How do you guys have fun while racing proper?

So, I'm relatively new to Sim Racing and I've had my wheel for about 4 weeks now.
But I have a problem. I don't really have fun while racing against somebody else. I love driving around in practice or hotlap mode in my favorite cars and trying my absolute best while trying to set a new personal fastest lap. But as soon as I race against A.I. or other people online, the fun goes away completely. I don't know why, but it feels so empty for me, like it's pointless. Do you guys have any tips and have you had the same problem perhaps?

I don't really understand now.
What do you expect from a race?
Just the start is pure adrenaline.
As soon as the field is organized, you drive in front of you until the opponent comes into view or someone pushes from behind.
This simulation does not have the rubber band principle that ensures that there are always vehicles around you. Give the AI 100% strength and it will be uncatchable for untrained people. That's largely how it is.
Although the rubber band function is now available in the Content Manager.
So you would always have opponents around you with whom you could go into duels.
You can also tweak the AI with additional mods or addons.
The AI has to refuel, change tires, have minor damage repaired or give up.
I would also think about joining a league or financing a private server with a few friends.
AI cannot keep up with humans. Not yet.
I mostly use our server. Sometimes there's someone there, sometimes I'm alone.
The public servers can all be thrown into the trash.

So, I'm relatively new to Sim Racing and I've had my wheel for about 4 weeks now.
But I have a problem. I don't really have fun while racing against somebody else. I love driving around in practice or hotlap mode in my favorite cars and trying my absolute best while trying to set a new personal fastest lap. But as soon as I race against A.I. or other people online, the fun goes away completely. I don't know why, but it feels so empty for me, like it's pointless. Do you guys have any tips and have you had the same problem perhaps?
Sounds like you don't enjoy to compete?
That's totally fine in my opinion! Do whatever is fun for you. There's absolutely no reason to race if you have more fun driving alone.
I drove just for the fun of driving for a few years. Then that felt boring and I wanted to drive with other real people and joined the clubraces here at RD.
Pure adrenaline and nice people.

Do whatever is fun mate, there's no reason to do anything else when driving in the sim :)

The fun in online racing, in organised clubs or leagues (public servers are only good for track day/open world stuff), is the games within the game.

3 main games within the game that don't exist in hotlapping

Strategy- In 1 hour races you have to consider tyres, fuel and when you pit to avoid traffic.

Battles - Defending and overtaking is another game. Reading opponents, their strengths and weaknesses. Launching the car from the grid quickly and safely.

Consistent pace. How much distance can you cover in an hour without crashing vs just going full tilt to do as fast a lap as possible. Knowing how much you can push with how the tyres and fuel are at the time.

There will also be some sort of social side to most racing clubs.

All those things might not be for everyone, but hope that answers the question! Each to their own, I almost never race vs AI or hot lap. Dabble in a bit of Shutoko revival project when I'm too tired for racing stuff. AC had many different roads to go down :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back