Has anyone successfully used "Autocalibrate AI Mode" in GTR2?

Shovas

Premium
Has anyone successfully used "Autocalibrate AI Mode" in GTR2?

This in the GameData\User\User.PLR file.

Sure would help if I could improve AI lines for some mod tracks.

Hey Shovas,
Yes I did use it quite a few years ago and it worked as intended. I'm just not sure it worth the hassle with so much car/track combos in GTR2.

Hey Shovas,
Yes I did use it quite a few years ago and it worked as intended. I'm just not sure it worth the hassle with so much car/track combos in GTR2.
That's great to hear. What were the steps to get it working?

I plan to use it for tuning P&G cars to tracks they weren't tuned to drive on so it'll be worth it for me.

I recon it's the same as for rFactor, not at my rig at the moment. I'll look up for a tutorial.

On another note, as you mentioned PnG, I just installed it and it is a masterpiece, however the AI crash a lot on almost every track. Many times they just simply can't make the corner. What's the catch? Can you give me your AI settings in the .plr file? Mine are almost at the default values. Right now it is basically unusable.

By the way, thanks for all the work you've put into GTR2, really appreciated!

Edit: now that I try to remember, I'm not sure it was GTR2 in which I did the AI training stuff. I know for sire that I used it in rFactor, AMS and probably in rF2 as well, just don't take my word on using it in GTR2. Problem is there's no chat window in the main race screen in GTR2 and that's where you can track the progress of the AI learning process. Anyways, search for a tutorial for using it in rFactor, it might help.

Last edited:
I always thought the "autocalibrate" might be similar to the "training AI" feature in rfactor, but I've never seen any information so haven't tried.

As for P&G, there is an option during install to tweak some plr file settings to improve AI; these older cars do not have the grip and braking ability of newer cars so the AI do not adapt well at some tracks. It will also help to give them decent setups (I give them my setups with just a slightly higher top gear).

I've found lots of rF2 and GSCE docs on Autocalibrate AI Mode, like this one:

Great info but I can't seem to make it work in GTR2.

I bet the P&G team made the AI work well-enough on original content tracks but of course couldn't do it for mod tracks so it feels especially sub-par on those.

hello good everyone. I think it's like F1 Challenge. you set the value to 1 and the game adapts to your level.
Any idea how? Like, does it adjust while you're out on track? Do you have to be in a certain type of session? Does it take multiple races? Does it save files anywhere? Is it persistent or just for one race?

I'll run some qualifying and races and AB them to see if I can figure out what it's doing.

Here's some observations from testing Autocalibrate AI Mode

Summary:

Autocalibrate seems to be doing something. It's sort of a rubberbanding if it's anything. It doesn't exactly feel bad to race. It feels better to race than not having it, in my opinion, on stock AI.

Details:
  • Session 2 (Simulation mode only):
    • Autocalibrate+Power disabled:
      • AI fell far behind and never showed signs of catching up
    • Autocalibrate+Power enabled:
      • AI kept within respectable distance and caught up near the end
  • Session 1:
    • Novice acted as I would have guessed whereas Simulation acted the opposite
    • Novice: Autocalibrate+Power Calibration seemed to make AI more competitive but also more rubber-bandy
    • Simulation: Autocalibrate+Power Calibration seemed to make AI less competitive
    • I think I need to do more tests and control for:
      • Pick a car with only one year/version (eg. not Ferrari 575 which has 03/04 models). Perhaps the BMW M3 GTR.
        • Random AI Talent may be messing up results: Pick a car with only one AI Talent
        • Grid Position: Was on random but I should stick to a fixed grid position
      • These notes were acted on in Session 2 tests
Tests:

Session 2:

Simulation, Donington GP 04, Single Makes - BMW M3 GTR (1 AI Talent), 3 AI, AI 100, Real Aggression, 8am rolling start, Race Weekend (No prac/qual/warm), Race Time 0:12

Autocalibrate AI Mode=1
AI Power Calibration=7 (All)

Ahead by 2.5s by lap 5, last lap they caught up to almost 0sec behind but only briefly, I was ahead by 1sec at the finish

My best lap: 1:31.959

AI best laps: 1:31.363, 1:31.440, 1:31.502

Autocalibrate AI Mode=0
AI Power Calibration=0 (None)

Ahead by 3.5sec by lap 5, 5sec by lap 8, AI never showed signs of catching up

My Best lap: 1:31.940

AI best laps: 1:31.799, 1:31.823, 1:31.879

Session 1:

Simulation, Donington GP 04, Single Makes - Ferrari 575, 3 AI, AI 100, Real Aggression, 8am Start, Rolling Start, Grid Position 1, Race Weekend (No prac/qual/warm), Race Time 0:12

Autocalibrate AI Mode=1

Ahead 5sec by lap 3, 9sec on lap 6, AI never showed signs of being able to catch up.

AI best laps 1:27.0, 1:27.5, 1:28.5 compared to my 1:26.6

Autocalibrate AI Mode=1

Got ahead 7sec+ by the fifth lap, crashed late and AI got within 1sec, then I built it up to 2sec again. I don't think they would've caught up at all if I didn't crash.

AI best laps were 1:26.6, 1:27.4, 1:28.0 compared to my 1:26.6

Autocalibrate AI Mode=0

Never got ahead of next AI more than 2.5sec. AI eventually came back to within ~0.9s for the last few laps.

AI best laps were high 1:26 and mid 1:27 and one 1:30 outlier.

Novice, Donington GP 04, Single Makes - Ferrari 575, 3 AI, AI 100, Real Aggression, 8am rolling start, Race Weekend (No prac/qual/warm), Race Time 0:12

Autocalibrate AI Mode=1

Next AI was always within 0.5-1.5s for many laps, eventually got ahead by 2.5s, then they closed the gap a little

AI bests laps were much closer to might like 1:26.960 and low 1:27s

Autocalibrate AI Mode=1

Got ahead by 8 seconds with 8 laps or so, crashed, back down to 0.5s, then worked back up to 4sec ahead

AI best laps were 1:30+ I was 1:26.607

Autocalibrate AI Mode=0

Got ahead by 5sec+ by lap 3 but not much more for the rest of the race. Next AI came back to within 1.5-2.5sec. AI best laps were 1:27s compared to my 1:26.709.

Last edited:
Here's some observations from testing Autocalibrate AI Mode
  • Session 2 (Simulation mode only):
    • Autocalibrate+Power disabled:
      • AI fell far behind and never showed signs of catching up
    • Autocalibrate+Power enabled:
      • AI kept within respectable distance and caught near the end

Added second session details where I controlled for single car version, single AI talent, and grid position.

Can't think of anymore things to control for at this point.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea