How to: make a track for Assetto Corsa

Hi guys I just joined to find out if there are any details about track making for Assetto Corsa yet, I've had a browse around and it seems the format will be the same/ similar to Netkar.?
Info is very thin on the ground, as are examples / tutorials, all I've manged to find are a few videos in the Italian language, which is not my native tongue, so doesn't explain very much.
Are there any technical breakdown of formats and specifications for the game anywhere, animations, gfx, effects etc? Any detailed workflows from 3DS Max to Netkar ?
I've been modding GP4 for some time now but grown tired of it's graphical limitations, so I've just started researching AC and NKP.
Assetto Corsa looks the real deal with full modding capabilities, so for me wins hands down over PCars, which is a total lockout in all departments.

Any advice would be appreciated.

btw, I have some of Melbourne, and a 80% complete Abu Dhabi, built from scratch by my own fair fingers, so I have plenty of material to work with.

Thanks Lee, Sketchup photomatch looks cool enough to sketch out rough shapes, I'll give it a go, it looks pretty easy to use. I've always liked Sketchup tools for modelling, it's far less work than using Max.

Just about any track....with permissions of course ;)

I've been jigging about with a blender script by Hagn

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-my-blender-addon-current-version-0-0-6.8748/

3ds max to AC via blender and fbx, pretty straight forward really.
I have my own track made with BTB. I install 32 bit 3DS Max 2009 with gmt plugin and import my track in 3DS Max. I forget where i read this, but somone said that if you have old version of Max program, you can't import your track in correct FBX format. I find a convertor, but have no idea how to update this FBX format to open in blender. This is so difficult for me. Hope developers will make some explanation how track structure works.

Yeah confusing as hell isn't it, .I've never had to use a converter, maybe it's all changed since I used 2010, I just installed the latest FBX and export using that, I use Max 2014 now and never had a problem.
What FBX Plug-in version is displayed on your Export dialogue ?..it's down at the bottom in the information rollout.

As far as I can tell you need this one, maybe this is the latest fbx that Max 2009 supports.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/fbx20093_3dsmax2009_win.exe

I have 2010 installed, I'm downloading the converter to see what it actually does, It's hard to see beyond all the corporate bullshit Autodesk spout to find out what it's actually meant to do. :)

Right, the latest FBX plugin version is 2013.3, but AD don't support any version of Max older than 2011...so you need the latest converter to convert anything you input, to version 2013.3

which is this one...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909

The confusion is... it isn't "for" Max 2013, it converts anything you input "to" FBX 2013.3...i think :confused:

You shouldn't have any problem importing FBX to Blender with this.

Let me know how you get on.

r@m

I export my test track and than open in program. What to do now ? Convert it or i need to change some parameters ?

a30a4e0f9e0f.jpg

ce45e6fb83ef.jpg

I'd love to make a track that represents Irish roads, there's a couple of sections of roads around me I'd like to merge together into a fictional road course. I've had a quick go with bobs track builder but I think I'll download blender and start learning it. I have some CAD experience through the years and have used inventor at work. Is blender a difficult program to pick up? The inventor program I used couldn't be easier, it's a bit like google sketch, it's even a bit easier to use than google sketch.

I'd love to make a track that represents Irish roads, there's a couple of sections of roads around me I'd like to merge together into a fictional road course. I've had a quick go with bobs track builder but I think I'll download blender and start learning it. I have some CAD experience through the years and have used inventor at work. Is blender a difficult program to pick up? The inventor program I used couldn't be easier, it's a bit like google sketch, it's even a bit easier to use than google sketch.

What you can do (with using Bobs track builder) use google earth data. (KML/KMZ). So if you have GE, find the road you want, use the create path tool and draw a path line over the road, then save that, import it into BTB and just add the terrain and any objects you want. I made a few fictional tracks (but in real locations) for Rfactor and that always how i did it. Plus if you use BTB you wont have to mess about with uv mapping the road or terrain, it will all be done for you.

Its also possible to snag the road data from things like Open Street Maps and convert that to something you can use to create roads.

You can even do a mix, use BTB to map out just the road as it does the UV mapping and its REALLY easy tools make it a breeze to manipulate the track. Then export that, load it into Blender add all of your fancy objects, terrain and pit box/ start grid info, using that program then export that out for assetto

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back