• So long as all your wheels are pointing in roughly the same direction, you should be fine.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Hesitation when player joins server

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Nobkins, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nobkins

Nobkins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +954
    I get a hesitation when a player joins server. If middle of a corner then outcome is not good. Is this normal? Can i reduce or prevent it?

2. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    A legend in my own mind... Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,227
    I don't experience this issue myself, but I've heard it mentioned on TS a few times so you're definitely not the only one. At a guess I'd say it's the game loading the livery of the person joining, but I don't know of any potential fix. It's not a drive speed issue as I just have regular 7200rpm hard drives.

3. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,625
    It's strange, only some get it, so it must be a RaceRoom server/internet connection issue.
    Fortunately people can't join during a race, but yes it is annoying if it effects you.
    Mind you last year everybody got it whenever someone joined so there's been an improvement.

4. Nobkins

Nobkins
    Premium

Ratings:
    +954
    Ok thanks for the info. Was on a public server last night so might not happen next time.

5. slingshot64

slingshot64
    Premium

Ratings:
    +120
    Has happened on most sims i have used from rf1 days only place i never got it was on IR.
    The worse time for it to happen is when during a race people quit the server (maybe crashed and wrecked the car or something) and that short hesitation can cause others to have a problem esp when in a close fight.

6. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,227
    Another good reason for people not to quit when they have a bad day, then. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,596
    I get this issue sometimes and while it's just a microstutter in my case, it can be annoying, yep. Thankfully this mostly happens during practice or qualification. And yes, I think it only ever happened to me on public servers, not on RD servers :thumbsup:

8. dabr1965

dabr1965
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3
    Had it happen to me today on a public server. People entering and leaving the server.

9. HabUK

HabUK
    Premium

Ratings:
    +65
    This was happening to me last night on the RD server.

10. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,596
    Yeah, I've had it happen to me on RD servers as well in the meantime. Ruined a qualification lap for me once as well.

11. natedogg1867

natedogg1867

Ratings:
    +244
    This "join lag" has been around forever in RR. It happens because, when a new player joins, the game has the load the new car model + livery + whatever else if it isnt already being used on the server. So, there is a moment of lag while everything syncs up. Basically put.

This has been improved a lot since the early days, but likely wont ever fully go away. As pre-loading every possible car/livery combo would mean the loading times would be astronomical, and this is highly unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,227
    Well, as long as it isn't happening during actual races (you can't join once the race starts) then it's only a minor annoyance really.

13. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,596
    Problem is, it can sometimes happen even as the player is leaving. Which technically shouldn't happen during RD races, but in reality it does.

14. Vitor M Sousa

Vitor M Sousa
    Premium

Ratings:
    +293
    To me this happens also during the race when a fast lap is shown. Not always.

Also seen a car going forward as this happened a couple of times, as if the server was syncing us.

15. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,596
    It probably depends on your ping to the server at the moment as well.

16. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,625
    I've never had it happen when someone leaves a race and lately not when they join either. I think as Case_ says it must be an individual thing.

17. Vitor M Sousa

Vitor M Sousa
    Premium

Ratings:
    +293
    Don't have this type of issue with nothing else. And I have a 100down/100Up Internet, so don't see how that can be an issue.

How can I see my ping in game?

18. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,227
    I think the stutter is being caused by cars being loaded, so it probably has more to do with people's PC's than their internet connection. I'm not necessarily talking specs, but for example if you have a badly fragmented HDD it could slow the loading time and cause the stutter.

19. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,596
    I don't think you can. You can see your ping to the server in the connection screen, but once you join, only others can see it, I believe.

20. Vitor M Sousa

Vitor M Sousa
    Premium

Ratings:
    +293
    Not only that. Whenin race and I see the stutter on the game displaying the fastest lap overlay. It's weird. I'm interested in investing in this game, but this is putting me off at the moment. I've only tried public lobies though.