HP Reverb died in its sleep

So I didn’t think I’d be online much this summer so I let my iracing subscription expire last spring. Turns out I wasn’t so that was a good decision.

So today I fire up my rig and my HP Reverb G2 headset is dead. No light or image on the headset and windows doesn’t detect any device. The power light on the adapter thingy downstream of the adapter brick (pictured below) is on so power is getting that far but not on the HP logo on the headset’s forehead. So either it’s the crazy expensive headset or the crazy expensive cable. It was working fine in April, warranty expired in May. At least I found out before I renewed iracing….

Any clues? Thanks

Odd. Have you tried completely disconnecting all the hardware from the PC, along with deleting all the software associated with the device. Then connect and reinstall the device and its software.

Odd. Have you tried completely disconnecting all the hardware from the PC, along with deleting all the software associated with the device. Then connect and reinstall the device and its software.
I’ve done the hw part, disconnected and reseated the headset end of cable too. Nothing is recognized when I plug in USB,gfx and turn on power so I haven’t deleted HP drivers (they are original) but I have updated bios and subsequent device drivers. Can’t hurt to delete HP drivers but I’m not hopeful.

I took unit down to computer store and plugged it into one of their demo units and no HP light on the headset and no USB recognition so I think that means it’s dead? Or at least the cable is. It’s got the v2 cable so I don’t think that’s the weak link anymore.

I had an issue with my headset which was related to which USB-C connection I used. If you took the unit to another PC with the same results, that boils it down to either the cable or the headset. The cable would be the least expensive item to replace. Perhaps contact HP and see what they can do in getting you a new cable. Maybe find one on Ebay for cheap.

I had an issue with my headset which was related to which USB-C connection I used. If you took the unit to another PC with the same results, that boils it down to either the cable or the headset. The cable would be the least expensive item to replace. Perhaps contact HP and see what they can do in getting you a new cable. Maybe find one on Ebay for cheap.
Hp support were friendly and we spent a fair bit of time troubleshooting but they weren’t willing to go beyond warranty. They did say the v1 cable issues were primarily with Amd processors and I’ve got a v2 and Intel/nvidia so they didn’t think it was a high probability. A cable is 1/3 of the price of a new unit, I’d bite that bullet if I verified my headset on somebody else’s rig but it’s too much to throw away on spec.

• Deleted member 197115

Don't laugh, but did you check cable connector to headset, it's under face gasket and can get loose.
And try cold PC reboot, I had issues in the past when it was doing something to USB port to stop recognition.

Don't laugh, but did you check cable connector to headset, it's under face gasket and can get loose.
And try cold PC reboot, I had issues in the past when it was doing something to USB port to stop recognition.
Yep reset the headset end a couple of times. Wasn’t keen on doing it ‘cause it seems pretty flimsy But seems seated and the dot lines up where it’s supposed to.

Several cold boots and a bios upgrade.

Last edited:
Just looked on Ebay. The 6m cables have crazy high prices. However, what is the deal with the 1m cables. Don't believe I've seen this these 1m cable with three connectors on one end. Anyway, the 1 meter cables are very cheap (relatively), albeit very short.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.