1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

How to migrate ETS2 to Steam?

Discussion in 'Euro Truck Simulator 2' started by Bram, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I have bought the downloadable version of Euro Truck Simulator 2 at release and at that time the game wasn't out Steam yet.

Is there a way to migrate the game to Steam? If so how would I do that?

2. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

Very simple. Open steam, On the top menu, click games and click activate a product on steam...
    Enter your serial and you're good to go.

3. Indeed Marcel

4. what are advantages to migrate to steam?

5. Well.... automatic updates basically, so you won't have to patch it manually anymore.
    Any other benefits? Beats me!

6. Having it available whenever, on whatever computer, with a click of a button. And random Community stuff.

7. thanks

8. Bram

Bram

This sounds really weird but can i find my serial somewhere in my current game installation?

9. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

I'll have a look...should be logged somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Marcel vd Aa

Marcel vd Aa
    AC Paint Guru

So I found a file that's should contain the serial but it's encrypted...so that's a no go. I'm guessing you don't have the email anymore that you got when you bought the game?

11. Bram

Bram

Nope, to be honest I don't even know where I bought it from lol. This via the ETS2 site. Will shoot them an email. Thanks

12. You can now migrate ETS2 to Steam, all you do is enter the product key as usual into steam and it should work.

13. Bram Hengeveld -

Dont know where you'd find it yourself on your pc but I'm sure its there somewhere - but I guess if you email support@eurotrucksimulator2.com with your activation.scb stored in Documents >Euro Truck Simulator 2, explaining that you DO NOT need activation but the code to put into Steam, which you have lost they should be able to help - unless anyone understands .scb files and can tell you how to open them without publishing to the internet as unless I'm getting it wrong that seems a bit risky with your product code and windows specific data (none personally identifiable) which the .scb file holds.

reference for all the above from reading this page (note - you don't want activation so I didn't use the activation email addy)
    http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/support.php

14. If I might just say, as a person who bought ETS2 on steam... I rely on the non-steam version owners to test the new patches in general and also they are used as a warning when an update will drop so I have time to disable my mods before it updates automatically and breaks my save. :p

So, thank you to the non-steam owners. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bram

Bram

Dave Flower sorry, forgot to report back but eventually I found my old email containing the code. All installed nicely on Steam and this weekend ill be driving the roads of the Europe again :D

16. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

17. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

You could just disable automatic updates for the game, until you are happy to update, then disable it again afterwards. No risk to your mods then.

Right Click on the game in Steam > Select Properties > Updates Tab > Change 'Always keep my game up to date' to 'Do not automatically update this game'

:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I do disable automatic updates for steam games, but for the reason of having limited bandwidth per month at home.

The problem is that Steam tries to update when you launch the game unless you set steam to offline mode. Offline mode does not last forever either.

I actually would not really mind migrating my steam copy to a retail one, but steam is not listing a cd-key for ETS2 like it does for some other games.

19. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

Okey dokey ...... I see your problem now :)