Have Your Say – Missing Features in Sim Racing

It would be cool to see some stuff similar to Live For Speed. The ability to driver out of the pits and line up manually on the grid, then finish up with a cooldown lap and bring it back into the pits.

Well that would be a long long list,
  • real time done aero dynamics from the 3D model, not these simple prebaked LUTs

Forgive me if it's not the case, but, as far as I'm aware, the resources needed to do this with any sort of accuracy most likely far and away exceeds anything that you, I, or any other consumer have access to.

Generating a physics rule-set based on a CFD run with the model (or multiple runs; one for 'clean' air, one for 'dirty', one 50/50) maybe yes.......but in real time (once per frame, so anything from 60+ times per second onwards).....unlikely to say the least.

I just want games that feels more like a racing game that simulates more of the aspects outside the actual racing where games like F1 and Dirt Rally/Dirt 4 did well in the career. I also like some race specific feature such as the safety car feature in some games like F1/AMS, the live track feature in Pcars 2 or crashed out competitiors in Dirt 4. These events gives the race more dynamic feel to it where a lot of old games feels really static.

there's still lot of things that could be improved

it would be nice to do more damage to the environment around you, crashing into armco would actually deform it :) and marshalls could be fixing it later on :)

tow trucks for crashed cars, towing them to pits for repair ( endurance races) or some pit parking area
marshalls pushing car out of gravel traps
more life to tracks, like people walking around. in every racing game I know, people are just standing, they are moving in some but they never actually walk around

to name a few

A proper damage model. Going off with ~300kmh and hitting the wall? Aw man, your chassis has a scratch now. I mean wtf?

Sure you notice that something is damaged, car might handle bad or your engine might've died forcing a retirement, but you barely see a thing. In the same regard I'd also expect tyre wall or safer barriers to deform. Or if it's the old form of the former, to have some of the tyres flying around. Crashes then causing debris on track (depending on the location of the crash), which might see you picking up a puncture.

Random technical failures is another thing. If I for example do a race with 70s F1 cars, I'd expect for about half of the grid to run into problems throughout the race. Engine failures, gearbox issues etc. Give the option to turn it off if people don't want it for online races.

The biggest lack in "sim" racing games since a very long time (in fact from the very beginning !) is at least one good engineer beside us to help setting the car.

Great to be able to set everything but... how many people spend time analysing effect of any tiny change to the car behaviour and laptime with specific track/ambient settings ?
Also, each generation add more and more settings, making it harder everytime.

I don't really want myself to spend a month trying tons of settings, I just want to drive, because such games are sold as "driving simulator" not "settings simulator", but Simbin and Kunos among others sim maker looks like to drop a game then let their customer deals with it alone, poor/no documentation, rely on community to do the job, no settings for various driving wheel provided to start. Too bad.

In general the AI not only lacks intelligence, but also those important human factors like character, stamina and mistakes. On top of that I generally miss mechanical failures, little ones and the catastrophic kind. Some car parts on the track, drive over it and you may suffer a tire blown off. Oil or dirt on the track same. Some of these elements are present, but imo too little and not as a whole.

In general, despite all the eye candy, tracks and racing are too clinical.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back