and should solve it. If it doesn't have the on/off button then get back on to support quote "EA" (Engineering Advisory) "New 6M Cable" and get them to send you a Rev2 cable

Upvote 0
If it has an on/off button then it is the new type and should solve it. If it doesn't have the on/off button then get back on to support quote "EA" (Engineering Advisory) "New 6M Cable" and get them to send you a Rev2 cable

Sorry if I wasn't completely clear, they specifically told me that it's going to be the Rev2 cable and said that the old cable was not in stock anymore and would not be.

Upvote 0
I recently had a cable replacement for my reverb g2 which sorted out my no power issue, but I think it's a revision 1 cable, so looks like I need to contact them again to get the new revision! It was a major ballache last time and they originally told me it would be November before I would receive my new cable!

Upvote 0
I've had to call HP twice today

1st call: Support advisor had zero idea about the revised cable but would look into it and call me back within an hour. He never did :poop:

2nd call: This guy was completely up to date on the whole situation and after spending about 20 minutes answering questions about which exact components my PC has, he arranged to have a new V2 cable sent out to me by the middle of next week :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I just went to support chat, didn't sound like the person knew about replacement campaign so I had to furnish reddit link. They asked me for the picture or the SN and receipt the next day. Hopefully will get it in the next week or two.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I hadn't read the small print, so that's very interesting. Seriously tempted....
Of course I cannot be sure but I would think that the warranty would not be an issue since HP is an international company.
The price looks very good, especially as it already includes £80 customs deposit, which should mean it's unlikely you would have to pay any more duty on receipt.
(I just bought TLCM pedals the other day for £190 including £33 customs deposit, it came from Spain to UK and there as no more to pay).

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There is small power button on a new break up box, next time you get 14-1, 7-14 error, just turn it on and off. No need to unplug cables or rebooting PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I've had to call HP twice today

1st call: Support advisor had zero idea about the revised cable but would look into it and call me back within an hour. He never did :poop:

2nd call: This guy was completely up to date on the whole situation and after spending about 20 minutes answering questions about which exact components my PC has, he arranged to have a new V2 cable sent out to me by the middle of next week :thumbsup:
Do you mind sharing the article/part number for the v2 cable?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea