Have Your Say: Are Graphics Important?

As you can see, I don't speak English very well. So, I just said Pcars have not the same gamers target as Rf2, R3e, AMS or AC. What's the nonsense ?

As defined in English dictionaries Pcars is a simulation.

Arcade is not simulation, no relationship between those words at all, in fact I'd argue that most meanings of those words put them diametrically opposed (opposite ends of a scale).

Pcars was criticised by many in the mass market casual crowd for being too hard. So what is you point about PC2 being easy all about? I'm presuming this means you are one of those "types" that think if a car is easy to drive it's "arcade"......you do realise every single real racer has debunked that theory over and over again? I'll take what the real racers say over armchair racers everytime. And no, a bit of low level real motorsport experience doesn't really count as people from that background have vastly differing opinions.

Do you honestly think that comparing PCars more towards stuff like Outrun and Mario Kart is justifiable? You may not personally get on with how Pcars feels but it most certainly simulates reality. I think you need to understand the term "arcade" a lot more.

I think you need to understand the term "arcade" a lot more.

arcade
ɑːˈkeɪd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a covered passage with arches along one or both sides.
    synonyms: gallery, colonnade, cloister, loggia, portico, forum, peristyle, stoa
    "they walked on, past a classical arcade"

You may not personally get on with how Pcars feels but it most certainly simulates reality. I think you need to understand the term "arcade" a lot more.
500 hours to play Pcars before taste AMS, Rf2, R3E and AC. In comparaison with these, Pcars seems like an arcade game. No physics, no sensation. That is not a criticism but a statement. I had really fun with Pcars (500hrs), graphics are amazing but that not a pure simu. Most people in RD are no longerwilling to play along Pcars. Pcars is not even proposed for the RD open races.

may be i can explain my point in a way everyone can understand me :p. We all can love beautiful sexy girls (graphics), BUT if she doesnt know how to move in bed (physics, tyre model, ..), WTF!, get out of my cave I will go with the not so looking good wild girlnextdoor!!! . Ok thats all folks! :p

Last edited:
I think the correlation between graphics and gameplay and feel are a very hard one to master.

I played RF2 again recently and was horrified by how awful it looked, from the menu's to the actual in game graphics. The gameplay might be very good for some (not me sadly) but the graphics have not really moved on much from many years ago.

AC is a good compromise I think, the graphics are nice without being flash, but it is a nice place to be, the menus are OK without being exceptional and it looks, new, clean and modern.

PCARS put a premium on graphics, it was the way it was marketed, with stunning screenshots and video. And some very nice cars to showcase that. And of course the weather, which was a big selling point for a lot of people. When in fact, for me racing in the rain is a thing I would look at doing only in a career mode or as a one off, if you are doing it online, it becomes tiresome, and invariably a crash fest!

There is space for all of it, PCARS is clearly aimed at a console market primarily, but from what I have seen the new game is starting to edge towards PC users aswell, but I will wait and see reviews from valued people.

But they need to be careful and make it not to simmy for the console market, as they might end up making RBR!!

Last edited:
Obvious there are different opinions on what good graphics means?
For me rF2 and Gtr2 are/can be better looking than most other due to dynamic lighting and weather.
When people are saying that AC got good/ great graphics I just wonder if I got a different version of AC
The AC graphics are stall to me it looks boring after a few minutes.
Sure the cars and cockpits looks great if you like the highly polished look.
Not sure why the asphalt on the tracks have to be highly polished too? Is that what people call great graphics?
For me Rf2 despite it's inconsistency in DX11 got the best graphics at the moment!
PCars might have better graphics but I uninstalled it a while ago so can't compare.

This is all my opinion, I mean no offence to fanboys of any given sim. I own all the sims from iceracing to Forza across multiple platforms.

Good GFX are important just like good physics and audio. However I lean more towards VR support. After good physics (driving feel).

PC has excellent VR support sexy GFX yet lifeless in the driving department I have raced over 90 hours.

iracing mediocre GFX good audio and a little more lively yet overall poor driving feel (physics). Cars never really feel connected to the road. iceracing account for over 5 years.

I own a 2016 MX-5 and have driven at my local croft circuit numerous times and have never spun going left at 45 mph like I do in iceracing.

Assetto Corsa current go to sim medicore GFX, driving feel almost spot on VR support top notch. over 400 hours. Best hot lap sim in the market.

as I say my opinion. ;-)

500 hours to play Pcars before taste AMS, Rf2, R3E and AC. In comparaison with these, Pcars seems like an arcade game. No physics, no sensation. That is not a criticism but a statement. I had really fun with Pcars (500hrs), graphics are amazing but that not a pure simu. Most people in RD are no longerwilling to play along Pcars. Pcars is not even proposed for the RD open races.

Irrelevant what you "think" PCars is not arcade, end of story, try to understand the meaning of the word. You may not think the physics are up to the same level of another game, that's fair enough but that does not make Pcars "arcade".

The people at RD are not the ones who decide what a word means or not.

this is getting off topic, we'll never agreeI I said my piece, you have said yours.

arcade
ɑːˈkeɪd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a covered passage with arches along one or both sides.
    synonyms: gallery, colonnade, cloister, loggia, portico, forum, peristyle, stoa
    "they walked on, past a classical arcade"
Oh we have a joker in our midst! ;)

edit...and Pcars is non of that so thus not arcade!! 11111oneoneone ;)

View attachment 211555
Sim racers often say the thrill of virtual racing is in the on track experience, but how much importance should be placed on graphics in modern racing games?

Often we find a racing title has either one or the other - great graphics and poor physics, or less than ideal visuals and a sublime experience behind the wheel. Now that we are in 2017 and technology ever improves in game development, exactly how much importance should be placed on the visual experience of a racing title, and does lesser quality graphical presentation of a game break immersion when in the throws of a racing situation?

So for today the question is this -

How much importance should be placed on graphics in a racing simulation, and do below par visuals have a negative impact on the gaming experience?

Have fun debating and leave a comment below!
I still play F1 Challenge 99-02, so here's a perfect example. F1 2013 looks much nicer than F1C, but it's what I call a arcade-simulation - part arcade racer / part sim. I'd prefer the full sim experience as in F1C, even if it means less impressive visuals. What's the use in looking like Assetto Corsa if it drives like NFSU?

Not so much, I just believe if you are going to spout of about definitions of words and people in ability to understand them then you should be able to relate that back to a credible reference.

Hence, I pointed you in the right direction. The problem for you and the point that undermines your entire argument is that the definition you are trying to hold up as legitimate doesn't exist within the Englich catalogues of definitions.

Aside from that, its entirely possible for something to have characteristics from multiple points on a spectrum, even opposite ends of as spectrum (that is if you can agree if a spectrum has an end point in the first place, Personally I think they can go on into infinity,)

Having grown up with Indycar Racing, I will readily handle fairly crappy graphics, as long as the physics are the best that are around. In recent times, most significantly the advent of Steam, the old problem of developers choosing either graphics or physics no longer applies. Developers aren't limited by the space available on the disk that they are selling in a store.

Now, profitability is the primary concern. Eye candy packed with crap physics (Gran Turismo) and lots of stupid modifications are going to sell best. Teenagers buy the most games.

For those of us who are true sim junkies, we get bugs, ok-ish graphics and no goddamn rain (assetto corsa). Totally and utterly worth it. Especially when they compensate the limitations of their platform with 70th anniversary Ferrari DLC's that include cars like the 250 GTO. The way that thing floats around high speed stuff is glorious.

I will take bugs and crap graphics all day long for a game that nails the feel of cross-ply tires.

Irrelevant what you "think" PCars is not arcade, end of story, try to understand the meaning of the word. You may not think the physics are up to the same level of another game, that's fair enough but that does not make Pcars "arcade".

The people at RD are not the ones who decide what a word means or not.

this is getting off topic, we'll never agreeI I said my piece, you have said yours.
OK not arcade, lets say.....LESS real than the other options? You dont feel nothing appart the amazing graphics thats not sim....may be landsape simulator...I have it and i dont play it, a shame cuz it has so much content but no physics no tyre feeling ....no reason to play for me bro.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back