Hamilton signs for Mercedes!!

Whatever he is or isn't, or however we choose to percieve the man, I'll say this. That as a long supporter of F1 he is one hell of a driver, great fun too watch when things go well. I hope things do go well for him at Mercedes. I think we're in for some interesting next few seasons.

"In an interview with Ross Brawn, Ross says when he asked Lewis what he wanted from a team, the only thing he said was equality, not number 1 status. Ross was totally surprised and impressed by it."

---

"In the end I had two offers on the table which were very similar but one was a lot more exciting. It's just a challenge.
"I could stay in the great car that I have, which I've worked really hard to help develop with the team, or go to a car that's not so well developed and help it."
Hamilton is not shying away from the fact that Mercedes' current competitive situation is not as good as McLaren, but believes in the long term he can help move it forward.
"No, I'm fully aware the car at the moment is not a world championship-winning car," he said.
"The car that I'm in right now is a car that I've developed. Next year will be an evolution of the car that I've helped develop and that will be a championship contender.
"But we [Mercedes] will work very, very hard to have a better year next year, but it takes time. You don't just arrive and things change. I think the focus is more long-term."

Maybe he knows something we don´t.... or simply wanted to get out before he rots at Mclaren.

Now i just realized why we have been arguing the last day....
It all became crystal clear now. It was never really about Alonso or Mclaren.

First, if you start going personal again I will report the comment.

Second, I just don't believe in a super competitive sport, where the differences are defined by details, somebody just rejects to have a better position in the team to achieve his objectives.

BRAWN: - Here Nico, here you have the new wing, we think it's 0.1s faster. We only have one so be careful with it.
ROSBERG: - No, no, give it to Hamilton, I don't want to be nr1
HAMILTON: - No, no, take it Nico, I don't want to have any advantage over you
BRAW: - Ok guys, let's drop a coin ok?
HAM&ROS: - Weeeeeeee!

Yes, I totally see that happening in F1 :rolleyes:

That Hamilton never asked to be Nr. 1 in Mercedes to sign for them? Ok, fine, if Brawn says it... but that he asked NOT TO BE Nr. 1 :roflmao:

You just confirmed my earlier post.

Why would they only show up with one wing? both are equal status, both are old friends from karting who used to share hotel rooms with each other.
They don´t have an ego which i know you really want to believe.

They both get one wing each, this is normal in F1, are you sure you watch a lot of Formula 1 these days?

Hamilton asked for equality, meaning none of them is nr1 or nr2.
Again i can see how this can shake your world view but that´s just how it is believe it or not.
But of course they could all be lying and only Nando speaking the truth, maybe we should ask him.

The only reason he asked for equal status is because he's confident he'll beat Rosberg. Whether he is overconfident, or he'll beat him fair and square, we'll see next season.

If he suspected Rosberg could possibly beat him, he'd ask for Number 1 status. No driver wants the enemy in his own box.

The only reason he asked for equal status is because he's confident he'll beat Rosberg. Whether he is overconfident, or he'll beat him fair and square, we'll see next season.

If he suspected Rosberg could possibly beat him, he'd ask for Number 1 status. No driver wants the enemy in his own box.

Exactly.

I'm sure he will accept equity, but not ask for it on other's favour or reject nr.1 status, no F1 driver would do that because they are the most competitive characters in the world and they want the best for themselves. All of them without exception, that's how you get there, with talent and ambition.

Please explain the nr1 and nr2 status.

Also if you can, go through a scenario where Massa next year starts to beat Alonso.
(like he did with Kimi one year)

Talk me through the process of this nr1 and nr2 status and how it changes from the two drivers.

And in case you did not know, Alonso and Massa have gotten the same parts at the same time from the team since the start.
So if we exclude the parts thing, what do we have left? The number on the car?
Pit stop priority? I think that goes for track position so we can scratch that as well.
Do Ferrari nerf Massa´s car to be slower then Alonso´s? How logical does that sound?
Not very logical at all.

So what do we have left for this nr1 and nr2? Could it be (wild guess here) that the drivers decides through their own performance if they are a nr1 like their teammate or a guy that has fallen behind i.e a nr2? (but still get the same parts at the same time, equal cars etc)

Please explain the nr1 and nr2 status.

Also if you can, go through a scenario where Massa next year starts to beat Alonso.
(like he did with Kimi one year)

Talk me through the process of this nr1 and nr2 status and how it changes from the two drivers.

And in case you did not know, Alonso and Massa have gotten the same parts at the same time from the team since the start.
So if we exclude the parts thing, what do we have left? The number on the car?
Pit stop priority? I think that goes for track position so we can scratch that as well.
Do Ferrari nerf Massa´s car to be slower then Alonso´s? How logical does that sound?
Not very logical at all.

So what do we have left for this nr1 and nr2? Could it be (wild guess here) that the drivers decides through their own performance if they are a nr1 like their teammate or a guy that has fallen behind i.e a nr2? (but still get the same parts at the same time, equal cars etc)

I've always said nr 1 in Ferrari it's the driver who proved to be faster in the 1st half of the season and therefore has more title chances, while the ohter has to help and get constructor points. That is how it always worked at Ferrari.

I've seen a theory about Alonso needing to be nr 1 in a video you posted, so it's not really me the one thinking being nr 1 is important, except in particular cases where is not being nr 1, is more the team disliking on of their drivers.

Basically we agree then, and that's why Hamilton would not ask to be nr 1, and would not ask to be treated equal either, because in case of the team willing to favourite a driver, any F1 driver would be happy to be favourited, that would mean one rival less for the championship.

No actually we dont agree.
Hamilton asked for equality begause Rosberg is german and is in a german team.
He also never asked for nr1 status because as we have concluded already, it's a fictional thing.

I dont buy the ferrari thing either as it makes very little sense in every way possible.

The only Ferrari thing i can say is somewhat nr1 or 2 if we shall use that term is they through history have tried to have two unequal drivers, the contrary to Mclaren who prefer two very strong drivers and lets them have at it.

No actually we dont agree.
Hamilton asked for equality begause Rosberg is german and is in a german team.

Your quote was this:

"In an interview with Ross Brawn, Ross says when he asked Lewis what he wanted from a team, the only thing he said was equality, not number 1 status. Ross was totally surprised and impressed by it."

As fas as I understood it, it suggested Hamilton also did not want to be Nr .1, that he asked not to be nr. 1.

In fact is the only way the sentence makes any sense because Brawn or any other team principal won't be surprised for any driver asking for equality, because it's the minimum any driver will ask. It's like if he's surprised and impresed because HAM only wanted a car with four wheels (hope nobody does Tyrrel joke).

I never said HAM asked for nr. 1 status, I don't believe he did and anyway he won't get that with Rosberg with him.

He also never asked for nr1 status because as we have concluded already, it's a fictional thing.

I dont buy the ferrari thing either as it makes very little sense in every way possible.

The only Ferrari thing i can say is somewhat nr1 or 2 if we shall use that term is they through history have tried to have two unequal drivers, the contrary to Mclaren who prefer two very strong drivers and lets them have at it.

There you have what a nr. 1 and nr. 2 is on the Ferrari style, but at Williams.

Williams sacrifices Patrese to force Senna's tyres and then Mansell gets the win (not talking about the spin that was unfortunate, but Mansell letting him pass before knowing he will take position back with team orders later). That is having one driver working for the other because their difference on title chances.

They won't do this in race 1 of the season, but at the time on Monza race Patrese was working for Mansell and the team because he had no chance to win the championship.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.