Hamilton Ties Future to Mercedes With New Two-Year F1 Deal

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hamilton New Mercedes Contract.jpg

4 time WDC Lewis Hamilton secures new two-year contract with defending champions Mercedes, locking down his future to the three-pointed star in Formula One.

Hamilton, the most successful British driver in the history of the sport, has secured a new two-year extension to his AMG Mercedes Formula One contract that will see the 33-year-old commit to Mercedes until the end of the 2020 season, potentially extending an association with the brand for an incredible 22 years, a successful period that has earnt the British star four Drivers World Championships titles and 65 Grand Prix victories with both McLaren and the works Mercedes team.

Speaking of the announcement on the build up to this weekend's German Grand Prix, Hamilton was understandably delighted with his new deal, one that could make Hamilton the best paid driver on the current grid:

"It is a really exciting time for me," he explained. "I've been with Mercedes since I was 13, when I came home and saw Ron Dennis had called and said McLaren and Mercedes wanted to play a part in supporting me.

"So, it has been a huge journey. Really long but very special. I have so many great memories from the whole experience, of past drivers and growing up.

"I am really proud to be part of this family and particularly what it has grown to be. I was at the factory earlier this week and I love being there, with the energy and the atmosphere.

"Knowing how hard everyone is working to help us all achieve our primary objective, it is a great feeling. Really exciting."

2017/18 team mate Valtteri Bottas remains a free agent at the end of the season, with the Finn expected to be confirmed at Mercedes for 2019 in the coming weeks....

Check the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more news and discussion as it happens. Get yourself involved today and join in with the community!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think Hamilton will call time on Formula One at the end of his new contract? Can the Brit beat Michael Schumacher's 7 WDC record before ending his career? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Forty Million pounds a year.

Let that sink in. That's quite lucrative.

Edit; he won't beat Michael's record and I will be very impressed if he wins this season.

Oh I'm sure he'll win it now.
His mind is not elsewhere now. :rolleyes:
40 you say huh ?
Let's not be jealous guys... just imagine poor guy taxes now eh ? :unsure:

As much as I dislike the person I admire the driver, not on the same level as I did for Michael, as he at least had to drive a mediocre car to victory at some point where Hamilton always had one of the best cars on the grid, one has to admit he sure knows how to win.

Sadly, Hamilton is not the kind of driver that F1 needs.

As much as I dislike the person I admire the driver, not on the same level as I did for Michael, as he at least had to drive a mediocre car to victory at some point where Hamilton always had one of the best cars on the grid, one has to admit he sure knows how to win.

Sadly, Hamilton is not the kind of driver that F1 needs.
2009 McLaren.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea