How do I get started with VR for iRacing?

Hi All -- I'm considering getting into VR and could use some advice...

I race in iRacing 2-3 hrs / week. Currently using a nice 27" 4k IPS panel that maxes at 60hz. It's positioned super close (12") so I get a 90` FOV. I run at 3840x2160 with graphic settings close to max details
I'm looking for:
-- more immersive experience
-- better awareness of cars / track features beside me (esp. Apexes and traffic around me)
-- smoother visuals (I think/believe that 90+fps will feel smoother than 60fps?)
-- don't give up too many visual details -- needs to feel similarly rich to current setup
-- like to continue using RaceLabs overlays and CrewChief

Existing PC hardware: i7 11700k w/ RTX 3070
Sim Rig Hardware: CSL DD 8Nm with McLaren GT3 wheel and CSL LC pedals and good headset in NLR F-GT-Lite 'cockpit'.

I don't have space for triples so I think I want to try a VR solution.

I'm fairly comfortable with technical tinkering, but I don't want to spend days and weeks tweaking the software settings just to get acceptable performance.

Budget is not unlimited -- I was thinking that HP Reverb G2 v2 sounded promising, but it looks like it's no longer available (aside from sketchy 3rd-party sellers).
So now I'm thinking Quest 2 / Quest 3 is the right entry-level option. Quest Pro is out of my budget for now.

Does this make sense? Are my expectations reasonable/achievable? What would you do?

A Pimax 5K would be great for you because it features a very very large FOV, so it's great for inmersion and awareness. The resolution and image quality are not excellent, but hey, you can't have it all, also considering the graphic card you have. I have that headset and I'm happy with it. It's a big bulky (but comfortable after some mods), the screen door effect is a bit noticiable, the colours are not very vibrant, the contrast does not offer pure blacks and the focus of close objects is a bit off, but I can have very large FOV with constant 90 fps with my 3080 Ti (Assetto Corsa), with very high graphic settings. It's quite similar to my old Oculus Rift S in terms of visuals but with double the field of view. It isn't very expensive either, altough you will need a couple of base stations for the tracking. I will not upgrade to any other headset until I can get the same FOV with more resolution, better contrast and colors and other features that help performance. Another option is the Pimax 8KX, which has more resolution (less screen door effect), but still has the same limitations as regard the screen, and needs much much more computing power to keep the same framerate. If FOV is not a priority and want something less expensive but with good image quality, more straightforward and easier to setup and configure, there are other options such as the ones you mentioned.

Last edited:
I'd only recommend a Quest 2 if you purchased it second hand to see if VR suited you, Then you have the option later of selling for similar money it if you decide to commit further, or ditch it because VR wasn't what you hoped it would be.

A 3070 will run a Quest 2 in Iracing well enough.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.