How to edit existing mod package

Tarmac Terrorist

Paul McCaffrey
Im loving Rfactor 2 at the moment and have just started hosting and its great, I go to the mass utility and put together a package of cars and tracks and off i go an lauch a server for myself and friends, brilliant!

One thing i would like to know is how to edit an existing mod package, for instance:

Ive made a mod package with Formula 2 cars and Zandervoot track. Next day a friend says can we add Barber raceway. Now ive tried to edit the existing package using the edit existing package button in mass utility and added the track Barber raceway, hit package and it seems to add the track, yet when I go to host using the dedicated host button in the laucher the package is selected as normal but when i get to track selection the track ive just added does not show up. So why is this?

Hope you can help

Cheers!

Hey Jimmy,

thanks for all your hard work on the BTCC cars! Can't understand why BTCC isn't one of the most popular series in sim-racing.

I have a quick question. Do you know have any idea why, when I install the BTCC 2019-2024 Skin Pack, I can no longer use a BTCC 'Mod' containing the original s397 cars + tracks? The mod is suddenly recognized as damaged and no longer shows in game. When I uninstall the skin pack, the mod works again. It doesn't matter if I create it before or after the skin pack has been installed.

Do you happen to know of a way around this?

Cheers
Yes, this is sadly a restriction in rFactor 2. Its basically a mod conflict. my update is updating the mod to my custom version number to allow people to use my mod on a server of make custom mod packs for offline use. If the server or mod used my package then there isn't a problem. Maybe one day S397 will approach me and ask if they can consume my work into the master build.

Just a thought, you could go into the installed\vehicles\ folder, grab my 8 team upgrades, uninstall from workshop and use the team files manually against the original mod. Hopefully some of this makes sense but obviously this method you lose when updates come and I lose a subscriber.

Last edited:
No hurry okay :)
Will you update Workshop as well ?
Would make going from manual to workshop or vice a versa consistent.

Yeeha :p
Updated the NGTC mod in the Steam workshop today to fall in line with the Overtake release versions. I have also done my weekly BTCC 2024 update, also released this morning in the Steam workshop.

Fingers crossed this time Durge :)

Last edited:
Yes, this is sadly a restriction in rFactor 2. Its basically a mod conflict. my update is updating the mod to my custom version number to allow people to use my mod on a server of make custom mod packs for offline use. If the server or mod used my package then there isn't a problem. Maybe one day S397 will approach me and ask if they can consume my work into the master build.

Just a thought, you could go into the installed\vehicles\ folder, grab my 8 team upgrades, uninstall from workshop and use the team files manually against the original mod. Hopefully some of this makes sense but obviously this method you lose when updates come and I lose a subscriber.

Oh, that makes total sense. Thanks for the clear explanation. I actually should have been to figure that one out myself, to be honest.

Anyway, it's no big deal. I was just wondering what the cause was.

Thanks again!

Updated the NGTC mod in the Steam workshop today to fall in line with the Overtake release versions. I have also done my weekly BTCC 2024 update, also released this morning in the Steam workshop.

Fingers crossed this time Durge :)

I will totally uninstall manual method, re-sub and test today.
Sure it will be fine.
Now that V6 V3 have overwritten my install it can't revert to V5 V2.
Surely :coffee: lol

Last edited:
Do you happen to know of a way around this?

Cheers

Another example is the new version of IndyCar skin pack uploaded here.

The version on steam I could manually install and pack in a rfmod.
Both All Tracks & Cars and rfmod worked the same.

New version when packed in rfmod will only show the default cars either series.
It does not damage the rfmod per say.
Another example does damage rfmods is Carrera Cup mods.

In example below by packing IndyCar skin pack in a OVGME mod for when I want to use.
I do same for Carrera and a few "damaged" mods or make rfmod have missing content in menu.

There is another way to have more damaged mods.
If you online or make many rfmods you need to clean packages folder regular that contain old versions of content or they will all still be installed taking up heaps of space.
My install the only thing in packages is current rfmods (944kb)

Easiest way for a damaged mod is simply leaving rFactor2 or Mas2 open at the wrong times.
Correct method for updated rfmod imho:
Uninstall all rfmod using old versions of content
Uninstall and/or delete / move old versions
Don't delete old rfmods yet, leave them uninstalled so you can copy from content list into MAS2
Download content update
Install content update
Update or pack new rfmod
Installs okay delete old rfmod and content or archive

P.S. You can see in pic how 4 mods use Targa are not installable.
I have downloaded new version but yet to update the rfmods.
So I uninstall all rfmods use content and uninstall old versions.
However as I manually archive all packages I still have a copy in case, when I absolutely sure that new version is okay I may delete old.

Another good thing with rfmods you can test 2 versions of DLC.
If you don't use rfmods you lost the old versions already and they are not downloadable from anywhere.

Last edited:
Another example is the new version of IndyCar skin pack uploaded here.

Thanks.

For me, rF2 is basically BTCC (with a very few occasional races in other series). I have only a little time for rF and don't like online. I use OVGME extensively for DCS and will try it for rF mods if the need really starts to make itself known.

Anytime I find an rfmod I like, I back it up in a different folder - even the ones which comes from the workshop.

Thanks for the lengthy reply with examples. Appreciate it.

I don't know how anyone uses most rF2 content can handle scrolling opponents lists :alien:
Like I said if you like your rfmods there is only one method to allow updating, mine.

Yes I imagine some are calling bs because they have already made 3- 4 rfmods and can edit them all just by opening MAS2.

Wait till mod 5, 6 or 7 and you go to open MAS2 and it CTDs and corrupts the files :confused:
Good luck with that :coffee: ..... It's not if but when.

rfmod advantages
1. You have content list to use as guide
2. Old versions of content can't be removed by workshop
3. Select individual cars, skins and track layouts
4. Removing All Tracks & Cars ( pack in GME mod for when needed )
You will get faster loading especially if you are always updating content.
5. Series just look neater
6. More manageable opponents lists
7. Test 2 or more versions of same DLC or workshop content
8. Use someone else's rfmod to check against your content and versions

There is more, need coffee. lol

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks