Have Your Say: Can You Sim Race Competitively With a Controller?

I use a xbox pad, 99% of the time. And i think its competetive ofc sometimes you miss some precision, But being able to go full lock to lock in a split second has its advantages to ;) .
And i dont feel like some cars are undriveable yes a exige feels twitchy in AC but yeah not "too much" Reason for using a controller is im a lazy bum, Setting up the wheel everytime is sooooooo anoying, My flimsy table cant handle the FFB LOL, The pedals wont stay in place, I would use the wheel if i had a fixed setup with a decent seat etc.

I do not race competitively, but i enjoy racing offline. I started with only a keyboard. My son bought me an XBox 1 controller a year ago and i love it. I may not be as good as a "wheel" driver but I am sure I would be competitive. Bottom line, its all i need to have great fun.

PS. RaceSims I drive are Assetto Corsa, Project Cars2, RaceRoom Experience, Automobilsta , Rfactor 2 and F12016

Last edited:
Well, I am pretty broke rn and need money for other, more important stuff, so I can't get a wheel.
I've tried driving with a wheel, and I can say it is more fun and it is much more easier to correct slides (it is really easy to overcorrect with a gamepad) but I've kind of gotten use to driving with the gamepad and it seems pretty doable.
Maybe I can't really compete with the wheel racers but it is still pretty fun.

P.S. Sponsor me a wheel? Please? :(

Everything is possible, the difference between a wheel and a controller in the end is just that a gamepad joystick can physically turn maybe 90 degrees left/right (? i have no idea) while a wheel can do 900 degrees or more, so with a joystick you need to have a different steering gamma and it's not just direct steering, so you have a disadvantage. Same applies to brake and gas pedals, with the addition that you cannot use your feet on a gamepad (anybody tried yet?) On the other hand you can adapt to anything and be fast, it's probably just more challenging.
The real point is that being AC etc "simracing" games one maybe tends to simulate as closely as possible a real driving action, so getting a wheel seems a no-brainer to me.

Ok, anyone saying it's not possible, and impossible to race in a close pack of cars or for extended periods of time, like endurance races, you're wrong.

I'm so we'll versed with a pad that I will challenge anyone to try and discern if I am using my pad or wheel. Any sim, I have them all, any car or track providing I'm allowed to practice with the combo first .

Last edited:
You can and i've seen it done. I have a friend (and often team mate) who raced at the top level (including 2hr to 24hr endurance events) for a couple of seasons with an X-Box controller because he couldn't afford a wheel. When he eventually got a one, he didn't get any quicker. Maybe a touch more consistent but only marginally.

No question a wheel helps the immersion but in terms of competitive driving it all depends on the individual. I completely suck with a pad but some people are uber fast.

Is it possible to sim race competitively with a gaming controller?
Yes, it's definitely possible. But it requires some dedication to the cause ^^
The hardest thing, at least from my point of view, is to learn how to brake with cars that don't have ABS. That needs practice.
And, regarding lap times, with some commitment you may also achieve WRs :D

Would not be a huge problem if every game had perfect pad implementation like Forza. Perfect for smooth steering to not ruin your tires and perfect vibration feedback to be able to drive without abs, tcs...

I use a pad simply because:

• I can't afford a proper racing setup. I don't live in US or Europe. My country has ridiculously high import taxes and volatile inflation. Our currency is so devalued. We spend way more money to buy anything compared to everyone else in the world. F*****g ridiculous.
  • Even if I could afford it, I do not have the physical space for it. I would need to remove structural parts of the big, ancient piece of furniture my PC is on -not a regular desk- to make space for the pedals alone. Months ago I posted here a picture of my PC: https://i.imgur.com/3PdRsie.jpg
I would love to have a wheel and pedals, though. Driving with an emulated PS4 pad is annoying and kinda painful at times. Maybe I should try an Xbox pad, everyone here seems to talk marvels about it.

I remember having an N64 with one of the F1 titles of the day and wanted a wheel - even though I had limited money working as an apprentice purchased said wheel. I was immediately slower and was annoyed that I had spent all my money on a pile of junk as it was just made from plastic

Since then, circa 6 years ago still using a controller I purchased RF2 then AC and given the 'simulation' again thought hmmm need a wheel so purchased a G27 and a Playseat Challenge. Again similar fate, I recall being low 2:20's around Spa in the Ferrari GT2 in AC but with the wheel struggled to get mid 20's.

However, with perseverance and a lot of practice/upgrade to a T300 wheel / T3PA pedals I would never use a controller for a racing simulator. For consistency during a race lap after lap is where a wheel/pedals comes into it's own.

I still use a controller for arcade games like Pcars 2, but when it comes to proper sims always use my T300.

I wonder where all the joystick-warriors went. I remember when I started simracing 14-15 years ago that quite a few people at the top were joystick-warriors. That was what I started with as well when I was 8-9 years old, using a joystick. I never managed to do any useful stuff with it in any games except GP3 (due to the aids provided there).
However, I haven't heard about a single joystick-warrior in years. It's either wheel or gamepads with the random keyboard or mouse thrown in now and then.

I honestly miss my joystick!
124604_detail.jpg

Some people with the very best hardware, still could be rather average at Sim racing, of course..

That's not to say some hardware can improve their lap times or consistency but someone with exceptional skills and a DF GT may still be a better or more competitive racer.

I'm not sure, how many race with the main focus on to be competitive but instead get into or follow "Sim Racing" or spend so much on it simply because they "ENJOY" it.

Of course it's possible, and nothing wrong with choice as long as it sustains the hobby but I just rather not think about getting my butt kicked by someone with a hand held controller.;)

Whether or not you can be competitive - and in fact fast as hell - with gamepads, or not, has already been positively answered: by those demonstrating that they are.

However, the feeling is totally different from using pedals and a FFB wheel, and so is the immersion.

Also, gamepad control is not the same like gamepad control. Using the mini-joysticks , the cursor keys, or PS4's motion control, are three very different things. The motion control in GT Sports work very well, btw. I was absolutely surprised by how well it works.

But a racing simulation without wheel is like a dogfight simulator flown via keyboard only: you get time passing a bit faster, yes - but does it really make sense regarding simulating the experience? I think not.

AC and RR user here, with Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 and CSPv3.

I was able to do some very good hotlaps in pcars 1 with my Xbox 360/one pads and some nice races too but in all honesty I just can't imagine to catch a slide while drifting over kerbs because you are dodging someone and maybe got a little tab in top of it.
I talk about situations when it's already very very difficult with a wheel and you are correcting over a distance of 70+ m until you finally gain control again.
Just impossible for me with a pad. Simply impossible! Without aids of course.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back