GTR2 Reshade Preset - I like it!

Hey!

CREDIT - none of the below is my work and all credit goes to Retrolux for his reshade and the author of the raceroom preset which I've used for GTR2. Most peeps here will know how to assemble this but I'm not the best of writers so I live in hope my explanation below will suffice. If I need permission then let me know. Also I use HQ Anniversary Patch with GTR2.

Okie dokie. I love GTR2 but I wanted more vibrant colours so things stand out more in VR. I tried GEMFX and loads of other stuff but always hit the D3D9.DLL problem - otherwords I'm already using CrewChief's d3d9.dll so I can access all CrewChief's goodies and you can only use one d3d9.dll at a time. I tried everything but met failure.

Anyhoo - RD user Retrolux has a version of reshade for GTR2 that doesn't require the use of a d3d9.dll - awesome! It's good but I was still looking for more dynamic colours, more clarity.

First bit first: *I know peeps like their own NI settings but just try*

1st: DIsable AA using ADMIN rights in GTR2 Config.
2nd: After zillions of hours testing I have found using Nvidia Inspector and then finding GTR2 in the drop down list and then set it to antialiasing compatibility to "Diablo"; then further down set antialiasing mode to "overide"; then set antialiasing setting to 8XS (combined 1x2SS + 4XMS); then set antialiasing transparency supersampling to "2X sparse grid supersampling" - looks the best for me and still decent FPS. In steamvr I then use 144% supersample (6700K/RTX 2070 Super).

Second bit:

I grabbed a preset named Raceroom 2020 which I think makes the colours much better for VR and the performance hit is ONLY about another 5% for me compared to not using reshade at all. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it looks more sharper, more dynamic and just better overall IMO. The file is attached - not my work and the credits are in the file. (It says sweetfx but it works.)

What I then did was this. I grabbed Retrolux's 1st version of his Reshade for GTR2 (the other ones i had problems with FPS jumping up considerably so must be 1st version) from here.... https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/retrolux-reshade-gtr2.42342/version/74395/download and then follow instructions and install.

Once the above is installed I then grabbed this shader pack from here... https://github.com/martymcmodding/qUINT and then dropped it into the "shader" folder of reshade within GTR2.

I then found "Retrolux's VR" preset file in reshade within GTR2 and then deleted all the data text from it and then copy and pasted all the info' from the attached reshade preset file in its place. Make sure to select save when closing the text file.

Once you've done all of the above go and boot up GTR2 and once in the game press ctrl and home to check the file is active - if there is a "Retrolux VR" file showing and underneath it a tick by "lightroom" then all is okay.

For me this is the best looking GTR2 in VR and no doubt it has the same affect (effect!? Bah :D) on monitors also.

Attachments

• SweetFX_Settings_b'RaceRoom Racing'_b'RaceRoom 2020'.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I've only tried it in VR so far and I'm not sure (don't think you can) I can do screen shots in VR but when I try it on the triple tomorrows I will do and that will also be my first look with it on monitors. Can't see how it can be any worse as in VR it seems to bring more life like lighting due to the colours - well, in my humble opinion.

Edit: Another thing 8XS is combined 1x2SS + 4XMS

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes