A asus am3+ motherboard
8 gb of ddr 3 ram
650w ocz pst
120gig scandisk ssd
2 tb sata hard drive
A nvidia gtx570gtx graphics card I think
A amd FX 6100 cpu 6 cores running at 3.3ghz standard
A H80 cooling kit

My question is I have clocked the cpu a little up to 3.6ghz bt cnt get any more, so im thinking of changing and cpu to the fx 6300 because its a 6 core cpu 3.5 bt u cn easily clock it to 5.5ghz no problem, is it worth getting that cpu or the top 8 core fx cpu the FX. 8350, I do sum gameing bt nt at HD setting yet bt I wil when I get a new HD Monitor

Any advice u cn give me wud be great thanks

From Russell

What board is your Asus? Can it increase voltages? I'd look there first as maybe it's not supplying enough volts to maintain an overclock more than 3.6GHZ. Also, check the memory is running default speeds and voltages (normally 1.5V for ddr3 1333Mhz upto 1.65V for 1600MHz.)

Remember to do everything slowly, one step at a time. I wouldn't recommend pushing more than 1.4V on your CPU, you should be able to get 4.0GHz with 1.36-1.37V (I had an FX8150 that would do this) but all CPU's are different. Once you get a stable over clock keep load temps down (below 62˚C) and see what you can reduce your CPU voltage to whilst maintaining stability.

I only mention this as some older AM3+ don't support Steamroller officially so you might end up having to buy a new board as well and you should be able to push that FX6100 further.

Pretty good guide here
http://www.overclock.net/t/1310387/step-by-step-amd-fx-6100-oc-guide-help

and here
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyt...caling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming.html
Hope that helps

My first question would be why do you need more speed on the CPU? I see that you said you do some gaming, is that the reason that you want to increase the speed? As Simon mentioned, changing voltage to the CPU might allow for a higher overclock. I do have to disagree with him on the ram voltage and stuff though. In order to get the most out of an overclock you might have to increase voltage to the ram in order to keep things running stable. You may also have to increase it to the chipset.

There are a number of things that need to be done to ensure a stable overclock and get the most out of the CPU. If you don't know already, do your homework and learn how to adjust things in the BIOS that need to be adjusted. Find out what VCC and other settings mean and what they will affect if you change things for them. Making changes without knowing what you are doing can be dangerous to your hardware and can cause premature failure of several components in the system.

As to upgrading the CPU, go to the manufacturer's site and look up the board and find out what CPU's it will support.There is usually a long list of CPU's for each board they have produced. It is possible that you might have to flash the BIOS in order to handle certain CPU's.

Don't start an overclock thinking that you should be able to achieve anything as all CPU's have different limits as well as all systems. It is possible that you are running near the limit of your CPU, but you might not be.

In response I have done overclocking bfore and the current cpu I have I have read on the internet that people cn hit over 4ghz with this cpu, and its a fairly new ASUS Board its model number M5 A97 PRO. So the board wil take all the new cpus fr that socket.

You are certainly welcome to try and go for 4Ghz on the CPU, but it is likely that you either won't make it that high, or will have to do a lot of tweaking with voltages and timings in order to achieve it. Then again, you might be one of the lucky ones who has found one that is very easy to achieve higher performance out of. :)

I have always been of the mind that it is better to spend your money on the faster CPU before worrying about trying to overclock due to warranty and things like that. With that in mind, I would obviously recommend the faster CPU. If your able to overclock it and get more out of it, all the better.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back