How to match your steering-wheel rotation with the game

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
By default GSC is displaying a 270 degrees wheel animation in game. If you like me are using a 540 degrees setup of your wheel you might want to adjust the game to match the in game steering-wheel animation in cockpit and bonnet view with your wheel.
  1. Go to your controller.ini file, located somewhere like the following path where is X is your game drive: X:\Games\GSC2012\UserData\YourName/controller.ini
  2. Open the file and find the following line of code:
    Code:
    Steering Wheel Range="270" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel
  3. Replace this with the following where 540 is my actual wheel rotation and save the file:
    Code:
    Steering Wheel Range="540" // Degrees of rotation of in-game steering wheel
  4. Reboot your game and the in game animation matches your wheel movement

Will it feel different when you introduce this automatic steering ratio ? Will we be able to choose whether to use automatic function or leave it as it is now ?

I'm asking, because I currently have to use lowered steering sensitivity (15-30%) depending on the car and it's fine like this, but obviously very specific. The stock 50% value is hyper sensitive with my old Sidewinder wheel(ca. 240 deg) I'm currently using.

I just want to know if it's likely that I'll need to readjust and change steering sensitivity to get the same feeling and steering ratio as I do now. Or will there be an option to keep using the current settings ?
Thank you

We´re still developing this so I cannot answer for certain if it will all work as we are planning it, but the idea in your case is for you to set your steering rotation to 240º, and the game will lock the graphical steering wheel rotation to that amount, and adjust default steering lock accordingly. You will still be able to adjust steering lock to get more or less steering ratio for your controller rotation.

It might call for you to review your settings fresh in any case.

Hah! Problem solved! It was my own damn fault for not noticing the speed sensitivity was on! I was pretty sure I had set it to zero, but maybe my configuration was lost somehow. Couple that with coming back to the game after some time, and I was fooled into thinking it was the steering lock (which I only recently started to mess around with) that was to blame.

I suppose the post was not a complete waste of time, tho, if only because we were given the news that automatic rotation adjustment is coming sometime down the line. Cheers!

Thanks again for the response, Reiza! I feel a bit stupid now, but I'm also happy it works perfectly =)

One last question: will the automatic rotation adjustment also mean the steering lock will be automatically adjusted in the setup for a correspondingly reasonable amount, or will it automatically choose an appropriate default setup for each rotation/car/track combo? If not, it would be nice to have some sort of official info table showing recommended settings for each situation (the info in the forums is nice, of course, but could be a bit hard to find for anyone coming from steam).

Hah! Problem solved! It was my own damn fault for not noticing the speed sensitivity was on! I was pretty sure I had set it to zero, but maybe my configuration was lost somehow. Couple that with coming back to the game after some time, and I was fooled into thinking it was the steering lock (which I only recently started to mess around with) that was to blame.

I suppose the post was not a complete waste of time, tho, if only because we were given the news that automatic rotation adjustment is coming sometime down the line. Cheers!

Thanks again for the response, Reiza! I feel a bit stupid now, but I'm also happy it works perfectly =)

One last question: will the automatic rotation adjustment also mean the steering lock will be automatically adjusted in the setup for a correspondingly reasonable amount, or will it automatically choose an appropriate default setup for each rotation/car/track combo? If not, it would be nice to have some sort of official info table showing recommended settings for each situation (the info in the forums is nice, of course, but could be a bit hard to find for anyone coming from steam).

Glad you managed to work it out :)

Auto steering ratio will adjust your default steering lock to suit the car´s actual steering ratio according to your steering rotation setting, but you will still be able to adjust the lock from that default setting. You won´t be able to adjust the steering rotation per car however - so if you drive the kart, it will have 180º rotation max no matter what your setting is.

It should appear more logical once you guys have the chance to try it yourselves :)

That's great, then! No more having to adjust things manually all the time, but still being able to tweak it if desired is perfect. Looking forward to having this functionality added in =)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.