Hoping this is not a sign of things to come

Like most other virtual racers I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa and purchased it the day it was released. I was stunned by how polished it was as an alpha/beta/early access game and enjoyed not only the superb visuals but the crisp believable handling of the cars as I threw them around the laser scanned tracks. As each week went by I looked forward to the next batch of fortnightly content and was happy to see each new car and track was crafted as well as the last. Not even the silly bickering on the Steam forums over whose game was better could dull my enthusiasm or the banal criticism’s by the console gamers because you couldn’t ‘pimp’ your car with gaudy body-kits like Forza Motorsport or that the game didn’t already have 1000 cars like Gran Turismo. Each new announcement via their web-site or Facebook page brought more excitement – a new manufacturer license, a laser scanned Nordschleife – the future looks bright…

Then it happened. The first quick and dirty conversion quite literally ripped from another game. News spread and this track suddenly became the hot topic, the ‘must have’ despite it being taken warts-and-all from a game released nearly 10 years ago. Rather than herald this new ‘mod’ it left me despairing for the racing sim community. While many virtual racers and racing simulation sites rightly shunned discussion of this ‘rip’ there were many more making asinine excuses for the author essentially taking this work without permission and grafting it into a new sim. Theft is theft no matter if you ‘get away with it’ or not or even that you give it away freely. It reminded me of rFactor and how when it was released it showed so much promise. For months we saw 3d meshes being shown by talented mod makers working their magic on new cars and tracks made from scratch.

It all seemed so exciting and then conversion tools reared their ugly heads. All of a sudden sites like rFactor Central were awash with poorly ripped work from Grand Prix Legends, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 4 among others. Far from pushing the genre forward it felt like we were now going backwards. The same racers who argued over the radius of a hairpin in Simbin’s rendition of Macau were suddenly silent when rFactor became awash with low poly conversions of 10 year old games complete with poorly defined racing surfaces, low resolution textures and cardboard cut-out tree’s and track side objects which screamed ‘FAKE’ as you sped past them. Questionably legal content appeared and then disappeared from the net as lawyers and mod makers played cat and mouse.

Is this really where we want to go with Assetto Corsa? - A step backwards porting generations old content complete with all their imperfections into a next gen simulation? There was a ‘gold rush’ in rFactor when the conversion tools appeared to be ‘the first’ to bring a popular track to rFactor, be it Spa or Brands Hatch for example so why would someone spend time carefully building a track from scratch when others are just ripping it from another game and fudging it into this new sim. Have our expectations really been lowered so far that we’d accept the grave robbing zombification of old content like this?

OK MS then lol!

But my point is that they can if they want to, and they would then have the might and lawyers to do pretty much all they want against individuals and websites (like RD if anything ever slipped by) and you nor i could do anything to stop them, we certainly can't afford to defend ourselves against them, so why put yourself in a situation like that?

Well i was just saying. Why would they come for us when others have been doing it for years undisturbed.:confused:

Im a World of Tanks player and it's EULA says the same. But it's only there just in case. The Wargaming devs (aprox 1000 people all over the world) fully support modding of their game, including ripped stuff (movies voice overs, other games tanks models, characters 3d models etc.) They even allow people to use their tank models freely, without permission in Garry's mod. They dont care. It's modding community is HUGE.

Yeah i know this "****"game too well......all damn cheatermods should get banned out of the game and goldammo of course first :)

Pirate Bay is HUGE as well. Still doesn't justify piracy.

Also no reason to do it.

Scumbags in my area are stealing cars for years. Can i do it as well now because they are never caught?

Pirate Bay is HUGE as well. Still doesn't justify piracy.

Also no reason to do it.

Scumbags in my area are stealing cars for years. Can i do it as well now because they are never caught?

Sorry but your comparison is way off. When stealing cars we know police will try to find the robbers and sentence them. It's logic.

But Microsoft doesnt seem to care. I explained why already. Dozens of websites hosting forza stuff are well and alive. Ever since Forza 1. Thats 2005. This is one example. Looking at Virtualr and Kegetys website. The Joux Plane conversion is still there. Guess Square Enix doesnt care either.

Last edited:
Since when was this discussion about Microsoft? Its about ripping content from other games that is wrong.

If Microsoft doesn't take legal action against those "dozens of websites" thats up to them.

We know for a fact that smaller publishers/developers in our sim racing niche do get affected by piracy a lot and for the sake of sim racing as a whole that needs to end.

There is this myth that sim racing developers are at work playing games all day, driving Ferrari's and other sportscars when they commute and live in mansions that are bigger than that of Hugh Hefner but reality is often a "bit different".

When you "rip" you don't support, and if you don't support those that give us our fantastic hobby than you aren't worth to be called a sim racer in my opinion but a pesky pirate.

For some reason I start to hope that at some point you get affected by this phenomenon at your real life day jobs. Whether thats a colleague taking your work and getting the credits of the boss or that people take all your goods from your local store where you work 24/7 to make a living. See how you react then. :)

I would hope there is something Kunos can do to prevent rips, however even encryption doesn't last forever and is nearly always crackable.

I think the only things people can do is that reputable websites need to have a firm code of conduct (which most already do).

When you "rip" you don't support, and if you don't support those that give us our fantastic hobby than you aren't worth to be called a sim racer in my opinion but a pesky pirate.

What do you mean when you rip you dont support? thought supporting the devs means BUYING THE GAME. What has to do ripping a model with supporting the devs?:confused: i buy the game, i support the devs. If rip a model i un-support the game? isnt my money supporting the devs?

Pursuing legal action against violators costs companies (All of us) time, money and precious resources. What amazes me is that those who defend or rationalize stealing property from others don't understand that products and services cost everyone more in order to cover losses caused by theft. Just take a look at the insurance industry to get a picture of how fraud affects all of us everyday. It all ends up being colossal waste of time and a vicious cycle of frustration for everyone in the end - sorta like this thread. Theft and fraud are a form of cancer to society and anyone with an ounce of intelligence should be able to understand that.

What do you mean when you rip you dont support? thought supporting the devs means BUYING THE GAME. What has to do ripping a model with supporting the devs?:confused: i buy the game, i support the devs. If rip a model i un-support the game? isnt my money supporting the devs?
Thats the whole point of this discussion. If you own two games, you can port whatever you want to one of those games and you won't hear anybody complain as long as you don't share it with others. Do whatever pleases you with your private mod, nobody cares or has a problem with it as long as you keep it for yourself.

The problem is with those that don't own those copies and get "free" content that should have been paid for.

The only way I can see things like tracks getting ripped is if there was a gap in the track data which had to be downloaded every time you played it. So every time you loaded the track the game would have to go off to a server to download portion 136 out of 2000 or something like that. Basically that would mean that the full track was never on someones hard drive to rip the whole thing.

The problem is with those that don't own those copies and get "free" content that should have been paid for.

So you say if someone ports uhmmmmm AMG Vision GT model from GT6 to AC, that means Sony lost a potential GT6 customer? and basically if i wanted to play Joux Plane i would have had to buy RBR, but if was ported to AC, now i wont want to buy RBR anymore?

I would hope there is something Kunos can do to prevent rips, however even encryption doesn't last forever and is nearly always crackable.

I think the only things people can do is that reputable websites need to have a firm code of conduct (which most already do).

the only thing they can do is strenghten steamupdates and multiplayersecurity....2 things together and every leecher will stop playing it cause of weekly/2weekly full new rip and crack or stay at singleplayer. only a small part of leechers are notorious....most want check a game since there are almost no demos and full bugged releases.

Pursuing legal action against violators costs companies (All of us) time, money and precious resources. What amazes me is that those who defend or rationalize stealing property from others don't understand that products and services cost everyone more in order to cover losses caused by theft. Just take a look at the insurance industry to get a picture of how fraud affects all of us everyday. It all ends up being colossal waste of time and a vicious cycle of frustration for everyone in the end - sorta like this thread. Theft and fraud are a form of cancer to society and anyone with an ounce of intelligence should be able to understand that.

its just a huge business where people make massive money.
Its like we are so many humans today that everyone can just work sparetime/halfday with nice income for a familiy but what says industry? No you even must work harder or you also get replaced by a machine and get unemployed and lifesupport from caritas to feed your children.

Is it a hobby of yourself to pick just some random text out of a message so it fits yourself? why you didnt read what racenut said? then you will figure out in what context my statement stands for.......
I did but i thought we were discussing sim racing here. Apologies if your comments were aimed at the insurance business instead.

Agree on that.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea